anyone heard using sweetners (splenda) instead of real sugar

Options
anyone heard using sweetners (splenda) instead of real sugar causes your body to think u need added calories??? or have you heard something simular???

mabe i should try using honey in my tea instead of splenda

Replies

• joany
    joany Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have heard that. Dr. Weil suggests using Stevia. It's a natural product and now is available in the U.S. Check it out; it's in the sugar area in the store.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Yes! It is much healthier to use natural sweeteners like stevia and agave and even sugar--just in small amounts. The recommendation for sugar intake is no more than 100cals a day--that is one chocolate chip cookie...not much! I know most people go way over that (including me)
  • amg5157
    amg5157 Posts: 52
    Options
    WOW didnt know that about Splenda...guess maybe I shouldnt put 7 packets in my coffee each morning.. lol
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Yes. From what I've heard, read and personally experienced...anything artificial will not satisfy as well as the real thing.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've heard it but it is one of those unsubstantiated reports that floats around the internet. Mostly based on individual experiences. I have never experienced this.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think that goes along with replacing it in recipes cups at a time - using a couple of packets here and there for coffee or tea wouldn't make much difference
  • anouck_vantroy
    Options
    My dietician recommended cutting all artificial sweeteners. According to her it fuels cravings. I stopped drinking or eating anything with artificial sweeteners, especially aspartame (Nutrasweet). And guess what... My cravings for chocolate and candy are almost gone. And my headaches too.
    She suggested Agave syrup instead. The taste is great and it dissolves great in liquids.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance. When I eat something that causes my insulin to spike... I can feel it pretty quickly - the best way I can describe it is that my brain gets "foggy" - I have a hard time focusing and processing information. What I've noticed is that when I use an artificial sweetener, I get the same brain fog that I get when I eat sugar... but with the artificial stuff... it lasts longer.

It is a serious enough concern that I do not drink "diet" drinks and drive my car... it makes me feel almost the same as being a little drunk.
  • Lparault
    Lparault Posts: 100
    Options
    I don't know what they use to sweeten Mug Diet Rootbeer, but I use it to curb cravings for sugar. It tastes just like the real thing, and it seems to fool my brain into thinking I've had sugar. I use spelnda on my cheerios every morning, same deal. Don't really crave sugar unless I actually eat some...then I'm screwed for a couple of days battling the cravings.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance. When I eat something that causes my insulin to spike... I can feel it pretty quickly - the best way I can describe it is that my brain gets "foggy" - I have a hard time focusing and processing information. What I've noticed is that when I use an artificial sweetener, I get the same brain fog that I get when I eat sugar... but with the artificial stuff... it lasts longer.

It is a serious enough concern that I do not drink "diet" drinks and drive my car... it makes me feel almost the same as being a little drunk.

I get this way too! OMG, I thought I was crazy! I also have PCOS and insulin resistance. Never connected the dots till just now.
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    I haven't experienced this. My concern is more with the possible side affects of the artificial "chemical" sweeteners in general. I use quite a bit, but am thinking I should cut back "just in case" there's any validity to the online concerns.

My husband is diabetic so we have lots of artificial "chemical" sweeteners in the house for cooking, baking, and beverages which of course we both consume. But I think I need to go back to exploring using more fruit (fresh and concentrates) in my cooking and baking rather than the artificial sweeteners. I have a cookbook called "Sweet and Sugarfree" by Karen E. Barkie that has recipes using fruit-sweetened desserts. Of course the calories in them would be higher than when using the artificial sweeteners, but I've learned so much on MFP about adjusting recipes to lower calories that I think I'll be revisiting this book using my new knowledge about substitutions (and about "portions".) :wink: [I recently added delicious apples to rhubarb (after my daughter suggested it), and it made a very enjoyable sauce with no need for any additional sweetener. Since I use applesauce in various ways to replace oils, this was a happy discovery that will allow me further experimentation using the apple/rhubarb sauce.]

Around here Stevia is quite expensive. Does anyone know of a reputable site that maybe sells Stevia or Truvia a little cheaper?
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I've read that because the artificial stuff tastes so many times sweeter than sugar it makes you want more sweet things. I do use splenda brown sugar blend (2 tsp) in my morning oatmeal. I used to be a huge pop junkie and did the switch to diet. I've pretty much cut it out all together after hearing so many negatives. I'll have one if I'm really craving it but find I can no longer drink alot which is okay by me. If I'm baking or something I go for the real stuff. I try to limit it (real and artificial) and thankfully I rarely have those "cravings."
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    For me splenda works.......I don't add sugar to anything, and I avoid all sweets, but everyday I have a grapefruit with splenda sprinkled on top and it satisfies just fine and I never crave anything afterwards.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

I get this way too! OMG, I thought I was crazy! I also have PCOS and insulin resistance. Never connected the dots till just now.

Nope - you're not crazy! My understanding (through research) is that artificial sweeteners can trigger your body to produce insulin expecting to have "sugar" to break down... and when it can't find the sugar it just kind of bounces around for awhile. For those of who have insulin resistance our cells already don't readily accept the insulin so it makes us kind of "foggy". Interesting, hu?
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    I've baked with splenda and its directions say to substitute 1 for 1 for the sugar. My recipe called for 1 cup of sugar, but I usually cut back a little (just like I don't use salt, or at least cut back on it), SO I only used 1/2 cup of the splenda instead of a whole cup. For my taste, the result was STILL too sweet, so when I made the recipe again I used 1/4 cup of splenda instead of the 1 cup of sugar called for in the recipe. If I were only making it for myself, I would probably cut it back even a little more, but my husband usually likes things a little sweeter than I do, so it was a good compromise. Point is: substituting one splenda for one sugar would have been like eating pure sugar/splenda! :sick: This particular recipe had apples in it, and they were already providing sweetness.

