I just want to complain...

Options
I'm having a "health issue" that requires me to drink a lot of cranberry juice right now. My fiance went to the store for me and got two 16 oz bottles of cranberry juice to get me through the day. I had half a bottle of Minute Maid cranberry juice cocktail this morning. It was 150 calories and 29 sugars. 29 SUGARS! That's completely ridiculous. And I'm supposed to drink MORE of this today??

Ugh. Just wanted to vent. I guess I'm off to the grocery store (if I ever get time) to look for some low sugar options.

Replies

• BuckeyeLuvvvva
    BuckeyeLuvvvva Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That is frustrating! And just a sidenote... If the "health issue" you speak of is a UTI, the cranberry juice isn't going to do you any good at this point anyway, it's used preventatively only.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    That is frustrating! And just a sidenote... If the "health issue" you speak of is a UTI, the cranberry juice isn't going to do you any good at this point anyway, it's used preventatively only.

Agreed...if that is in fact the issue, I would get to the doc and get the antibiotic right away. Takes away the discomfort and the extra calories :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Brutal! Presidents Choice Blue Menu is 30 calories per cup and Ocean Spray has both 30-calorie options and a new 15 calories cranberry juice, which I saw on commercial last night.

If it’s the health issue I'm suspecting, cranberry is good but water does almost the same thing. Keep chugging water, LOTS, have some cranberry juice and try to incorporate cranberry juice into your daily routine to prevent future health issues.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Yep, cranberries and cranberry juice are prevnetative, not when it is occurring.

When I had to go to the urologist he told me that blueberry juice and cranberry juice have enough acid when you don't have an infection to keep the bacteria from adhering to any of the surface in your bladder or urinary tract.

And because it is acidic, it can actually be an irritant to the bladder when you already have an infection.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Cranberry juice cocktail is only something like 20% juice anyway... I hate to say it but regular cranberry juice would be better for the "health issue" (though not as tasty!) Hope you are feeling better soon, those are the worst!
  • AlexandraNK
    AlexandraNK Posts: 54
    Options
    I just saw Cranberry pills in the Pharmacy. Next to all the Vitamins, i don't know if they work or if they are any good but that might be a way to get the same benifit without the calories or less.
  • bunnigun
    bunnigun Posts: 12
    Options
    Cran-Aid herbal tea is helpful. If you have frozen cranberries you can make a light smoothie if you can handle the tart.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I just saw Cranberry pills in the Pharmacy. Next to all the Vitamins, i don't know if they work or if they are any good but that might be a way to get the same benifit without the calories or less.

I was going to mention cranberry capsules as well!
  • rwaltjen
    rwaltjen Posts: 5
    Options
    The cranberry vitamins work !!! Take those instead. I keep a bottle at home at all times. I only take them on occasion, when needed. They are great at preventing infections, but can also help if your UTI is just starting. If it's too late, you definitely need to see the doctor. I haven't had to go to my doctor in a few years for this "issue".
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    The only good thing for that particular problem is either a prescription antibiotic or OTC medication such as Cystex.

Basically, skip the cranberry juice, drink water, and see a doctor.
  • marybethbeech
    marybethbeech Posts: 181
    Options
    I don't have that problem... Yet. But I am on a medicine that increases the frequencies, so for the next 2 weeks I'm at high risk.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't go with the cranberry juice that you mentioned. You need to get the kind that has no added sugar 100% cranberry. It is really bitter but it's what you need to drink to help with it. The kinds that have sugar added don't have the same benefits. I was told to take 2 tbsp and add one cup of water to it so that it dilutes some of the bitterness. Good luck hope that you don't end up with one man they are pain!