Quit soda and gained weight!

Options
So, i wanted to take small steps towards my weight loss. I wanted to cut soda first, then work on what i eat etc. So, its been a month since I quit soda, I have been eating better (no fast food) but I have gained 15 pounds. I have been at a plateau for 2 years now, why did I gain? Any ideas?

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    just because you don't eat fast food doesn't mean you're eating the right number of calories for you. also, if you're working out, some might be muscle?
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking what you eat? Without seeing your food log, it's impossible to say what caused your gain. Have you been eating high-sodium foods? Did you start a new exercise program? Is it that time of the month? All those things can case water retention (although, to gain 15 pounds it sounds like at least part of that would have to be diet). Are you sure about your portion sizes?
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Not enough info given to offer an opinion on what is going on. Exercise? Calories? If you are drinking milkshakes in place of those sodas, that would do it. :laugh: Seriously though, in and of itself, eliminating sodas doesn't tell us anything.
  • MartyMullen
    MartyMullen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Take some pride in quitting soda. Its a poison that you don't need regardless and will still only add to your weight gain, whatever is causing that.
  • Cptrob
    Cptrob Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    it's as simple as this... if you gained 15lb or gained any weight when you are trying to lose weight... You are eating too much. Eat less and boom. Lb's down.
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So, i wanted to take small steps towards my weight loss. I wanted to cut soda first, then work on what i eat etc. So, its been a month since I quit soda, I have been eating better (no fast food) but I have gained 15 pounds. I have been at a plateau for 2 years now, why did I gain? Any ideas?

Getting rid of the soda is a great first step. Congratulations on THAT!! Best advice - You need to use MFP and accurately track your calories. That means measuring your serving sizes - either with a scale (easiest method) or measuring cups/spoons. If you aren't doing this then you have no way of knowing what's really going on (nor do we).
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Diet + Exercise + Willpower = Success. It has nothing to do with Soda.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is an appetite suppressant. Soda has caffeine in it. If you didn't switch to something like a lot of tea or black coffee I could see gaining weight by giving them up.

If you aren't counting calories yet you could plug in what you're eating for a week or so without changing anything and see what you come up with. Then go from there.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle.

You're body is going to add "weight" and lose "weight" for a variety of reasons. Using the scale to monitor your success is not the best way to go. Measuring, the way your cloths fit...pictures..that's how you measure.

Eat at a caloric deficit..exercise..and you WILL lose weight.
  • Miss_curvy
    Miss_curvy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think you aren't eating right, what are you eating daily?
  • jondyalec1
    Options
    I am juicing in the morning and eat no sweets except a 100 cal pudding every other day. I try to stay within 1200-1300 calories a day.
    Morning: Juicing
    snack: apple/ yogurt
    Lunch: 1 cup soup
    Dinner: usually what I make my family.

I am watching servings sizes.
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am juicing in the morning and eat no sweets except a 100 cal pudding every other day. I try to stay within 1200-1300 calories a day.
    Morning: Juicing
    snack: apple/ yogurt
    Lunch: 1 cup soup
    Dinner: usually what I make my family.

I am watching servings sizes.

Are you counting the calories in the juice?. Are you saying that your total calorie consumption for the entire day is between 1200 and 1300 calories and with that routine, you have gained 15 pounds? If this is 100% accurate, you should see a doctor.

If you really want advice, then you should open your food diary
  • Beautifulsoull
    Options
    Open up your diary and you'll get some advice on what your doing wrong. If your on 1200-1300 calorie day and gained that much something is wrong. Either your eating more then what your' telling us or your not adding up your calories correct.

EDITED to add....Is the soup home made or processed? And for dinner, you didn't extacly say what your having just said whatever you fix for the family. So that can mean pizza and wings for all we know. We need more information.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    diet soda, long term affects aside, helps you avoid caloric food
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I find that when I quit drinking X I usually replace it with Y. If you are replacing soda with juice you are consuming the same amount of calories most likely, or more because you think it's "healthier".
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!