Is this correct?

Okay so my TDEE is 2261 with moderate exercise 3-5 days a week, so 2261 times 7 days a week would be 15,827 so if I eat 1850 calories a day 7 days a week that totals to 12,950 calories making my caloric deficit 2,877 a week. Thus if I burn 1,000 calories a week exercising then my deficit for the week will be 3,877 which would mean I'd lose a pound. Now if all of my calculations are correct, lets say one day I exercise and burn 300 calories then do I eat the calories back so I net at 1850 or do I not?

Replies

• Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    The days I don't exercise, I try to eat about 200 calories less to compensate for the lack of exercise.
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Days I don't exercise I stick to my goal of 1280, but when I do exercise I still try to keep my net calories around 1200. So I do eat my calories back with in reason.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Your TDEE should include exercise and will average out the amount of exercise you do for the whole week. So eat at TDEE minus 10-20% at all times
  • kabertrand63
    kabertrand63 Posts: 111 Member
    Do you all change your profile on MFP to your TDEE - 15% or 20% as your target and then not log exercise?
  • austi_t
    austi_t Posts: 16 Member
    Do you all change your profile on MFP to your TDEE - 15% or 20% as your target and then not log exercise?

that's what i was thinking of doing
  • MysticRealm

I changed my calories goal to my TDEE- 20%, however I still log my exercise cause I like to see it. I just have to make sure I hit my original calorie goal, not the one that MFP has for me.
  • kabertrand63
    I'm thinking of doing that too because 1200 is just so damn low and I miss it most times anyway :) Think I'll try it and maybe not log exercise to see how that goes.
  • MysticRealm
    Ya, I eat about 1800 a day
  • kabertrand63
    i'm having problems setting this in my goals, it assumes certain percentages for nutrients and doesn't let me quite do what I want. Anyone else having that issue? Are you just entering in your TDEE - 20% as our caloric intake for the day or are you updating the exercise calories in your settings too?
  • MysticRealm
    I just input 1800 as my caloric goal. Didn't change my exercise settings as those don't change your calories at all. The only thing that changes it is actually putting in what you did on a particular day.
  • kabertrand63
    I just input 1800 as my caloric goal. Didn't change my exercise settings as those don't change your calories at all. The only thing that changes it is actually putting in what you did on a particular day.

Ok, was gonna try that. And, you don't enter in your exercise right?
  • MysticRealm
    I do cause I like to see it but I don't eat them, I just eat to 1800 cals. I use MFP pretty much just as an easy way to count calories, not really as it's intended to be used)
  • kabertrand63
    I do cause I like to see it but I don't eat them, I just eat to 1800 cals. I use MFP pretty much just as an easy way to count calories, not really as it's intended to be used)

Yeah, I do the same think. I fear if I also add exercise, I might eat them!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Okay so my TDEE is 2261 with moderate exercise 3-5 days a week, so 2261 times 7 days a week would be 15,827 so if I eat 1850 calories a day 7 days a week that totals to 12,950 calories making my caloric deficit 2,877 a week. Thus if I burn 1,000 calories a week exercising then my deficit for the week will be 3,877 which would mean I'd lose a pound. Now if all of my calculations are correct, lets say one day I exercise and burn 300 calories then do I eat the calories back so I net at 1850 or do I not?

What's your BMR? If I understand your question, then no. Your 1000 per week in exercise calories is already figured into your TDEE. Therefore you wouldn't eat more on the days you exercise. If you're including your workouts in your TDEE calculations, just eat that many calories total.

So your week would look like this, for example

Monday: eat 1850 calories. Net 1850 calories
    Tuesday: eat 1850. workout 300 calories. Net 1550 calories
    Wednesday: same as Monday
    Thursday: same as Tuesday
    Friday: same as Monday
    Saturday: same as Tuesday
    Sunday: same as Monday

Edit to add: this will put you at the 2800 calorie/week deficit. 1750 total each day would put you at about 3500 deficit for the week.
  • austi_t
    austi_t Posts: 16 Member
    My BMR is 1645 so I would need to eat 1750 calories a day and not eat back exercise calories in order to have a 3500 deficit a week? And my tdee is including 3-5 days of moderate exercise