Wii Fit vs Xbox Kinect

Options
Hi Everyone!

I have been looking at both the Wii Fit and Kinect for about a year now. Hubby is a gamer and uses the Xbox; I haven't played a video game since Donkey Kong Country on...SNES, I think?

Does anyone have a recommendation of one versus the other? Which one do you think is more user-friendly? Has anyone had any really spectacular results with one or the other?

Thanks for your info!

Replies

• lisadoe71
    lisadoe71 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We have a Wii, and I have not had anything else to compare it to, but I do like it. You can weigh in, set goals (which also kindly reminds when you are making them OR not), keeps track of exercise minutes and allows you to create your own work out routine. Good luck! Anything you do is better than doing nothing.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have both and I prefer the Kinect. They are both pretty user friendly, but I find I have a lot more variety with the Kinect.
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I haven't used the Xbox Kinect, but I will say that I love the wii fit. If you get it make sure you get the newer version of Wii Fit Plus. It has a calorie counter that logs how many calories you burned which is a nice bonus when you want to add it onto here. I've also researched the accuracy of the calories that it tells you that you burn and most people said that you actually burn more calories than it tells you. There's also Wii Fit Routines online at wiifitroutines.com. There's ones for weight loss, strength, yoga, and endurance. You can also choose from 30 minutes to 60 minutes. On top of that there are 5 different choice for level (I.E. 30 minutes easy 1, 30 minute easy 2, etc and 30 minutes hard 1, 30 minute hard 2- hope you understand that lol). I printed them out and do a different one everyday. It changes things up a bit. Another thing with the Wii Fit Plus is that I don't even realize that I'm working out. I enjoy it so much that I even use it two and three times a day. Last Thursday I burned 1000 calories throughout the day just because I wanted to play the games. :-)

hope this helps.
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I had the Wii for awhile, and I did use it with the fitness program, yoga, etc. It weighs you and runs you through a series of tests. My husband gave it away because I didn't use it that often since I was going to Bikram Yoga all the time.

I did like it because it weighed me and tested me and helped track my fitness.

The only real active thing I have on the XBox is Dance Central and Zumba Core. I do exercise with Zumba Core, and I wear a Heart Rate Monitor. I enjoy the XBox with the games I have more than I enjoyed the WII.

I don't really have enough experience with equivalent programs/games on both systems though.
  • kazb0t
    kazb0t Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have neither system but my nephews have the Wii and my brother has the Kinect so I have gotten to play both and I much much prefer the Kinect. It forces you to do the movements more than the Wii. Because really, I could just sit in a chair and wave the wii controller around and still hit the marks, whereas with the Kinect, you pretty much have to mimic the moves.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Wii Fit, the Kinect watches you even when you are not using it, it;s very creepy. Plus I find the Wii fit games cuter and more fun. And I like having my Mii.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I haven't used the Xbox Kinect, but I will say that I love the wii fit. If you get it make sure you get the newer version of Wii Fit Plus. It has a calorie counter that logs how many calories you burned which is a nice bonus when you want to add it onto here. I've also researched the accuracy of the calories that it tells you that you burn and most people said that you actually burn more calories than it tells you. There's also Wii Fit Routines online at wiifitroutines.com. There's ones for weight loss, strength, yoga, and endurance. You can also choose from 30 minutes to 60 minutes. On top of that there are 5 different choice for level (I.E. 30 minutes easy 1, 30 minute easy 2, etc and 30 minutes hard 1, 30 minute hard 2- hope you understand that lol). I printed them out and do a different one everyday. It changes things up a bit. Another thing with the Wii Fit Plus is that I don't even realize that I'm working out. I enjoy it so much that I even use it two and three times a day. Last Thursday I burned 1000 calories throughout the day just because I wanted to play the games. :-)

hope this helps.

