Calories?

I've been eating around 1200-1600 calories a day, maybe a little less no less than 600 ( low, but that's when I'm just laying
in bed all day ), working out at least two or three
times a week. Anyways, my weight keeps going
up and down for about the last two weeks and that's even when I'm not bloating. Can someone help me get this under control?
If it matters, 123-119 is the range of the bouncing weight.

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,722 Member
    How tall are you? You want to get down to 105 pounds?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    There's absolutely no excuse for eating 600 calories in a day, and I would seriously consider following the program that was provided to you by the app. If MFP says you need to eat 1600 calories to lose, that number is already at a deficit. You're likely eating far too little.
  • MFP says 1200 calories a day,
  • 5'4 and gw: 107.
  • trogalicious
    MFP says 1200 calories a day,

then why are you eating under that? You're not going to lose faster by eating under your bmr or starving yourself. If you only weight 120 lbs, I imagine you have it set to lose 2lbs per week in hopes of hitting that goal faster...

don't.

bump it up to .5 lbs loss per week and live on something that you can sustain.
  • Your weight is jumping because of the exercise. When I was exercising 45 minutes a day 4 or 5 times a week, I yo-yoed between 136 lbs and 139 for weeks. When I stopped exercising and was just dieting/underwent added on stress due to new job, I dropped down to 134. Remember that building muscle happens no matter what you do. Running? Your thighs will get lean and muscular. Abdominals, elliptical, weights? It doesn't matter. You'll lose and gain weight as you lose fat and build muscle.
  • :ohwell:
    MFP says 1200 calories a day,

then why are you eating under that? You're not going to lose faster by eating under your bmr or starving yourself. If you only weight 120 lbs, I imagine you have it set to lose 2lbs per week in hopes of hitting that goal faster...

don't.

bump it up to .5 lbs loss per week and live on something that you can sustain.
    I have it set to 1 lb loss per week and
    MFP says around .9 per week so should I still lower it? I am so new at this weight loss stuff :ohwell:
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    I agree with Trogalicious. You are eating too few calories and sending your body into starvation mode. It will start to find other means for energy than your fat stores, usually muscles and fatty organs like your liver and brain.

That said, I have had some experience with weight fluctuations, and its usually because of water weight. Most notably when I eat fibery foods late at night (greens, almonds, etc.), I eat dinner too late, or eat something with a lot of carbs (I am doing keto and occasionally I cheat).

Some tips I have learned that help me.

1. Always weigh yourself at the same time of the day. Right after you first wake up and had your morning constitutional is the best time for me.
    2. Wear the same clothes when weighing yourself. Especially since its winter, some clothes can add 1-3 pounds. I usually weigh myself only in my undies.
    3. If you can afford it, get a scale with a body fat calculator. They are far from accurate, and just a glass of water can throw them off a point or two, but IMO fat % is a better indicator of fitness than weight or BMI.

I saw earlier that you are 5'4 and 120 lbs. I suspect you are well within the normal range for body fat, and may even be in the lower percentile.
  • I agree with Trogalicious. You are eating too few calories and sending your body into starvation mode. It will start to find other means for energy than your fat stores, usually muscles and fatty organs like your liver and brain.

That said, I have had some experience with weight fluctuations, and its usually because of water weight. Most notably when I eat fibery foods late at night (greens, almonds, etc.), I eat dinner too late, or eat something with a lot of carbs (I am doing keto and occasionally I cheat).

Some tips I have learned that help me.

1. Always weigh yourself at the same time of the day. Right after you first wake up and had your morning constitutional is the best time for me.
    2. Wear the same clothes when weighing yourself. Especially since its winter, some clothes can add 1-3 pounds. I usually weigh myself only in my undies.
    3. If you can afford it, get a scale with a body fat calculator. They are far from accurate, and just a glass of water can throw them off a point or two, but IMO fat % is a better indicator of fitness than weight or BMI.

I saw earlier that you are 5'4 and 120 lbs. I suspect you are well within the normal range for body fat, and may even be in the lower percentile.
    Alright, I'll follow them tips :) and yes, I'm in a healthy weight range, but I have love handles that jiggle and my stomach jiggles/ is flabby and gross.....
  • trogalicious
    Alright, I'll follow them tips :) and yes, I'm in a healthy weight range, but I have love handles that jiggle and my stomach jiggles/ is flabby and gross.....

So if you're already at your goal weight and want to lose that stomach jiggle... look into lifting heavy.
  • Alright, I'll follow them tips :) and yes, I'm in a healthy weight range, but I have love handles that jiggle and my stomach jiggles/ is flabby and gross.....

So if you're already at your goal weight and want to lose that stomach jiggle... look into lifting heavy.
    Alright thanks :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    5'4 and gw: 107.
    How old are you?
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member

^^this^^
  • 5'4 and gw: 107.
    How old are you?