Find a trail/track/etc?

Options
I see a lot of people talking about running on trails or tracks. How do you find one near you? The only tracks I can think of are at schools. Are those open to the public? How do you find walking trails near you?

I'd really like to expand from my little subdivision, but it's off a highway, so I can't really go onto the main road.

Replies

• Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    *bump*

We drove to the local high school after dinner tonight. Their track is closed to the public without special permission from the county. I'd love to find a park or trail nearby, but have no idea how to look!
  • amyliz12
    amyliz12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try looking through your local parks and recreation department.
  • kacysuzanne
    kacysuzanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Parks and rec is a great place to start. Also, I was running with a group of friends and each of us made a route close to our own home (so we would all have a short drive once a week) and it was nice to change scenery. If you don't find a trail, you might consider driving to another subdivision with low traffic, parking and walking it for a change.
  • MrsFlotron
    MrsFlotron Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    try google maps. also you'll have better luck using a local college track, theyre usually open to the public.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    I can't drive. :-(
    I want to find a park so my husband can drive me, then sit at a bench and eat chips and play video games on his phone while I jog. (Or, if I am lucky, jog with me!)

Unfortunately, the Parks and Rec website for NC is crappy. I am stuck squinting my eyes over a Google map and trying to figure out if that little line in that big green patch is a park or not. LOL

I was hoping someone knew of a runner's website that had user submitted lists of good parks and walking trails, best time of day to visit, rules regarding pets/food/brats, etc. If there isn't one already, someone should make it!
  • Zeke351
    Options
    Try http://www.mapmyrun.com/

You can search for running routes and trails based on your area. It's free and pretty cool to play with.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    Try http://www.mapmyrun.com/

You can search for running routes and trails based on your area. It's free and pretty cool to play with.

:flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou: