Hypothyroid... Are you SURE I'm not a snowflake?

Options
I just ran my numbers following the instruction in this thread...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

According to the results I am supposed to up my target calorie goal by 500 to 700 cals. I changed the settings on MFP but it's not sitting well with me. Having a slow thyroid and not being on any medications for it, I am wondering if I can trust these numbers. I will gain weight in the blink of an eye but have never lost a single pound through normal dieting... The only thing that has ever worked for me it severe calorie restrictions. Maybe I just haven't found that magic window between too much and too little calories.

Does a slow thyroid effect TDEE calculations? Should I be doing anything different than a person without this condition?

Replies

• kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Going to get a true BMR test done because I have no clue where I should be.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am interested in responses to this question also. I don't just have a slow thyroid, I have NO thyroid. I had a thyroidectomy 6 weeks ago (for non-cancer related reasons) and, although I am on replacement hormones my doctor is still toying with the dosage to get me to the right level and I definitely feel very sluggish and slow. I am pretty sure I can't rely on any online calculator to give me a true estimate of my BMR.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. To lose a pound a month I was eating 800 calories (not net, total intake with 1 1/2 oflifting a day) and maintenance is around 900. I'm try to bulk now so I just upped my calories to 900 yesterday and next week I'll up it to 1,000.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes slow thyroid is one of few things that can affect your TDEE
    you have a medical condition = you may be a snowflake :)

why are you not taking medication?

I would recommend looking for the answer in the groups not in the main forum
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    and more importantly: talking to a doctor
  • wilson1134
    wilson1134 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in this too. I've followed Dan for awhile and while I agree that his formula makes 100% sense for a functioning metabolism, it doesn't take into account hypothyroidism.

I had mine removed a year ago and initially lost 20 lbs but stalled for months and now I'm on a slow gain. This is at varying caloric intakes and exercise routines.

I would pay big bucks for my adjusted calorie needs --TDEE and for weight loss!!!!!

Is there anyone out there that has a percentage factor or has had success? I am switching to lower carb/high protein (not no carb by any means) for 6 weeks. Trial # 8
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If you are hypothyroid you need to be on meds. It is the ONLY way to find success. I didn't believe it until it happened to me. I have a hemithyroidectomy, they removed half my thyroid and a benign tumor the size of a golf ball. I had been losing fine before the surgery but in the two years since, i have been up and down depending on my TSH levels. I finally had a long talk with my doctor, showed him graphs of my weight and my TSH for two years and he doubled my dose of Synthroid to get my hormones and my weight gain under control. If you have a thyroid problem, your TSH should be between .5 and 2.0 according to the NIH. Not below 4.0 which is normal for people without thyroid problems. My doctor has me on 1800 calories a day and prefers that I limit my workouts to 3 times a week at Curves and 5 to 6 days of hula hooping.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^this

The online calculators are based on averages of a certain population. If you do not fall into similar criteria as those populations, your TDEE could well be quite different (they are estimates anyway and so no-one's TDEE will be the same as them anyway - just in the ball park).

It's not so much that you are a special snowflake, it's just that the energy out part of the equation is lower than someone without the same condition, all other things being equal. It does not change the logic or the math - just the numbers being used in the math.
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ive had an underactive thyroid for twenty years and my tsh has to be at 0.12 to 0.78 to make me feel half human. you need to find the normal for you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I am very interested in this too. I've followed Dan for awhile and while I agree that his formula makes 100% sense for a functioning metabolism, it doesn't take into account hypothyroidism.

I had mine removed a year ago and initially lost 20 lbs but stalled for months and now I'm on a slow gain. This is at varying caloric intakes and exercise routines.

I would pay big bucks for my adjusted calorie needs --TDEE and for weight loss!!!!!

Is there anyone out there that has a percentage factor or has had success? I am switching to lower carb/high protein (not no carb by any means) for 6 weeks. Trial # 8

A lot of people find better success with a lower carb intake if they have thyroid issues. Keeping fats up also seems to help. It basically often a better way to 'manage' the impact on your metabolism that thyroid issues have.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If hypothyroidism (or slow thyroid) is affecting you, you should be on medicine.
    If not, it should not affect your TDEE.
    Talk to your endocrinologist.
  • Martucha123
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. To lose a pound a month I was eating 800 calories (not net, total intake with 1 1/2 oflifting a day) and maintenance is around 900. I'm try to bulk now so I just upped my calories to 900 yesterday and next week I'll up it to 1,000.

you should be on meds then
    eating less when you have thyroid problems is NOT the solution.
    slow metabolism means lower body temperature, feeling cold, feeling tired, getting sick more often ect ect
    please do not tell people to diet on 800 kcal no matter what is their medical condition. low calories diet like this should be done only under doctors supervision
  • Martucha123
    Options
    If hypothyroidism (or slow thyroid) is affecting you, you should be on medicine.
    If not, it should not affect your TDEE.
    Talk to your endocrinologist.

