Frustrated with Lack of Encouragement

Options
Hi,
I guess I just need to vent...I have been working really hard to take the long road to my goals and get healthy changing my lifestyle. All has paid off and I am doing great! I am down 11.5lbs and I am feeling great. The problem I am having is that there is very little motivational support in my lift. I joined MFP (for a second time) because I thought I could find some motivation when there is little from friends and family. My friends and family are ok but not too supportive. They says things like "you're not fat..." Not what I need, what I need is an atta-girl sometimes. I try to comment on every one of my MFP "friends" statuses with encouragement, but everyday my statuses sit un-commented. This is tough! I was really hoping to find people on here to be motivational supports. I guess no =( Now, I am by no means quitting. I am doing this for me - not others. And I intend to continue to encourage my friends not just remove them...but it would be nice to have some sort of reciprocation!
Thanks for reading!!

Replies

• Maxibris
    Maxibris Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ATTA GIRL!!!!!!!

I can understand your frustration, you want some recognition of the progress you are making! Regardless, be proud and keep at it!

Edit: Feel free to add me if you like!
  • claudettemansour
    Options
    I need encouragement too cause I don't get much from friends or family either, so I know exactly what you mean. I'd be glad to be your MFP pal and offer all the support and encouragement I can as it's posted. my logon is claudettemansour and I'd be glad to "friend" you if you'd like -- the more encouragement and support I can get the better off I am.
  • chardia
    Options
    Great job keep it up!!
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    you can add me I comment and give support everyday.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I totally understand you. You seem to have quite a few friends and sorry, I took a peek and a couple of them haven`t logged inf or a few days. The other ones have logged in..maybe put this comment on your profile page so that they know you need encouragement? Or send PM`s to people on your friends list that seem (from their profiles) to have similar goals etc?

If they don`t support you, then cut them loose and look for some people with similar situations that can be good motivators for you?

Most of all congrats on your weight loss so far keep up the great work!!! Sometimes family and friends are not the best supporters :grumble:
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love giving support but I'm HONEST!! If your up for support AND honesty...then I'm your girl :)

and by the way...I'm now at 11.2lbs down...my hubby quit doing MFP but I refuse...I WILL attain my goals!
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I dont care much about the comments on my MFP statuses though.
    What really upsets me is that I have a calorie budget of 1,600 -- so low calorie foods, snacking A LOT.
    I get "youre fat, why are you eating AGAIN" and "god why do you have to do your exercise DVD now im watching TV!"
    from my family, so.
  • Rachelito
    Rachelito Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can add me! I try to comment on my friends status and achievements =)
  • djdirito
    djdirito Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Unless you are sick or have an eating disorder, there is no such thing as too thin (again, if you are healthy). Maybe you are not fat - by THEIR standards, but your standards and your goals are the ones that matter. They should at least respect that and encourage your efforts. Anyone who tries to improve themselves deserves a big ol' "GOOD ON YOU!" so, Atta Girl and Good on you for taking care of yourself ! It's not easy always being the cheerleader for others and it is TOTALLY okay to expect a little whoo haaaa for you in return!! Keep up the great work!
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be where I was today (5 weeks of straight logging after 3 years of "trying") without the support of MFP. All my friends are super supportive and I am right back. There are a lot of great people on here but also a lot of jerks. FInd the good ones :)

ohhh and ATTA GIRL!!!! :)

Feel free to add me for support
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I guess I just need to vent...I have been working really hard to take the long road to my goals and get healthy changing my lifestyle. All has paid off and I am doing great! I am down 11.5lbs and I am feeling great. The problem I am having is that there is very little motivational support in my lift. I joined MFP (for a second time) because I thought I could find some motivation when there is little from friends and family. My friends and family are ok but not too supportive. They says things like "you're not fat..." Not what I need, what I need is an atta-girl sometimes. I try to comment on every one of my MFP "friends" statuses with encouragement, but everyday my statuses sit un-commented. This is tough! I was really hoping to find people on here to be motivational supports. I guess no =( Now, I am by no means quitting. I am doing this for me - not others. And I intend to continue to encourage my friends not just remove them...but it would be nice to have some sort of reciprocation!
    Thanks for reading!!

Well you have 12 friends. That's nothing, get like 100. Go through people's friend's list and start adding people.

I lost 163lbs or so... no one in real life really says anything, just "you lost weight." not like they're going throw a parade for me or something. People don't really care if you lose or gain weight, it's only you.

Pu.... 1 good friend that is there for you is better than 100 friends that just clutter up your feed.

ETA if you add friends that don`t care then why bother with `friends`???
  • heathernjorge
    Options
    Hi "friend"! I think it is GREAT that you are going down the path of being healthy. I have gotten the "you're not fat" comment often, and while that may be true, I know that 174 lbs, 5'6", and a totally inactive lifestyle is not "healthy" either. If started this program not to get "skinny" but to get healthy. Whatever number that lands me on the scale at then GREAT! I've started a Couch to 5k program with my sister, and let me tell you, it is S.L.O.W. going! But at least I'm going! Congratulations to you and your perserverance on getting healthy. What an accomplishment! CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, WHISTLE, WHISTLE, WHISTLE! Keep it up! You can do it!!!!!!

Heather
  • Shes1CraftyMama
    Shes1CraftyMama Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    WOW! I am totally overwhelmed by all of your responses and the multiple "friend requests." First of all, thank you for reading my vent! And second of all, thank you for your encouragement! I know that this is MY journey but every bit of encouragement is welcome =) Again, THANKS