Breathing while running - newbie

Options
I have recently started running - I am doing c25k. My question for any runners out there are how do you train yourself to breathe properly. I find myself breathing heavy instead of taking controlled breaths. Is this just because I am currently overweight and carrying that weight? Or am I doing something wrong? Even when I try controlled breathing I feel like I can't quite get enough air. Any suggestions for a newbie?

Replies

• westva2nc
    Options
    If there was a "like" button, I'd so like this...I am a new runner, too...and I can't find the right breathing technique at all.
  • chastitymcdaniels
    Options
    I have been jogging, but would not call myself an avid runner. I notice that breathing to a rhythm helps. If you are jogging faster than you are able to breathe, then slow your jog down and for every two steps breathe in, and another two breathe out. As you get your breath under control, focus on your stride and breathe deep in for two out for two. As your jogging gets more comfortable with your stride you are able to control your breathing more. I jog to music, the same songs on a playlist to start slow for a warm up, picks up faster as the jog progresses. I try to jog to the beat and keep my breath steady. If the song is too fast, I can skip over it or go to the previous one until I get the breathing under control. Just remember, as in anything, you know your body best and build up to your own endurance level. But push yourself each step of the way. Good luck!
  • lap012165
    Options
    First off congrats for starting to run. Very proud of you. Here's the thing. Breathing to me is the hardest thing to get past. I've been running since 07 and to this day it's a struggle with the breathing aspect. You will find your happy medium and when you do the rest will fall into place. I am usually at least into the run 1 1/2 miles until it levels out. The best way for me was breathing in hard thru the mouth, the a long exhale out thru the mouth. Kind of like when you do a pilates class. I will be honest, running is easy, but getting your breathing down is a lot harder than it looks. Keep with it and you will prevail. I promise!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    There is no special way to breathe.

To quote the legendary New Zealand coach Arthur Lydiard, when asked how runners should breathe, “Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears, if you can.”
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The whole "in through your nose" thing is a runner's old wives tale. Breathe through whatever hole in your body works! :)

Just get air, though if you are struggling to get wind, you are going waaaay too fast! At this level, if you can't carry on a conversation, your pace is ahead of your endurance/level. 99.9999% of your runs should be done at a slow easy pace. Get time and miles on your feet. Speed comes later.
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    As a former pack-a-day smoker, breathing was the big struggle for me when I began running about a year and a half ago. I used couch to 5k. I did not listen to music at all until I completed the program. I focused on every breath. I would consciously count my breaths (inhale 1-2-3-4 and exhale 5-6-7-8). I have a tendency to have sinus issues so I breathe through my mouth typically.

I ran my first half marathon last month. I no longer "have to" focus on breathing, but on days when I find myself struggling, I still do this and it helps. I also remind myself to slow down when I feel like my breathing is out of control.

Good luck to you! Just stick with it and take it slow! You will find yourself getting stronger and more confident each day you get out there!
  • acampadonia
    Options
    I found out that after a while of jogging you naturally begin to breathe to a rhythem. I couldnt breathe at all at first when I started jogging at 320lbs... the more I ran the easier it got and the speedier as well... I ended up hooking up an Ipod and doing my thing 3-4 nights a week... Currently I do around 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week when possible.... I am knocking out my 3 miles in 22:10 - at a comortable pace for me but still pushing myself to a small extent. (even 2-3 extra strides a minute add up over 3 miles) .... I can knock down my 1.5 Mile run in 10:07 - not stellar but good enough for the military.

