3rd Shift Work and Eating.

Options
Every other weekend I work overnight shifts and I just find myself eating constantly--out of boredom and to stay up.
Any others that feel this way?
Anyone have good tips in this situation??

Replies

• mic1mam
    Options
    I too work nights, this is when I have my snacks that I have fit into cal for the day. I also bring a container of veggies just in case I really get hungry.
  • Rickd530
    Rickd530 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I work nights, constantly, and posted a question yesterday on how to count my calories when most of my life is spent awake. Like right now, I find myself wanting to eat. I say drink water. Find those snacks that are healthy but occupy that "Hand to mouth" urge.
  • Thomas1471
    Options
    That sucks that you have a overnight shift.. i work at a restaurant and it is rather difficult to fight the temptation of nibbling on things here and there. but what i do is drink water and munch on ice ( i kno it is bad for the teeth) or you could use gum? I may not be much help but im tryin =b
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Every other weekend I work overnight shifts and I just find myself eating constantly--out of boredom and to stay up.
    Any others that feel this way?
    Anyone have good tips in this situation??

No chance you can change your boredom foods?

Take some carrot and celery sticks and some low-fat plain yoghurt. Fruits? Crisp, fresh green beans?

Works for a lot of folks.
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bored? Drop and gimme fifty! :p
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know exactly how you feel. I've worked mids for ten years now. Not to scare you, but I gained 70lbs on this shift. So easy to get bored, tired and sleepy and just want something to keep you going. My advice is to pack healthy snacks and leave the soda and snack machine alone. I now bring a lite meal, and two healthy snacks with me. This has me eating about every three hours, which helps my metabolism, and keeps me going. Good luck!
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour night shifts at the hospital, the rules of eatingnarenstill the same. Food doesnt change based on time. Whats heqlthy during the day will be so at night. I like having an apple, a serving of almonds, and a salad with me. Drink lots of water, walk and move around when you need to. I just wish the floors werent so grody here. Id like to do pushups or something while here
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I try to eat all my calories withen the sam 12 hour period every day... So for me that is 7am to 7 pm...if i worked night shift it would probably be 3pm to 3 am... It really helps my sleep patterns. Fitness for me is the big 4. .. Sleep, water, activity and nutrition...keeping them all in check helps
  • Clar28
    Clar28 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    THANKS Everyone for all the great responses and advice!
    I think I just really need to get better at planning (because I usually do plan my meals) and stick to it! I am very tempted to eat the snack machine or house leftovers.

This was some good support and ideas!

Thank you,
    Clarissa