What has (insert exercise/sport) done for you??

Options
Really keen to hear from anyone who has a favourite sport or exercise (more specific than "weights" or "cardio") and how it has had a major effect on their weight/fitness/health. Have read of a few people who say that running for example has transformed their body, so am interested to hear what others have found to have been the one thing that has benefitted them the most.

Replies

• HeidibooJB
    HeidibooJB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Zumba. It has changed my life. I finally found exercise that I love to do, and it helped me lose 55lbs. Now I teach, and get to help others feel good, get fit, and have fun doing it.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Compound Barbell Training was decreased my body fat, increased my lean mass, created an awareness of my body and given me more confidence in every aspect of my life. I walk around the grocery store like a bad @$$ these days.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I got addicted to spinning. I went to a spin class and fell in love with it. It has helped me lose weight and feel great about myself. Sure, it mostly helps mold my legs and butt but I've lost weight all over from doing spin and I do other workouts too. It has also helped my confidence.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My favorite physical activity by far is hiking. Hiking is such a great activity because it is an uncontrolled environment. Your body is constantly challenged with new and changing terrain and there is little risk for injuries caused repetitive movements. You get your cardio in, of course, but also strength if you throw on a decently weighted pack or do some scrambling. And it is great stress relief to be out in nature!

Hiking helped me lose two inches off my hips, build more muscular legs (especially calves) and increase my endurance. Yay for playing outside!! :bigsmile:
  • tanetti
    tanetti Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Running has made me more outgoing and confident since it's such a social sport (very helpful after moving from KS to TX 18 months ago), and amazed at what my body is capable of. Body Pump has transformed my body and made me stronger than I ever thought possible.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Spin and Yoga both changed my life, really. Spin gives me the cardio burn in an upbeat, crazy, awesome, nightclub type environment and Vinyasa has given me strength of mind and body. I have to thank my studio - so much better than a gym. It comes with the best instructors, best lights/music in spin, and the best yoga room and instructors in Phoenix.

Both things have given me peaceful sleep which is worth its weight in gold. I never slept well once I started working the night shift and even after I quit nights, I had a hard time staying asleep. It has never been an issue since I started working out every day at MIC. I am so thankful!
  • dguz21
    dguz21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Swimming. It's the only activity I can do without sweat, pain, and embarrassment. I dread going because I don't like any exercise, but when I get out of the pool after an hour of swimming, my chest is pumped up, my head is held high, and I have this big smile on my face. I love being in the water.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Swimming. It's the only activity I can do without sweat, pain, and embarrassment. I dread going because I don't like any exercise, but when I get out of the pool after an hour of swimming, my chest is pumped up, my head is held high, and I have this big smile on my face. I love being in the water.

I was a competitive swimmer my entire life and still swim for fun/exercise. I don't generally rely on it for exercise because I am pretty "used" to it, but I love love love the quietness of being underwater (hence my name) and the tranquility I find in the water. I love to hear when others feel the same way!
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Belly Dancing!!!! If you're in a good class, you'll burn. According to my Heart Rate Monitor watch I burned 900 calories in 2 hours today at a body isolation workshop. Belly dance will tone, and work out those muscles in your torso, legs, and arms you didn't even know you had. I learned today that I can actually move my ribcage in 4 different directions lol.

Also, soccer, muscles in the legs. In 30 minutes in a fast pace indoor game I burned 700 calories. My legs tone up pretty quickly in soccer, and it does that sprint, job, walk thing, where your heartrate stays up and burns more.
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Crossfit- I can lift more than I ever imagined and am completely addicted to going. Every workout is a challenge in a different way and I never get bored.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Swimming it gave me a starting place. I am really, really overweight and have problems with my knees and ankle. Swimming allows me to get the exercise I need to burn the fat and improve my overall health. I began the beginning of the year and I am so much stronger and my endurance is higher. I feel so good. I am a member of the "Y" and I am signing up for some Yoga and aquacize classes that start next month. I can't wait!
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Rowing . . . addicted to it, my day is not the same unless I have worked out on my rowing machine.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Krav Maga

I started purely to get into an activity I could enjoy and continue with (I find the gym mind-numbingly boring).

