Advice for a college student?

Options
Between classes, social events, and homework it sometimes seems like I don't have time to eat right and exercise. It doesn't help when I am constantly invited to get coffee, frozen yogurt, or dessert. Does anyone have any eating or exercising tips for when you don't have much spare time?

Replies

• diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    I am in the same position as you. I am in college with a 30 hour week plus about 20 plus hours of study. It's exhausting. When I go for coffee with someone, I will either have a non fat cappuccino (60 ish cals) a green tea or a regular tea with a drop of milk. You don't have to overindulge at a café.
    Many places sell low fat or non fat froyo and you can add healthy things to it such as fruit and seeds and nuts.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am taking classes and working full time along with a family so I get how being busy can be a prob -I have found that packing healthy snacks with me helps a lot esp since I tend to go through the day without eating - I would eat before leaving around 8am and then not till after 5p when I got home. I carry a bottle of water with me so that I am not tempted to buy soda and having a snack in my bag keeps me from the vending machines. Take a longer route to class if you can to get more walking in - use the stairs in the buildings instead of a elevator. Does your campus have a gym? I know some of the students that are in my classes if they have a hour or more break between classes will go and workout in the gym on campus and then head of to class afterwards.
  • sarahaldinger
    sarahaldinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When you're at a coffee shop -- opt for an Americano. Practically no calories and all of the lovely coffee goodness. You can even go for a pump of flavored syrup and it only adds about 25 calories. Sugar free syrup is available as well.
    Hot tea is always a great option as well.

I, too, work full time and go to nursing school full time so getting healthy snacks in is a must.
    Fruit is always awesome as well as raw veggies.
    Take the time to make some homemade Lara bars, granola or trail mix.
    Most importantly, I found that eating before hitting up a study session and then having one healthy snack with me works well to curb the temptation of that tasty looking coffee cake. :)

Good luck!
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I keep my kitchen stocked with stuff I can take on the go- fresh fruit, nuts, etc. I've started to keep a planner, so I schedule in my exercise. Time management is key, and taking advantage of any small windows of time to fit homework in leaves me with enough time to workout. It's all about priorities, though. If you want it, you can make it work.
  • sarahaldinger
    sarahaldinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you want it, you can make it work.

This.
    Exactly.