Banana Intolerance

Options
I am unable to eat a raw banana without experiencing severe abdominal discomfort ( not even one slice!) but am able eat cooked bananas (the enzymes are broken down and are easier to digest). For those of you with the same issue, have any of you tried to eat a frozen banana (perhaps in a smoothie) and if so, did you get the same reaction as eating a raw banana? I would love to start putting frozen bananas in my shakes but I don't want to "give it a try" and end up on the couch in agony for a day.

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that bananas were wreaking havok in my gut, and I started putting aloe vera flesh in my smoothies and it fixed it. I have bananas every day, and often have two. I will have two today as Ibought a lot and they are ready to be eaten!! I thought my nephews and neice would eat more, as they usually do. But it worked. Here is my aloe thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/761066-aloe-vera-flesh?hl=aloe+flesh&page=1#posts-11366974
  • kimmcconkey
    kimmcconkey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks neandermagnon" that makes perfect sense. I never thought of cooking them first then freezing them. I think I'll mash them, cook them in the oven then freeze them in ice cube trays. I'll let you know what happens!
  • Jedi_Jewel
    Jedi_Jewel Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with bananas. I was able to eat them with no problems until I hit 30. Avocados do the same thing to me. No one ever believes me!! Your post made me feel a lot better about myself, LOL!!

How do you cook bananas? :ohwell:
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I don't get it, if they mess you up why not just choose another fruit?
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with bananas. I was able to eat them with no problems until I hit 30. Avocados do the same thing to me. No one ever believes me!! Your post made me feel a lot better about myself, LOL!!

Do you by any chance have a latex allergy or sensitivity? I was having the same problem with those two items and a few other things when I got older. I finally found out that they are cross reactive allergens to latex, which made it all make sense, since my issue with them didn't start till I developed the latex allergy.

ETA: I may try cooking them to see of that helps, I miss bananas in my smoothies.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    The roof of my mouth feels burned after I eat a banana, and I cough. My lips tingle, too.
    Allergic more than likely.

I can eat banana bread, though.

PS: No allergic reaction to latex.
  • lpjames30
    lpjames30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love eating bananas but I’m allergic to latex. Over the years I discovered that I can eat them if they’re cooked. Now I just found out I can eat them frozen in my smoothie but I always take Benadryl before hand. This is my 2nd time trying. I’m allergic to many other fruits and vegetables. I can also eat cucumbers if I soak them in vinegar for an hour or two.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hi. Might be latex allergy/ cross reactive foods reaction. Look up cross reactive foods to latex (or natural rubber) and Many things May make a lot of sense to you. Bananas, avocados, kiwi, and chestnuts are the most commonly reacted to. ( loads of other ones are less so)

I got this issue,love bananas, but my body doesn’t. Sometimes I can eat them cooked but if my immune system is taxed due to sickness or allergy overload then I can’t even be in the same room with them- the offgassing is enough to give me headache, nausea, and difficulty breathing. Don’t take it too lightly, like a lot of allergies it can develop an anaphylaxis reaction. Not to scare - just to be aware. For me avocados are the worst tho - evil little buggers!

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    _noob_ wrote: »
    I don't get it, if they mess you up why not just choose another fruit?

Probably becsuse s/he likes the taste of them and doesn't want to give them up.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    Jedi_Jewel wrote: »

Nuking them in the micro is easiest. Cook time varies w/the micro and the desired texture. Doesn't take long to turn a banana into a gooey blob .

You can also cook a banana in a pan but you need to keep a close eye on the pan becsuse it's easy to overcook and burn the banana in a pan because of its high sugar content.

My favorite cooked banana dish is a Banana Foster. It'll decimate my cal count for the dsy but Yum!! ;)
  • lpjames30
    lpjames30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a latex allergy but since being vegetarian for almost 3 years and newly vegan the past 5 months. My body/system has changed a little but I will not play around with other fruits or foods.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Yes, the same thing used to happen to me. Severe abdominal pain to the point I'd have to lie down and wince through it. I think it was more of a digestion issue for me. I stopped eating them for many years, but decided to start back up again because I missed them. Ate it slowly and deliberately and had no issue. Still don't. Maybe try slicing it up and eating it very slowly? I never had an issue with it in a smoothie.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    Fascinating though bananas are, I dont think OP needs suggestions any more.

or is even still around to read them
  • sgt1372
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Fascinating though bananas are, I dont think OP needs suggestions any more.

or is even still around to read them

So, threads are ONLY relevant to the OP?

I think not.

Even if it's a stale thread, no one would comment if the topic of the thread wasn't still relevant to SOMEONE and since a variety of ppl have commented to this "zombie" thtread, it must still be relevant to them.

Some ppl think they are SO bright ponting out that an old thread has been ressurected and thereby implying that the point of the thread is no longer relevant but that is NOT the point of these forums.

The POINT is the interaction and exchange of ideas and if the impetus for that discussion is "dated", what does it matter?

It doesn't.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    oh dear, you seem way too serious about this. :*

No, topics are not only relevant to OP's - but advice and direct replies given to OP is irelevant if problem long ago and/or OP not around any more.

Perhaps you knew OP asked how to cook bananas in 2013 but thought your reply was still relevant to others in 2020.
    and I guess it could be - bananas are still around, microwaves are still around.

But a pattern often happens when somebody revives an ancient thread and then others answer in good faith not realising how old it is and how long ago OP asked their question.

Not sure why people pointing out that thread is ancient so people are aware of this when posting is causing you so much angst. :*