When I started last may I was 104kg (229lb) at 5'10 with a 39" waist. I could't complete 2 push-ups.

As I got into it, I got more and more hooked (meaning I now go training with a huge bag full of kit!) and graded late last year.

I'm now around 74kg (163lb) and can knock out push-ups, even a few inverted ones ;-)

I feel more confident and it has been commented that I carry myself differently since I started training.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My favorite physical activity by far is hiking. Hiking is such a great activity because it is an uncontrolled environment. Your body is constantly challenged with new and changing terrain and there is little risk for injuries caused repetitive movements. You get your cardio in, of course, but also strength if you throw on a decently weighted pack or do some scrambling. And it is great stress relief to be out in nature!

Hiking helped me lose two inches off my hips, build more muscular legs (especially calves) and increase my endurance. Yay for playing outside!! :bigsmile:

I second this. It was taking hiking up six years ago after a 10-year break in my 20s that has had the biggest impact, mentally and physically.

There's barely a bit of my body that doesn't get a good workout if I include mountains with scrambles and big rocks to haul myself over. My legs have changed shape and gained definition, you have to use your core to keep your balance while leaping over rocks, my backside is curved and where it was 10 years ago and my cardio has really improved (despite asthma, at my last check-up my lung-age is that of someone eight years younger than myself).

Mentally I find it like meditation. You can't think about anything else when climbing thousands of feet - your lungs feel like they're bursting, your heart is thudding hard and you have to focus on where to put your feet to prevent falling down steep inclines.

It was also hiking that pushed me towards stopping smoking (from 40-a-day to nothing cold turkey four years ago) as my breathing was dreadful. And now I've started running and lifting weights, mainly with the aim of getting up mountains more easily.

It's had a profound effect on my life and I love that you simply can't quit when hiking - if you've spent three hours climbing up a mountain you have no choice but to spend another three hours climbing down. It also means I can drink pints of beer on a Saturday night thanks to the fantastic calorie burn that comes with it :smile:

And during what other exercise can you stop midway and have a picnic while sitting somewhere spectacularly beautiful where all the lazy people in cars in the valley below don't even know exists?
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Recreational League Dodgeball. It's way more competitive than you'd think and I love it!
  • dguz21
    dguz21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I was a competitive swimmer my entire life and still swim for fun/exercise. I don't generally rely on it for exercise because I am pretty "used" to it, but I love love love the quietness of being underwater (hence my name) and the tranquility I find in the water. I love to hear when others feel the same way!

I have loved the water since I was a kid. Last year I took swimming lessons, and I am about to take lessons again. I just cannot learn how to freestyle. I feel like I am flailing and get out of breath. I am up to an hour doing breast stroke. But any way, I'm glad to hear from someone who loves the water..........I love the smell of chlorine too, it makes me feel like an athlete.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I play racquetball and I love it. Since losing weight, I have been in a couple tournaments here in Houston. Weightloss has definitely helped me move better and increased my endurance on the court!
  • westva2nc
    Options
    Kickboxing! I am totally addicted. Started in November and have seen such a transformation in my core! I have been at this for a couple of years now. I have done Body Pump, Body Combat and Body Attack classes (Les Mills) and love them, but there is something about punching and kicking a 130# bag that is just so liberating. It's a huge stress reliever, but it is also the best workout EVER for me. It takes a little startup money for a gym membership, or a bag (i have both) but I really regret that I didn't try it sooner. So passionate about it!
  • anngarzon
    Options
    In general I love strength training, but if i had to pick one aspect of strength training it you be bench presses. I love how I increased my strength over time and I look forward to each session to see if I a capable of doing more. Very invigorating.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Eighteen years ago I was averaging about 25km in the water a week and at least two days a week swimming 5km without a break. Today I returned to the pool in a long time. Like you, I love the meditative aspect of flying in water - and that came back to me this morning. I plan to incorporate more swimming into my fitness regime but attending the local aquatic centre is not cheap!