Meeting the boyfriend's family for the first time.. gifts?

Options
jeninabilan
jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
Hey guys!

Okay, so I am flying to Seattle to surprise my boyfriend for his bday and will be meeting his family for the first time and staying with them. They have been super sweet and helpful in planning his surprise party. We will be staying with his sister who has 6 children. I was thinking to get something for his mom & dad and his sister for being the hostess and maybe some candy for the kids? What are your thoughts? I don't want to go too over the top, but I also want to make a great impression and my mama taught me never to go anywhere empty handed..

Thanks so much! xoxo
Jenina

Replies

• silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Bring a bottle of wine and a little bit of candy for the kids.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

That was my thought. Bringing wine is usually for when you go over for dinner though, so it may be more appropriate to do something else for "staying with them".

Wine is always a good start though.
  • 85klaudia85
    Options

exactly what i would bring
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bottle of wine is fine!
  • whierd
    Options
    Also, I am impressed with your manners and consideration of his family.
  • jeninabilan
    Options
    Thanks guys! I was thinking wne and candy too! yay :) I definitely don't want to seem like I'm "trying too hard". I saw some websites that suggested gift baskets with spa certificates, and although I would personally love to receive that as a gift, I think it's a bit much for this kind of occasion. Thanks guys!
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Home made flapjacks.

Got me my guy ^^
  • jeninabilan
    Options
    Also, I am impressed with your manners and consideration of his family.

Aw thank you! I always try to be considerate of everyone and these are my future in laws, so I would love to do something for them since they raised the man of my dreams ;) hehe
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    a bottle of wine( or whatever they might like to drink/eat sounds lovely( candles, gift certificate a local restaurant they like, etc something that shows you know what their interests are). also, if you need any recommendations; I live in Seattle
    and I agree.. kudos on being so considerate! I was raised the same way. Maybe something other than candy for the kids if they are health conscious or prone to sugar hyperness
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would go down to Kix Brooks's vineyard and get the wine from there. A personal touch from Nashville.
  • whierd
    Options
    Yeah, I think taking them out to dinner or giving them a gift card to get dinner would also be a great move. :)
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you're staying several days, maybe run to the store at some point and grab everything you need to make fancy omelets and make a nice healthy breakfast for everyone. The lady and I almost always do that when we're at one or the others parent's place for a few days visiting.
  • jakeVScalories
    jakeVScalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Offer to take the kids to the park with your BF or something to give the parents a breather, they'll be thankful
  • herlittlegreendress
    Options
    Wine is always a nice gift. Like others have said, its most appropriate when coming for dinner.

Since I was going to be staying at my boyfriend's parents' house, I brought his mom a bouquet of fresh tulips when I first met her. She loved it. :)

Bringing locally made items is also a fun idea. Anything your state or town may be known for. I'm from Wisconsin so bringing locally made cheeses, beer, wine, etc. has been a hit when meeting his various friends and family. (He's from Ohio)

Good luck and have fun!
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bottle of wine is good if they drink wine. I would never get that for my boyfriend's parents because they don't drink. I wouldn't bring flowers because what man wants flowers? Ask your boyfriend if they are wine drinkers. If they are, I would bring that. I probably wouldn't bring anything for the kids honestly.
  • jeninabilan
    Options
    Wow thanks so much for the awesome responses guys! I definitely love the idea of making breakfast.. will probably make some healthy omlets and will take the kids to the park :) that sounds awesome! hehe