Heart rate monitors

Options
I am looking to purchase a heart rate monitor. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to which are good ones and which to stay away from. I want one that keeps an accurate calorie burned count. I am finding that the equipment I use and what MFP says are 2 completely different numbers. Also, chest strap or no chest strap? I can see that the chest strap might give a more accurate reading. I am pretty large chested (D cup) and wondered if this would be an issues with the chest strap. And is the chest strap confortable to wear and stays in place, I dont want to have to keep readjusting it.

Any and all help would be great....thanks in advance :D

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Anything by Polar - and definitely w/a chest strap (it goes under the girls so it doesn't matter if they're big - and the strap is adjustable. I have the Polar Ft4 - can't even feel the strap - it goes right under the bra strap so if you're used to wearing a bra you shouldn't have an issue w/the strap.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 as well and love it!
  • MyPsalm63
    Options
    I have the PolarFT4 and LOVEEEEEEE it!!!!!
  • HeatherOberholtzer
    Options
    Just got my Polar FT4 today and tried it out, the calories burned were way less then MFP has!!
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Im hoping to get the polar f4 soon. I have a timex triathlon one that is awesome but way too complex for me.
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i have the polar ft40. I (was) a 38DD when i got it. the strap goes under the girls so no worries and the strap is adjustable. It makes me so happy when i get to adjust the strap smaller! The calories burned are waaaay off (less) than what MFP says and are normally more than the machines at the gym say.
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I got the polar FT7 today off of amazon
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Polar is my choice and the chest strap is soft and elastic so no worries about size or staying put. My strap will go around my husband's very large chest if I let it all the way out.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have had the Polar FT7 for over a year now. It seems that the calories are coming in really high. I have even set my weight to my goal weight, which is 15lbs lighter than I am now and I still burn over 1000 calories in an hour running at a 10.2 mile pace. So I am not sure how accurate they are.
  • smorgan318
    smorgan318 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40. I love it. The chest strap is comfortable and if you are used to wearing a bra, you won't even notice it. If you can stand wearing a sports bra, the strap won't even be noticed. I like this HRM because it has the fitness test which will keep track of your VO2 max - and let you know your cardiac fitness progress. The watch is also comfortable and cute (I have the white one). I was worried it would look too big on my petite wrist, but it doesn't at all. Its also pretty easy to use, it doesn't have too many features, so its not confusing to use. Overall, I really like it. If you don't want to spend that much, the FT4 or FT7 are also good models.

PS- Definitely go with a chest strap model! :)
  • PlainOldElizaJane
    Options
    I doubt you need yet another one of these saying the same thing, but I have a Polar FT4 and I LOVE it! The strap is comfortable, I never notice it's there anymore. I've had it a year now with no problems whatsoever :) Great product!
  • mazzie999
    mazzie999 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hi

I actully went out and brought the FT7 on saturday and LOVE IT.... I have done to gym sessions already on it and cannot wait to do spin tonight with it.
    I wanted one so i knew my calroies i was burning.
    Was a great buy
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    my polar ft4 is in the post cant wait to get it !! its my Valentines day present haha :D