So I Bought Some Oats......What Now?

Options
p1nkpr1ncess
p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
Hi everyone!

I have fancied trying oaty breakfasts for a while now and saw some good recipes on here but can't find them now so wondered if anyone could help me?

As it's warming up weather-wise I didn't really want them warm. I used to soak them in a yoghurt overnight and add some fruit, but would I be able to soak them in water? Or Milk?

Please tell me your favourite oaty recipe and give me loads of ideas for my massive bag of oats that I've just bought! Haha!
-x-x-

Replies

• cmurphy04722
    cmurphy04722 Posts: 254
    Options
    I may be boring, but this morning I mixed my 5-grain oats with unsweetened soy milk and heated for about 2-3 minutes. Then I added sliced strawberries and mixed. So delicious and nutritious!

Best of luck, I don't have major recipes for my oats, I just make various oatmeals out of them :-)
  • littleitaly
    Options
    i add them to fruit smoothies. just throw them in the blender with the fresh fruit and juices and yogurt. mmm...
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I don't soak them. I just add them to a little yogurt or cottage cheese with some frozen berries, cinnamon, and eat!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    This one is my favourite whenever I'm not eating All-Bran this is what I have for breakfast. I put this together when I had bought a bag of apples and needed to finish them before the went bad.

Breakfast Apple Cinnamon Oat Slushy

2 small apples – chopped with peeling
    3 tbsp quick oats
    1/8 tsp cinnamon
    1-cup ice
    ½ cup light cranberry juice
    1 packet sweetener (optional)

Directions: combine all ingredients except ice, blend. Add ice, blend until smooth. * Serves 1.

WW Points: 2

* I recently bought Pom juice b/c of all the antioxidants and using a ½ cup of that instead, eliminating cinnamon and definitely using sweetener (since its so tart) is great - still only 2 points. I made my smoothie for today last night and it was still great. A+ from the hubby who is not a fan of the blender at 6:30 am, lol!

Another option (although a little more annoying in my opinion, both cooking and blending? Ugh!)

Avena (Oatmeal Shake)

½ cup quick oats
    1 cup boiling water
    ½ cup skim milk
    ½ cup ice
    4 packets of sweetener
    1 tsp cinnamon

Directions: Add 1 cup boiling water to oats, let stand 1-2 minutes until it becomes thick. In a blender add milk, sweetener and cinnamon. Add oats and ice. Blend on high until very smooth. Chill in refrigerator or pour in a glass over ice.

• spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I think I'm pretty boring too. I don't usually soak mine either. I add them to yogurt. That shake recipe sounds pretty good though!
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

That shake idea sounds yummmmy! Deffinately going to give that a go - think I might have to treat myself to a new blender as mine is a bit rubbish!

Keep them coming if you have any nice recipe ideas, going to try one tomorrow for my brekkie :)
    -x-x-
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    Chuck a cupful in a pan, add 200ml of 2% milk.

Heat up and simmer for 5 mins.

Add:

Low fat Jam/Jelly

or nothing.

Best way to have it IMHO :) I just have mine with a sprinkling of Splenda (low fat sugar substitute)
    Keeps you full for hours.
  • keeleysn
    keeleysn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hubby thinks its gross but I just boil my water and dump it on a 1/2 cup of oats and a tlbs of peanut butter with a dash of salt. I love it!! You got your protein and carb all in one!