Can anyone explain the best way to do 30 day shred?

Options
I am thinking of getting Jillian Michaels 30-day shred, but what is the best way to do it?

How many days are you supposed to do level 1?

Someone mentioned that they started doing level 1 with NO WEIGHTS, then moved up to tiny weights, then again upped the weight a bit more, but are you supposed to do that? I have no upper body strength, so I don't think I could start off with weights and not fail. I do weight training in the gym, but it's meager and although it's hard for me to do, I don't feel any benefits (don't feel sore the next day).

Anyone got any advice?

Replies

• cupkate88
    Options
    I think you do each level for 10 days each?
  • Sara2184
    Sara2184 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be 10 days on each level. I broke my ankle last year, so I do it with some modifications & plan to do a level a month because I saw some crazy *kitten* on level 2 & I don't think my legs can handle it
  • Qlow
    Qlow Posts: 92
    Options
    Do 10 days of Level 1 without rest days, 10 for lvl2, 10 for lvl 3.
    And do it with small weights (I can go trough it with 3 lb/1.5kg ones and believe me, I don't have upper body strength at all :) )
    The first 4 days will be HELL, at least for me it was because I felt so sore I couldn't even walk properly, but after 4-5 days it's a LOT easier and you'll enjoy it. Being sore is the best way to know you exercised and used muscles you didn't even know they exist.

Great decision getting the 30DS, join the group, add me if you want!
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. But the last time I tried the shred, I couldn't do it with the weights. Surely this would be counterproductive?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. But the last time I tried the shred, I couldn't do it with the weights. Surely this would be counterproductive?

What strength training do you do at the gym?

Your handbag must weight more than a couple of lbs, so you should be able to use some weights.

ETA: if you feel no difference in your body after a workout it would be because you haven't worked hard enough
  • robinr515
    Options
    When I did it, I took two weeks for each level, with Sundays and Wednesdays off--believe me, it helps to have an occasional rest day in there. As far as the weights go, if I were you, I'd try to do as much as I could with weights, and finish whatever's left without them.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Jillian herself advices to take rest days in between. I'd do 5 days 1 week, then 5 days the next, then move on to the next level. Your muscles need a chance to repair. As for weights, I used 2 500 ml water bottles filled with water and that was hard for me, but everyone can lift different weights so you'll have to find your own limit with that.
  • TaniaB_79
    TaniaB_79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to do 10 days at each level but I think its all about doing what your comfortable with and pushing yourself at the same time, I stuck on Level 2 for 14 days, partly because I started L1 with no weights then small weights and I knew I needed to build up some arm strength, plus my calorie burn was staying static, where it dropped off after 10 days of level 2. Now on day 4 of level 3 today and still doing some of the modified moves, but once I've done the 10 days I'll have a break and go back to level 1 and try the advanced moves.

Its been said elsewhere on the forum that Jillian herself recommends something like 2 days on, 1 day cardio, 2 days on, 1 day cardio and a complete rest day (I think!)

ETA: I'm 7lbs and several inches down since I started, but more importantly for me, the back fat is almost gone!!
  • Felicias64
    Felicias64 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I hated working out and could barely do 3 girl push-ups when I started Jillians Shred! I used 3 lb weights on everything. 10 days of each level is what you are supposed to do. I am now on Level 3 Day 5 and I can do REAL pushups I can do most of Natalies moves some I still have to modify though. I had NO upper body strength when I started. I did the first 15 days with no breaks took a rest day and did about 4 more days then i had to take 2 days off because I got sick. I would suggest taking 1 rest day/week. I would do six days on and then take a rest day it is good to just relax and let your body heal. I think 2 days is to long though trust me after being sick and taking 2 days off getting started again was HARD and it almost felt like day 1 all over again!

I love Jillians Shred and am considering going back to Level 1 and trying all Natalies moves all over again once I finish.. I still have a lot to lose and alot of strength to gain!

I am down 11lbs and 7.5 inches since January 1.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    When i first started i didn't own any weights, so used 2 cans of tomatoes or two bottles of water, for me i found my arms were throbbing, my legs were fine. i believe your supposed to do 30 days straight, 10 days of each level, but thats not always possible, do what feels right for you/what fits into you life. best of luck, you'll see amazing results but remember to take measurements :drinker:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Jillian herself advices to take rest days in between. I'd do 5 days 1 week, then 5 days the next, then move on to the next level. Your muscles need a chance to repair. As for weights, I used 2 500 ml water bottles filled with water and that was hard for me, but everyone can lift different weights so you'll have to find your own limit with that.
    THIS! Jillian has been quoted saying that she was shocked to hear that people were doing the workouts for 30 days straight, something she never intended! Rest days are very important, and I believe ever other Jillian workout I own has her advising at least one rest day per week.

