Is there a way to cut weight but gain muscle

Options
I've been attending a gym for 5 weeks and I do strength training for 30 minutes and the Elliptical for 20 minutes. I've lost 15 pounds so far but I still need about 50 pounds or so to get to my goal. Do I have to wait til I reach my goal to really gain muscles and bulk?

Replies

• fruity2
    fruity2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't give you any advice. I'm just posting cos it will make it easier for me to keeps tabs on this. I would also like to know the answer to this. Congrats with your loss thus far.
  • Abram86
    Abram86 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Hopefully we'll find out
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    If you are working out regularly. Doing things you weren't doing before.
    Using muscles you weren't using before. Those muscles are getting stronger.
    You have, I'm guessing changed some of your eating habits.
    Thereby decreasing calorie consumption.
    You will gain muscle at the same time you lose weight.
    Lots of people will tell you this is not possible.
    You won't know at what rate you are gaining muscle.
    But you will be building muscle.
    If you were only restricting calories you would just be losing weight.
    Exercise builds muscle. Doesn't matter if you're dieting or not.
  • AshCharlwood
    AshCharlwood Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is no simple answer to this.

Building muscle will help you burn fat. Think of muscle as an engine. The bigger the engine the more fuel it needs.

Fat is easier for the body to convert to muscle, this is why lifters bulk up before shredding.

Remember a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat but is denser and so is much smaller. This is why changing your body composition is good. Lean muscle looks great, so don't get too focussed on the numbers.

Not sure if it helps, but from what you wrote in your post-do cardio first then resistance (weights), keep your protein up and carbs down...it'll help loads.

keep it up!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    As I understand it if you're new to lifting weights you will be able to have a small muscle gain even whilst on a calorie deficit. Also it will help you not lose muscle like you would if you were on a calorie deficit alone.

Also make sure you keep your protein up to feed your muscles.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Read the book Starting Strength, follow the routine.

Many times people new to lifting can make "newbie gains" while at a slight caloric deficit. You never know if you can do it, unless you try it.

Most of my lifting has been at a caloric deficit, I've made strength gains, but I doubt I've made muscle gains, but my muscles are more defined, and noticeable, as the fat has shrunk. My measurements have gone down, as well, which tells me that I haven't added any muscle.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    if you're asking about a diet. carb-backloading is a bulking diet that will also cut fat. but it isn't one of those next day diets. takes some time
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I've been attending a gym for 5 weeks and I do strength training for 30 minutes and the Elliptical for 20 minutes. I've lost 15 pounds so far but I still need about 50 pounds or so to get to my goal. Do I have to wait til I reach my goal to really gain muscles and bulk?

If you are newbie to lifting, You will be gaining some muscle mass and being in calorie deficit will help in losing fats as long as you are eating enough proteins.

I would say focus on compound movements and follow a good program such as SS and try to increase weights from time to time.
    Worry about bulking and adding muscles mass when you are done with cutting the fats.
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    It can take five years. Those 6 week programs to getting ripped is just bs. The key is to not give up and to think about how different you'll look in five years. We didn't get fat overnight either. While losing fat with lots of cardio gives quicker fat loss results, gaining significant muscle mass, on the other hand, is a much slower process.
  • Abram86
    Abram86 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have changed my eating habit since week one. I eat everything grilled on the George Foreman grill like Tilapia and Salmon Fish, boneless skinless chicken breast, Turkey. I add lean pork and 93/7 beef once a week into my diet. I've given up sodas and any sugar . I try to get my sugar naturally from fruits and foods. I'm began taking flaxseed capsules yesterday and multi vitamins.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I think most people will say, yes, you can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. From my experience, you can lose fat and gain a modest amount of muscle, if conditions are just right. I've done that training hard for about two hours a day, and eating at a 500-1000 cal deficit with decreased carbs and increased protein. It was hellish.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options

This is something I've been researching for a while and this article seems to sum it up pretty well. http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-lose-fat-and-gain-muscle-at-the-same-time.aspx
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Lifting helped me lose weight faster than cardio alone. The closer you get to your goal weight the harder it will be for your body to let the fat go. Hold strong!