The old addage of breathing in your nose doesn't work for me... my body requires air... my mouth takes in more air than my nose... however - the idea behind it was to naturally slow down your breathing and take slow deep breathes instead of quick shallow breaths.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You will naturally find a breathing rhythm, as others have said if you're struggling for air then you're probably running too fast and need to slow it down - don't worry about going too slow, speed will come later. Try to relax too whilst you're running (particularly your upper body and arms), don't tense up and the breathing should fall into place naturally.
  • Arbelina
    Arbelina Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi Kitty,
    keep it up, you will see, after a couple of weeks your stamina will improve, running will be fun and you will also feel comfortable with your breathing.
    From your post it also sounds to me that you are trying to go too fast. Try reducing your pace. To get you into a rhythm try to breath in a three step rhythm - three steps for taking air in, three for out. That should work for the major part of your run, otherwise you are going too fast. A warning sign that you are going too fast could be that you are forced to breath through your mouth to get enough air - just slow it down and take it easy. It might also help in the beginning to choose a super flat running track, since all climbs ask for extra stamina that you don't have at the moment. And you could also try to run without music - it helps to keep your pace slow.
    Good luck!!!!
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing c25k and have a medical breathing problem which should be sorted in march/april...I just breath whichever way I can and find most comfortable! hahaha usually through the mouth etc
  • XDiet_SlayerX
    Options
    I use to run cross country in high school and I think the key to preventing lung-and leg-fatigue is breathing more fully. When you take deeper breaths, you use more air sacs in your lungs, which allows you to take in more oxygen to feed your muscles.
    One way to make the switch easier is to work on belly breathing when you're not running, and the skill will eventually carry over to your running.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I just try not to think about how I'm breathing when I'm running. If I think about it, I try to hard to breath better or run faster. I was 214 lbs when I started running last year and breathing was a major issue for me. Now I just put on the headphones, turn on the music and Run at a pace that feels comfortable. If I'm breathing to hard, I slow down. If it's to easy,then I speed up. The end result is this;;
    Do what works for you. Everyone that commented is correct here. Work at your own pace. Slow is good. At least your running. Good luck.
  • shooter560
    Options
    70 days ago I was a 2 pack a day smoker, after 6 weeks of quitting I joined a gym and started to use the treadmill, my breathing consists of getting as much air in and then getting rid of it so I have room for more incoming. Maybe there is a correct way to breath when running but I prefer to concentrate on making the next stride. I'm not a fast treadmill runner but I can now do 12kms in a one hour session at a steady pace, but I prefer to do 30 min sessions and mix it up, steady pace with some fast parts, or set the treadmill up to do hill work.

If I'm still breathing at the end of my session then I did the breathing part right, if not I'm not here to write about it
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this just the other day - how my breath is all nice and steady these days. I started the C25K in August last year so I think it's very much a practice makes perfect journey to find your breath. I listen to music as I run and pace myself to the beat (if I'm struggling I even count "left-right-left-right-1-2-3-4") and then I pace my breath to my step.

I'm not sure but I imagine taking up ashtanga yoga, where you use ujayi breath as a metronome to pace yourself, might have helped me in running as well.

My best tip to you is that slow and steady wins the race when it comes to building endurance, run slowly but keep running and you'll get that hey-this-is-not-so-hard moment in no time =)
  • lespez
    lespez Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been jogging for 2 years now and am a very noisey runner. I am loud when breathing but don't care.

Best advise I can give is relax your jaw and breathe thu your mouth and where ever else the air will go in.

I do class myself as a runner now as I read the following in my Womens Running Magazine.

'You can tell your a runner when you see someone out running and wish you we out running too.'

So true I think.
  • JohnnyCashMoney
    Options
    It's real simple. If you can't control your breath while running, you are probably going too fast, even if you are just trotting. Are you using a HRM to help you judge your intensity?
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying.. just breathe. However, I have noticed that I tend to take really shallow breaths when I'm running so occasionally I try to remind myself to take a few giant ones. Get that air in there! You'll get used to it and congrats on starting C25K! You're gonna love it!
  • weffie11
    Options
    I find that concentrating on breathing out slower helps me - the breathing in takes care of itself! What did help me a lot was going to the pool and swimming freestyle with my head under the water - you have to pace yourself properly to turn your head to breath. I started breathing on every second stroke, when that felt relatively comfortable - every third stroke, then fourth - you get the picture.

It's also what others say - go slower!! It doesn't matter if others are going faster than you - you're still going!! And it will get easier! Go slower than you think is slow - run at walking pace! You won't stick at it if it's too hard and there will come a time when you think 'that was GREAT!' And then you'll really be hooked!!!!!
  • missferoux
    missferoux Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I started running in August but properly in September. I had never run before, but I have found the more I think about breathing, the harder it is. As soon as I listened to music, and tuned into that and my route, rather than my breathing, it came naturally. I do breathe heavier towards the more tired I am, but I think thats natural?

Well done for starting. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have found I do.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    There is no special way to breathe.

To quote the legendary New Zealand coach Arthur Lydiard, when asked how runners should breathe, “Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears, if you can.”

This.