When I did 30DS, I averaged doing it 4 or 5 days a week, some weeks only 3 days if I was busy. I still go results. I moved up a level when I felt I was ready for it, and probably did each level for a total of 7 to 10 days, just wrapped into the next week.

As for weights/no weights - I started with the only dumbbells I had at the time, my old 5 lb-ers. I could barely move for three days after that. :tongue: Went out & bought some 2 & 3 lb dumbbells and worked with those, gradually getting stronger and always using the heaviest weight I could manage for each move.

Don't be afraid of rest days - muscles heal & repair when we rest, the exercise creates tiny tears in the muscle, gotta give it time to heal up! Also helps avoid burnout from trying to go for so many days without a break.
  • tstancom
    tstancom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try level 1 out online to see. It's up on youtube right now, so you can do the workout once and check how much weight you can handle and then adjust accordingly.

I'm on Day 9 of level 1 and I've been doing it straight through with no rest days so far, but I'm also working at lower weight than I can probably manage and my cardio was good before I started. I do modified push-ups because those are still hard enough that I can barely finish the second set. However, I'm moving up to 5lb weights for some of the easier exercises now, and I'm more satisfied with how I feel after. I don't plan to take a rest day yet, but that might change when I hit level 2.

I think it's OK to go every day if you are just a little bit stiff, but if you're really sore (like you can't walk up stairs properly or lift your arm to get a plate out of the cupboard), you should definitely take rest days for recovery, and you should probably ramp it down a bit, too. So far I've lost 2lbs and an inch off my hips, and 1/2 inch off my waist.
  • Poetic_Photography
    Options
    I think that you're supposed to switch to a new level every ten days, but I'm so out of shape that I'm sticking to the level until my body is ready to move to the next one... Any movement is better than no movement, right?! :happy: The good thing about it is that you can adapt it to where you're at right now. It's an intense workout, but once you get past the first few days you'll be amazed at your increased endurance! (I'm starting Day 7 today)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be 10 days each level, with one rest day per week according to Jillian. Or you could just take a couple rest days after every 10 days.

I just started with really light weights, like 2 pounds. Now when I do it I use 5 to 8 pounds. I wouldn't recommend doing it with no weight, you won't gain much strength that way. If you fail at first it's okay - that means it's as tough as it's supposed to be!
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    you can do it with weeights. Use 1 lb weights or a can of soup. Just use something.
    Also, do level one until you can do level 2. Even if it takes a few weeks do not movfe on until you can get through level 1.

30DS is hard. I've actaully found myself cursing at Jillian during it saying that I hate her. I've never made it past level 2. You can do this. Just don't give up.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I read in an interview with Jillian a while back that she designed it to be 5 days a week not EVERY day. And recommended to not take the 2 days off in a row. So I do it 2 days, then do her cardio kickboxing video, then 3 days and then either a rest day or another video.

I second what DebbieMc3 suggested, cans of soup. I did that until I bought 3 lb weights a few days ago. I just completed day 10 and have already lost 5 inches all together. Level 1 is still a little tough, I only JUST got it through without any modifications but I'm still moving on to level 2 tomorrow. I don't feel I will get stronger just doing what I am adjusting too, like she says, need to put stress on the body.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've been doing each level for 10 days, with 1 rest day/week. I started with soup cans and moved to 3lb weights by day 5. Some exercises were still too easy (row) and some were really hard (side lunges). I've found the same at level 2, although most of the strength exercises on this level really have my muscles screaming.
  • ValsRad
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of 30DS, and I use 10lbs weights on each hand. Hopefully I see see a difference. But this is my warm up. Not too bad I like the cardio! It beats running on a treadmill for an hour! Good luck!
  • lesculp
    lesculp Posts: 1
    Options
    My Jillian Shred DVD gives me four options under Workouts: Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, and Week 4. Am I supposed to do the Week 1 work out for five or six days in a row? The same workout 5/6 days straight?
  • daydreamblighter
    Options
    I think the best answer is to listen to your body and push yourself as hard as you feel you can go. Don't be afraid to take things a little bit easier if you're finding it too hard or it's really uncomfortable. And experiment with Level 2 just as soon as you feel like a change.

There are various ways to make the moves easier, e.g. a smaller range of movement or using lighter weights.

Even though I can do Level 2 pretty well now, sometimes I still go back to Level 1 just for a bit of variety.

Overall - there's no right or wrong answer, just do what you feel comfortable with. Be tough on yourself, but not *too* tough!