For me, using the artificial sweeteners was EASY when baking, so I kind of fell into using them more and more. I'm glad for some of the posts I've seen here on MFP, because they have reminded me that as long as I'm cooking/baking my own recipes anyway, then why not go the "natural" way? I doubt that our house will ever be artificial sweetener free, but I know that we can indeed "cut back" on the amount that we consume. :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Around here Stevia is quite expensive. Does anyone know of a reputable site that maybe sells Stevia or Truvia a little cheaper?

If you have a Trader Joes nearby, I buy a container of Stevia for $6 that has 300 servings. I've been using it exclusively for almost a year. It is an herb. (or a plant leaf, to be exact) and is sold as a dietary supplement.

Granted you can't use it for baking, but for me grains are pretty bad too, so I don't bake any more anyway. I try to get all my sugars from dairy and fruit. (except for the once a week splurge on a donut or cookie)

See the thread in my signature "Sugar is not your friend" for more......
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    While we are on the topic of artificial sweetners, so I don't post a whole new topic, I was wondering about kids and these sweetners....

When I was a kid I remember that we were never allowed diet soda or food. Granted I had a super unhealthy upbringing of processed foods and spoonfulls of sugar over cornflakes, strawberries, and in kool-aide, but this was a rule that was drilled into our heads. I remember our family doctor talking about these things causing developmental problems in children. Its always stuck in my head that kids shouldn't have these things even though it "seems" better than actual sugar.

I've noticed ALOT lately that so many kids, like uder 12, drink 'Diet' sodas. I even had a friend who made her kids milkshakes from slimfast because she thought it was better than an actual milkshake.

Regardless of whether my childhood doctor was right or not, I would never allow my child to have these things. I stand strong that whole foods are the only way to go and if it has to go through a factory, its not meant to be consumed for healths sake. But I am curious if there is evidence that these artificial sweeteners are actually causing problems in the development of our youth? When I suggested to a friend that maybe the reason her son gets sick all the time and has such a poor appetite and is so underweight and frail and bones break so easily...... was possibly the 5-6 diet cokes her 11 year old was consuming. She stood strong that their doctor said diet was better than regular. ({SIGH}) To each his own I guess....
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I rarely use sugar but when I do I use whey low which is all natural, they have a brown sugar also. my family can't tell the difference. Its a 1 to 1 substitute also which makes it easy. You can buy it on line and in some health food stores. With Splenda I could always taste the artificial taste.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    While we are on the topic of artificial sweetners, so I don't post a whole new topic, I was wondering about kids and these sweetners....

When I was a kid I remember that we were never allowed diet soda or food. Granted I had a super unhealthy upbringing of processed foods and spoonfulls of sugar over cornflakes, strawberries, and in kool-aide, but this was a rule that was drilled into our heads. I remember our family doctor talking about these things causing developmental problems in children. Its always stuck in my head that kids shouldn't have these things even though it "seems" better than actual sugar.

I've noticed ALOT lately that so many kids, like uder 12, drink 'Diet' sodas. I even had a friend who made her kids milkshakes from slimfast because she thought it was better than an actual milkshake.

Regardless of whether my childhood doctor was right or not, I would never allow my child to have these things. I stand strong that whole foods are the only way to go and if it has to go through a factory, its not meant to be consumed for healths sake. But I am curious if there is evidence that these artificial sweeteners are actually causing problems in the development of our youth? When I suggested to a friend that maybe the reason her son gets sick all the time and has such a poor appetite and is so underweight and frail and bones break so easily...... was possibly the 5-6 diet cokes her 11 year old was consuming. She stood strong that their doctor said diet was better than regular. ({SIGH}) To each his own I guess....

I agree - there is an epidemic now of kids consuming entirely too much sugar artificial and real. I know people who give their kids crystal light, and diet sodas all the time several times a day - thinking well it has to be better than kool-aid or regular soda - well yes they are "Sugar" free, but they contain so many added chemicals that are far worse than sugar. If you're looking for something for your kids to drink why not try WATER? My 5 year old gets nothing to drink except skim milk, water, and diluted 100% juice - I don't even give him straight juice and guess what he likes it better that way. On special occasions he will get to have a soda - like birthday parties - but that is rare! If I buy him juice boxes for traveling we get either juicy juice or capri sun roaring waters. He has never had a cavity and is very healthy for a 5 year old. I hear from other parents all the time about how often their kids are sick or that they've already had two or three cavities and I just want to go into this lecture about what they are allowing their kids to eat or drink.....Anyway sorry to go off on this little tangent, but the nutrition of kids today is a little pet peeve of mine :ohwell:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    giggle.gif

When I was a kid I would say, "I'm thristy, can I have a drink?" (Hoping for KoolAid, lemonade, or Coke)

My grandma (who is STILL in my head, God rest her soul) would say, "See that faucet? Turn those handles, and put a glass under it."