Coconut Oil Anyone?

Options
124»

Replies

• LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    How the heck do people get angry over coconut oil? Good LORD.

Refined coconut oil is the way to go for high temp cooking-- yes. Lower temp stuff you can do with unrefined, but the refining process keeps the oil stable at a higher temperature.

Refined or not, I'll still opt for that over unstable omega 6 powerhouses like safflower or soybean. The MCTs are still present in refined coconut oil, and the saturated nature of the fat is still more stable than seed-based oils.
  • karentcampbell
    karentcampbell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have graves disease and I tried coconut oil, it make me very ill and I had to go to the hospital with a thyroid storm. If you have a overactive thyroid, be careful with the use of coconut oil. I have a few friends who use coconut oil and they love it, I do think it is a great alternative to other fats out there. Not for me however :(
  • makemyselfpr0ud
    Options
    I would like to start using, is refined, unrefined, extra virgin or organic Coconut oil the best?

Please give some brands. Thanks!
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    All oil is garbage to your arteries. Cutting out oil will allow you to add 2 black bean burritos extra every day without changing your net calories. Do you realize how much nutrition is in 2 black bean burritos? And how much more satisfying?
  • twilasue54
    twilasue54 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook; my partner uses it on her excema..which improves when she remembers to use it. My daughter is Paleo and uses it a lot in cooking and for her skin and as a lip balm. I've read the 101 uses but haven't started using it for everything it is supposed to help.
  • twilasue54
    twilasue54 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook; my partner uses it on her excema..which improves when she remembers to use it. My daughter is Paleo and uses it a lot in cooking and for her skin and as a lip balm. I've read the 101 uses but haven't started using it for everything it is supposed to help.

does she use the regular coconut oil for her excema, or soemthing from pharmacy area?