this exactly
    if your metabolism is low, fix it. when it's fixed, you can start dieting on your own. Until then, do what your doctor tells you to do.
  • misslibbyh
    misslibbyh Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I was on the medication for two years and did not see or feel any results. The dr. said my levels were normal though. I quit taking them because they were not helping. I also believe that taking drugs may reduce the chance of the body correcting itself. Since my symptoms (aside from the weight gain) are not extreme, I would rather approach the issue naturally though proper nutrition and exercise. I'm just having a hard time figuring out what that means for me. I have heard lower carb diets work better for hypo people and that's what I'm doing now. I'm just questioning the target calorie rang I should be shooting for. I am fairly certain that I will gain weight if I eat 1800 calories per day. Maybe i could bump it up a couple hundred at a time until I find my zone. problem is... if it takes two months to see results from changes... searching for it in increments could take years. =/
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I was on the medication for two years and did not see or feel any results. The dr. said my levels were normal though. I quit taking them because they were not helping. I also believe that taking drugs may reduce the chance of the body correcting itself. Since my symptoms (aside from the weight gain) are not extreme, I would rather approach the issue naturally though proper nutrition and exercise. I'm just having a hard time figuring out what that means for me. I have heard lower carb diets work better for hypo people and that's what I'm doing now. I'm just questioning the target calorie rang I should be shooting for. I am fairly certain that I will gain weight if I eat 1800 calories per day. Maybe i could bump it up a couple hundred at a time until I find my zone. problem is... if it takes two months to see results from changes... searching for it in increments could take years. =/

What does that matter as long as you are exercising and getting healthier? So what if it takes years? Wouldn't it be better to do this slow and safely and be able to know what you need to do to lose and then maintain versus just trying to rush and end up possibly harming yourself in the long run? Or not be able to maintain and gain it all back after a year?
  • misslibbyh
    misslibbyh Posts: 90 Member
    Options

What does that matter as long as you are exercising and getting healthier? So what if it takes years? Wouldn't it be better to do this slow and safely and be able to know what you need to do to lose and then maintain versus just trying to rush and end up possibly harming yourself in the long run? Or not be able to maintain and gain it all back after a year?

Oh, ABSOLUTELY! I am going to do whatever i need to do to achieve optimal health. If it takes years that's fine... but if anyone knows of a way to figure out the right numbers for hypothyroid peeps, that would be really helpful. =)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Oh, ABSOLUTELY! I am going to do whatever i need to do to achieve optimal health. If it takes years that's fine... but if anyone knows of a way to figure out the right numbers for hypothyroid peeps, that would be really helpful. =)

I think there are groups on here for people with hypothyroid issues..but honestly, your # will probably have to come from a doctor or/and a registered dietician. They will probably be the most helpful. And if you feel the doctor you were seeing was not giving you the proper treatment, then seek a second opinion.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

you should be on meds then
    eating less when you have thyroid problems is NOT the solution.
    slow metabolism means lower body temperature, feeling cold, feeling tired, getting sick more often ect ect
    please do not tell people to diet on 800 kcal no matter what is their medical condition. low calories diet like this should be done only under doctors supervision
    This is done under my doctor's supervision. Hypothyroidism is just one of the many medical issues I have and going on synthroid could complicate some of my more serious health issues. I don't advise anyone else to eat the same amount I do, I was simply sharing my experience.
  • loranch
    loranch Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Are you truly hypothyroid or just think you are? No doctor would leave you untreated. I'm hypothyroid and albeit I loose weight slowly but I also refuse to eat1200 calories. I choose to take medication and exercise.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Getting your own TDEE can take a little trial and error as it is not static. I think a good idea would be to do what you are thinking. Slowly up your calories until you get to an equilibrium - you will know what it is then From there, you can make the appropriate cut to lose weight. You do need to wait a month or two for everything to stabilize and so bumping it up by about 200 each time makes sense to me. Make sure you keep your fats up also.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options

I'm sorry to say this but discontinuing your medications was a wrong move. I'm a medical student (not a doctor yet) and I really think that your hypothyroidism cannot be cured by diet and exercise alone. Its not the same as with Type II diabetes or hypertension that you skip the meds and replace with healthy lifestyle. Do you know what caused your hypothyroidism? Is it an autoimmune disease? If you are not feeling any improvement with medications, the solution is not stop taking them altogether. The solution is to explore other types of medications that can possibly make it better. I wonder if you consulted with your doctor before deciding to just stop taking drugs altogether. Low carb diets would not work for hypothyroid people. That doesn't even make sense. You are already low on energy and low carb diets has the potential to slow metabolism even more. You are just doing yourself more harm than good.

As for your daily caloric intake to lose weight. Yes you would need less calories to lose weight than MFP is saying because those numbers are for synthyroid people. Again, I would really like to know how you become hypothyroid (the cause). I think I will give a more specific advice with that info