OK so all this TDEE, BMR, ETC, ETC

Options
Hello
This is my first post here. I just joined a couple of days ago and have been reading quite a bit on here. I am wondering if all this talk of TDEE and other acryonyms is what MFP does already. I calculated my BMR, BF% (scary) and TDEE and did all the math and it is within a 100 calories or so of MFP.

What really scares me is that I feel like I'm eating too much to be on a "diet". Thats cool but It makes me think it will not work!!!

Also is a calorie a calorie? I mean (I am NOT going to do this) can I eat whatever I want as long as I stay within my calories? Is eating things that are traditionally not considered "diet food" OK if I stay within the calorie intake?

I know this is a bunch of questions but I will appreciate any answers. Thanks

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. You're going to get a lot more mileage from fruits/veggies/lean meats than burgers/ice cream/cookies, of course, so you will end up feeling much more satisfied eating healthily.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    yeah theres lots of confusing talk on here and some are really arrogant and unhelpful about pushing THEIR way. I was mindblown at first.

I felt the same - eating too much, can't ever work. 44 days later, 8 kg (18 lb ) down, and i'm like WOOHOO! Trust it :)
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    and while you can eat anything as long as your under calorie, if you're anything like me you're doing this to be healthier and you feel a million times better full of healthy food than full of calories but still hungry xx
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Eat somewhere between your BMR and TDEE. Eat <80% healthy stuff like lean meats and veggies and >20% junk food like ice cream and pizza.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    its not a diet but a lifestyle change

diets arent sustainable

i have been eating 2000 calories and losing, 75% of it consist of junk

it all eventually works out
  • Shallowmind
    Shallowmind Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OK. Thanks for the comments. I like the 80/20 suggestion. Though for now I'm shooting for 90/10.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    To the OP: You may want to check out this group, if you haven't already done so. Lots of helpful info and cleared up quite a bit of confusion for me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • Shallowmind
    Shallowmind Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Again thanks. The answers are coming much quicker than I anticipated. WOW
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie, but some foods will bloat you, and make you retain water. When you retain water, the scale sometimes moves up, making you think you are gaining weight.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. You're going to get a lot more mileage from fruits/veggies/lean meats than burgers/ice cream/cookies, of course, so you will end up feeling much more satisfied eating healthily.

^ This. I struggle with this myself but its so so true.