Gagging down my protein shake...

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Double Chocolate and it's very tasty with water or with milk. Other's have said Opitmum Nutrition's vanilla ice cream and rocky road powders are very tasty too.
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    We like Arbonne Vanilla. They have chocolate too but I haven't tried it
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

Oh wait.. let me help::: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Homemade-Protein-Shake-Without-Protein-Powder

:tongue:

You welcome :bigsmile: :glasses:

I like that.

awesome sauce, maybe ill start doing that when my powders run out
  • katiegambill
    katiegambill Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Beverly International Vanilla and love it.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Try adding Hershey's chocolate syrup (2 Tbsps=100 cals) or chocolate milk to help with flavor. Honey is good too! Add a banana and/or some peanut butter to help with texture. I have to use a blender or it just isn't good. All of the powders are yukky by themselves. Don't let anyone tell you different
  • kimi45
    Options
    I actually put fresh fruit in a blender with ice water then add the vanilla whey protein. It's delicious! Try a banana and strawberries.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why you take it? Protein shakes are not a necessity.

If you ABSOLUTELY want a protein shake for some reason, search for shake recipes with normal, natural ingredients...

Oh wait.. let me help::: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Homemade-Protein-Shake-Without-Protein-Powder

Not as good a protein g for your calorie buck compared to protein powder though - by quite a long way from the looks of it.
  • Gimpdogg
    Gimpdogg Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    blend with milk not water and maybe add a banana for extra nutrition.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Why you take it? Protein shakes are not a necessity.

If you ABSOLUTELY want a protein shake for some reason, search for shake recipes with normal, natural ingredients...

That's a good idea but the problem is, most people who take protein shakes are taking them to supplement their protein intake. They're trying to get the biggest bang for the buck. That's the whole point right - that's why powders are called protein supplements!

The problem with making the example that you linked to is that it ends up being a huge amount of calories for relatively little protein. I just put together the ingredients really quickly and came up with 833 calories for the shake, with only 53g of protein. And that was using skim milk. That's barely 25% protein, it's mostly fat and carbs. "Protein shake" is kind of a misnomer here.

Most good powders will be 250ish calories (or less) for 50g of protein. Big difference. 250 calories is a good snack. 833 is the majority of most people's intake here.

Not saying it's a bad thing or a good thing overall, personally - it all depends on usage. Just have to make people aware of what they're getting into. Your link is more of a meal replacement or perhaps a good choice for someone trying to bulk up with lots of calories.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I put it in my greek yogurt instead of some other junk that just adds sweet and no extra nutrition. Then I eat it like a big bowl of cake frosting without the cake, because that's what it tastes like.

I put it in the blender with ice cream when I want a real shake. Same as an ice cream shake except .... protein.

Mix it into cottage cheese.

Mix it with milk and a half tablespoon peanut butter in the blender.

I've never had it just in water.
  • ogy90
    ogy90 Posts: 2
    Options
    i find chocolate flavour shakes are the easiest to drink. I used to hate drinking my protein shake so i kept trying different makes until i found one i liked.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've used various combinations of the following (I tried to delete what's already been mentioned):
    Fat free cream cheese, Torani syrups (made with Splenda, sold by coffee creamers), Sugar free jello mix, Swiss Miss Diet Hot Cocoa mix, cocoa powder, frozen fruit , unsweetened coconut, various extracts like coconut, almond, peppermint, etc. I hope this helps!
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    I had the same experience. I tried brand after brand and hated them all. Then one day I tried this: A frozen banana, 1 cup milk, 1 scoop protein powder -- mix in a blender. Result -- I was addicted! Also I learned if you don't have the frozen banana available, ice works great too. Having the icey cold sensation of the ice or frozen banana makes the experience 100 times better. I'm now addicted and drink at least one protein shake every day. No more high calorie ice cream milk shakes needed for me anymore!
  • allyxkelley
    Options
    The only way I've found so far that I can get protein powder down is to mix it with just water. Six to eight ounces of water and one scoop protein powder; mix it well and let it sit for a minute or so to make sure everything is blended; sip without sniffing it (breathe through your mouth before taking the sip). I actually like it.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    ....seriously, is there ANY way of making this an enjoyable thing?
    Just put it farther down your throat.

Or just put protein powder in your coffee and yogurt, I find that significantly easier then the shakes
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    For a while i was on a kick of adding 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and a packet of Starbucks VIA instant coffee per scoop of vanilla protein/cup of milk. You've gotta blend it or shake it really well with a blender bottle to get the cinnamon mixed in, but it's good stuff.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Throw it out! Life is too darned short to waste! Eat well....enjoy your food! --Just watch the portion sizes!
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Huh...I drink True Nutrition Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup (whey, casein and egg mix) and it's delicious!!! Maybe you need to check out other brands?
  • celticmedic
    celticmedic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition for me tastes great. Get Vanilla, use 4 ounces low fat milk ( or to consistency preference ) use some crushed ice, and a tablespoon of peanut butter, blend and enjoy!!!