Metabolism, how you?

Options
How do you help jumb start your metabolism. I am doing well, but have a very slow metabolism. Any suggestions?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Exercise and weight lifting.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    The only time your metabolism was ever jump started (significantly changed instantly) is when you were conceived.

Changing your metabolic rate takes a lot of time and effort, usually by changing your body composition so that you have more muscle. Weight training will help you build muscle; cardio training will help your body build endurance (which helps with weight training).

Each pound of fat mass on your body burns about 2 calories per day. Muscle mass burns about 13 calories per day. Gaining 5 pounds of muscle will let you burn an extra 455 calories per week. An extra 5 pounds of muscle is barely visible on an adult, so it's not like you'd be getting bulky.
  • starrisonmclennon
    starrisonmclennon Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i heard drinking a few cups of green tea each day will jump start it, sounds like rubbish but i've been drinking jasmine green tea nearly every day (only one cup) and i had 2 binge days last week and still managed to lose weight, other than that exercise, and a binge day every now and then
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    How do you help jumb start your metabolism. I am doing well, but have a very slow metabolism. Any suggestions?

The above suggestions are good. I just got Jillian Michaels Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism dvd which is mostly cardio. I bought it off of amazon.com but I'm sure you can find it on youtube for free.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Exercise and weight lifting.

^^^^ this

Other methods are gimmicks.

If your metabolism is truly slow, make sure that there isn't a medical reason (thyroid, etc.).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    stop chronically undereating and increase your lean body mass.

that's assuming you dont have any underlying medical issues
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    Optimal hydration level, good quality sleep, adecuate protein intake, exercise and weight lifting.