Pre-workout snacks

Options
I am going to start going to the gym a few times a week on Monday (with my best friend). Due to our schedules, we're going to be going after I get off work. I eat lunch, on most days, between 1:30 and 2:30- though I occasionally eat between 12:30 and 1:30. I get off work around 6:30, so we'd probably start working out AFTER 7pm.

I'm definitely going to need some kind of snack in between there- which I'll probably eat in the car on the way to the gym (a 15-20 minute drive depending on traffic). I can also eat part of the snack while working on some days, but it will depend on the day, etc. I can't guarantee it.

I do work in a nut-free school, so I can't have peanut butter or anything like that as a pre-workout snack and eat it at work.

Currently, my calorie goal is to eat over 2000 calories (I'm gradually lowering my intake) so I'm not overly concerned about my snack being too high in calories.

Replies

• RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I make protein waffles and freeze them. When I want them, I put them in the toaster and put syrup & whipped cream on them but you could use jam so it's easy to take with you :)
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    This might be a no-no, since they say you should eat protein AFTER a workout not before, but I eat a protein bar on the way to the gym. I often workout right after work, and if I don't eat something, I'm STARVING while working out. And I think a protein bar is preferable to me passing out!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I take a small peanut butter sandwich with me for days I weight lift for a quick snack....gives me a small boost of quick carbs to perk me up with the benefit of protein for the work out. I usually eat it right as I am leaving work...which gives me about a 30 minutes time period for the sandwich to settle a bit. If I run...I don't worry about the snack...I don't like to run with much in my belly lol.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I take a small peanut butter sandwich with me for days I weight lift for a quick snack....gives me a small boost of quick carbs to perk me up with the benefit of protein for the work out. I usually eat it right as I am leaving work...which gives me about a 30 minutes time period for the sandwich to settle a bit. If I run...I don't worry about the snack...I don't like to run with much in my belly lol.
    Since OP can't have peanut butter..how about an alternative, like almond butter?

I don't like to eat a lot before working out, but I grab a banana sometimes, I find it filling.
  • Nessa0506
    Options
    Jason PB make small packets or you can get little plastic cups to hold PB. Other suggestions is sliced turkey with apple. Yogurt and granola, walnuts, make your own trail mix.

I love the protein waffle idea. I might have to try that!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I would have some coffee with coconut oil (I personally have tea sometimes but because the caffeine content is lower you might want to use two teabags) and/or raw cocoa, a few nuts and an apple or banana. Either or all of these things are fine. But there is nothing wrong with training completely fasted or just having a pre workout formula. I know some that do intermittent fasting (never tried it myself) train at 9am without having any food since 6pm the night before. I would not try this if a) you are relatively new and b) if mass gaining is your primary goal.
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I, personally, can have peanut butter. I just wanted to have the option of being able to eat my snack at work, and I work at a NUT FREE school- in a classroom of a child with a severe nut allergy. That being said, if I wait to have my snack, I love Justin's maple almond butter packets on bananas- I just need nut-free options as well.

What about Chobani champion's tubes? They're Greek yogurt in tubes- about 70 calories and 5-8 grams of protein (don't remember the exact number). Sorta like gogurt, but tastier.
  • xtrmtrnng
    Options
    This might be a no-no, since they say you should eat protein AFTER a workout not before, but I eat a protein bar on the way to the gym. I often workout right after work, and if I don't eat something, I'm STARVING while working out. And I think a protein bar is preferable to me passing out!

Actually eating protein before a workout helps spare muscle. There is science behind it, and bodybuilders that are actually making gains are also the ones typically taking protein or BCAAs before a workout. We don't really want to just lose weight; we really want to lose fat weight. Therefore, taking some protein before a workout helps achieve that goal.

Also, taking more protein after a workout is certainly necessary for bodybuilding to help stop muscle destruction and to take advantage of the anabolic state to drive protein synthesis and start building muscle right away. Therefore, you are right about what "they say", but you're also not wrong about preworkout protein consumption.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I work out at 7:00pm. I usually have Greek yogurt and muesli around 5:30. The mix of carbs and protein seem to give me plenty of energy for bootcamp.
  • pepprmntkel
    Options
    I think a mix of carb and protein is good for energy. I like a rice cake with peanut butter. After a workout, especially weights, I try to get some protein. I'll eat some beef jerky or raw almonds or just a spoonful of peanut butter. I really like peanut butter :)
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I, personally, can have peanut butter. I just wanted to have the option of being able to eat my snack at work, and I work at a NUT FREE school- in a classroom of a child with a severe nut allergy. That being said, if I wait to have my snack, I love Justin's maple almond butter packets on bananas- I just need nut-free options as well.

What about Chobani champion's tubes? They're Greek yogurt in tubes- about 70 calories and 5-8 grams of protein (don't remember the exact number). Sorta like gogurt, but tastier.

How about sunflower butter? Its about the same texture as nut butters, just the taste is a bit different.
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Fruit! All the sugar for all the energy! Works for me anyway. My workouts are usually very early in the morning, before I would even consider sitting down for breakfast. But I try to eat one or two pieces of fruit (oranges and apples are particularly good at perking me up), or toast with honey, and I always include a glass of almond milk. It keeps me going for the hour I'll be moving until I get home to eat a real breakfast.
  • rosemous
    Options
    I usually have a piece of low fat cheese or a protein bar to tide me over until dinner and get me through my after work workout.