Confession's of a late night snacker

Options
i'll do great all day, ill be healthy and solid, and even find time to workout and give myself a treat. but then 10 hits and BAM

-Cerial (over 500 caloires of it.)
-cookies (over 200 caloires.)
-chips (over 200 calories.)

HELP?!

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing to do is not buy them... If they aren't there, they aren't consumed!!!!!!!
  • xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing to do is not buy them... If they aren't there, they aren't consumed!!!!!!!

^^^ THIS.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Well I'm always asleep by 10 so that would fix the problem too.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    or save calories so you can reach for something healthy in the evenings like fruit or veggies. I am most hungry in the evenings too. Exercise helps me get my mind off of food too.
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It is very hard. Get rid of them if you can. Easy if you live alone. With a family is harder. Try and plan to have things to do. Get your things ready for the next day. Most of all keep faith you will conquer this
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Just imagine some hot, lean abs on yourself and throw them out. Seriously, whenever I'm tempted to reach for a treat I just imagine myself with a huge gut and boom, I'm instantly turned off to junk food.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Figure out the underlying emotional reason why you feel the need to eat like that at 10PM and deal with it. Don't buy those things and keep them in the house if they are trigger foods for you.
  • Brokecoffeeaddict
    Brokecoffeeaddict Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i live with a family who LOVES there junk food, and they also are all pretty large size wise and yell at me i need to stop loosing weight (even though i still have a ways to go) but it stresses me out so i overeatto get there approval, even thogh they cant see me overeating
  • astylla
    astylla Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I agree with not having them in the house. When I started taking my health seriously the items are there and there will always be a reason to choose them - but I choose NOT to. I stock fruits and veggies. If i want a special snack I choose low calorie options.

I am a sugar addict so I have to keep that away..we all have our own challenges but it's how we face them that determines our success.
  • daggoneit
    daggoneit Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same. Now I always have some fruits in my room that I can snack on because when there's food in my room I'm usually too lazy to get to the kitchen and eat cookies :p
  • sophiesummerdiet
    sophiesummerdiet Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Cereal is the worst! I used to be the same - if I had one bowl I would binge on that followed by whatever unhealthy food was in the cupboard! I now don't buy any cereal - have porridge for breakfast, and if I eat that late at night it takes longer to make and is warm and filling and doesn't make me go for the cupboard again. Hope that helps!
  • carolinelittle
    carolinelittle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't buy it/limit it. I've made soup a couple times and that would def be a great late night thing to have, heat up a mugful, fill your belly with yum. :) I will prob make a batch tomorrow. It is so easy, the prep is what puts me off so I have discovered how awesome food processors are and use my long neglected one. Chuck all the vegies in, process, put in pot with water, stock, seasoning, boil and simmer, voila! :) Add a grain or pulse if you want to bulk it up, I might add a cup of rice to tomorrow's. The last vegie and rice soup I made was 163 calories per bowl (6 huge serves total). Very filling. A great way to get your vegies in too! HTH. Just remember so much of this journey is a mind battle. Don't let it beat you.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    1. Don't buy junk - if it's not there you can't eat it.

2. I prefer to eat in the evening so I keep my calories light throughout the day so I can always have a snack late on, if I want. Calories in, calories out - time of day does not matter.

3. Plan your snacks in advance and log them in MFP - that way you don't feel guilty when you have them and can take your time and enjoy them.

4. Healthy snacks don't have to be boring - my fave is banana icecream. Chop a banana, put in a freezer bag, freeze, take out, blitz in a food processor (or with stick blender), keep blending until it turns into soft-whip icecream. Amazing stuff. Even better, add a spoon of pure cocoa powder for chocolate icecream or cocoa and some instant coffee. Got to be tried to be believed, and far nicer than munching miserably through a normal banana.

5. Another favourite is coffee with frothy milk - feels luxurious and doesn't have to blow your calories. I use a Bodum milk frother with semi-skimmed milk - I need a spoon to eat the last bit out of my mug it's so thick. If it's late on I use decaf so I don't stay awake. Just make sure you log the calories in the milk.

6. Frozen grapes - just stick them in a freezer bag and freeze. Can be eaten one at a time. They go all fizzy and taste like little sweets.
  • akburgess78
    Options
    Many years ago well a couple maybe less, I use to wake up in the morning with chocolate biscuts in my bed, either melted on my face, hand or under my pillow!!! i could not remember getting them let alone eating them, one day it stoped and didnt happen any more,
  • xxcatyxx555
    Options
    take it from me as a former late night snacker have the willpower for one week to not eat after 7 and TRUST ME YOU WILL NEVER WANT TO STOP. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Another trick i know is to drink a full water bottle, you'll be full. Feel free to reach out whenever you need help! :D
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Question- are you watching TV at 10:00 at night? That usually leads to an "I need a snack" mentality.