Very cool, did not know this, I need to get my Wii Fit out again!! Thanks!
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have had both systems and I LOVE my xbox with kinect. There is no way for you to "cheat" at your workouts or games. It has a body scan and you have to move your whole body in just the right way to get the points. The Wii you just have to move the controller in the right way. I do my Zumba on my Kinect and I love it and I have to move exactly how they want, it really keeps you honest.
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We have both. I would give you the following reviews:

Wii is nice to weigh in and it has some decent fitness things. It just seems so much more cumbersome than the xbox. At least it keeps you moving!

XBOX: this is so much more interactive than Wii and you have to just show up in front of the tv. your body is the controller. I have Nike Fitness and LOVE IT!! You can see your "shadow" body move right next to the guy doing the exercises. You can correct your posture and it follows you all the way down to the ground! You can also get a free app on the xbox(download it) called Kinect Fitness and it gives you reward points (used for other purchases) for logging in and doing any of the fitness routines of most all apps and games out there. I like that XBOX has so much available online when you hook it up to your internet. You can preview the fitness games before you buy them, if you like it then you can buy it and download it RIGHT NOW!
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have seen that a lot of people say that you can cheat with the Wii Fit, and that is true. You can definitely cheat, but who are you cheating more- the game or yourself.... If you really care about losing the weight, you will not cheat. I give it my all when I do the Wii Fit Plus. I won't even let my son on mine for fear that it will "screw" me up. Thankfully, you can have multiple accounts on it, so my son has his own. He's constantly asking to "exercise" now :-).
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have the wii and i love it. It does track your weight and workout min. I have the wii fit and 2 of the dance ones.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have both. When I just had Wii, I liked it ok, but I did get tired of the fact that all the moves are targeted toward that one hand. You get tired of waving the one hand around. Also, as others have said, you can cheat. I didn't because I wanted the workout, but when I had my husband play with me, he just stood still and waved the controller and got points. Not cool.

Xbox is harder.
  • srhenderson85
    srhenderson85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Kinect. I have a Wii at home and my sister has an Xbox. I feel like I get a more complete workout with the Kinect because of not having the controller be the focus. I still use my Wii with a HRM when I'm at home, but I greatly prefer the Kinect.
  • anotherkatie16
    anotherkatie16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the feedback, everyone! I think I will price out the Kinect, since so many people seem to like it and we have the Xbox already.

Thanks again!:flowerforyou:
  • ericafaye6988
    ericafaye6988 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use the xbox but I do have both. There is this great game for xbox that is like a real personal trainer. When I use it the game is live action and the trainer encourages me: "You're almost to your personal best", "knees higher" "great correction" etc..

It uses your fitness levels and goals to construct a 4 week program for you. You even chose the days you are going to work out. After 4 weeks, you retest and do it again.

I prefer the xbox because the Wii is too limited. Yeah, it has a scale... I also have one in my bathroom. And the Kinect hasn't been out as long as Wii Fit. They are coming out with awesome fitness games! I have Your Shape and Nike+. Nike+ is my favorite! They also have great dancing games I hear!

http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Kinect-Training-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H27E
  • Macho_Momma
    Macho_Momma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know this is a few days late but try out xbox kinects games like, "Biggest Loser" Its a very good workout on the light settings. Also I use Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012, Love that one. If anyone plays these feel free to msg me and we can train together on the Kinect :)
  • janerfitnesspal145
    Options
    We've had the Wii and Wii Fit Plus (plus for the balance board) for several years now (since Wii first came out). I especially love the fact that the Wii Fit Plus is like having a trainer with you, very helpful when doing the Yoga poses! My husband and I started using Wii Fit Plus as neither of us had time for gyms, so we can workout whenever we have time. My sister and mom live in another state, and we're all very competitive, so we compare how each of us is doing! We just bought the new WiiU (the new Wii Fit Plus doesn't come out for a few months), so my husband picked up Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013, which you don't need the balance board to do, so far he loves it too. So now we have a Wii in separate rooms, we do stretches together, then we each do our own thing on one Wii.

Whichever you choose, just make sure that you do exercises that you enjoy and mix things up so you don't get bored. Who knew I could score consistently higher skate boarding than my 20 year old step-son!