Side Stitches

Options
I recently began jogging in intervals (1 min jog, 1:30 walk). Sounds easy enough and I really don't feel all that challenged while running until of course, about 15-20 mins in I get a horrible side stitch on my right side.
I have tried the basics: focus on taking deep breaths, trying to time my breathing so that I am not exhaling while my right foot lands, not eating before hand, stretching, staying hydrated, and the good ol' running with my right hand over my head as I feel it coming on.
The pain is really slowing me down and making me feel like I can't push myself. So I guess my question is, are side stitches something that I just need to push through while my body adjusts to getting exersice? Or is there somethinig someone has done to help them prevent side stitches or cope with the pain during? Would love some input bc the google Gods have not been giving me anything new.

Replies

• knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I tend to get them by being dehydrated and then running, by not properly warming up (more of a muscle pain) and by not breathing through my diaphragm.

If it is the deep breathing, I can't say if this is something that will work for you, but I slow down, and then focus on an almost panting like breathing style, hee (in), hee, (in), hoo (out), hoo (out), using the second breath of each to make sure I feel the air in my stomach. By blowing out extra, it helps me take a more deep breath.

It has gotten better for me over time, especially as my fitness level improved.