Am I the only one that finds it hard to eat enough protein?

Options
I didn't know much about nutrition before I joined MFP. I definitely didn't understand the importance of getting a balance between carbs, fat and protein - I'd just count calories and if I was under my goal that was fine with me!

Now I know a little bit more (although am def still learning) and have started strength training, I've been trying to make sure I meet my protein goal every day but I find it SO DIFFICULT. I have to make a really determined effort to get there every day, and even when I think I've done really well I still sometimes find I'm under.

Am I the only one? Why is it so hard to eat enough protein?? Anyone have any tips for adding more protein in?

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Do you like meat?

I do.

I rarely have a problem getting enough protein in :).

But, then as a young teenager I'd often be spending my pocket money at the delicatessen buying nice Ham (my mum always bought the cheapest stuff if at all) than the sweet shop!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Some may have that problem, but it's my sense that most will say that they generally are over what MFP lists. I know I'm way over. Increasing your protein and reducing your carbs, especially your simple carbs, will help you stay fuller longer and help you maintain muscle mass as you cut calories.
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    either increase intake of meat if you like it or have it, canned tuna is good if you know how to work with it to make it more palatable. the other option is whey protein
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    What Is Your protein goal?

Zara
  • kabertrand63
    kabertrand63 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You don't need the 30% they've drilled into our heads all our lives! you really only need 5-10% protein and you can easily get that from the foods you eat now.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    1st let me point out that the calorie goal is not a goal to come under. It's your goal to reach that. It already has a calorie deficit built in and since you've started weight lifting you want to be sure to reach and go over it if you want to build muscle. You can (maybe beginners gains at first), build muscle on a calorie dificit...only on a surplus.

Protein. If you don't like meat (land based animals) there are lots of other ways to reach it. There is fish, lentils and dairy, protein bars and powders just to name a few.

Hope this helps
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think meat might be the way to go...partner is a vegetarian so that means I don't eat as much as I used to.

My daily protein goal is 112 and my calorie goal is 1490 - I think these are the goals that MFP set me.

I'm amazed that other people don't find it as hard as me!! Maybe I can blame the food we have in the UK :p (that was a joke btw, don't want to offend any protein-loving Brits!)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    You don't need the 30% they've drilled into our heads all our lives! you really only need 5-10% protein and you can easily get that from the foods you eat now.

Actually that's not true - it depends on what your goals are. I've just started lifting weights and need more protein to help repair and build new muscle.

AND that's not what the op asked.

I get mine in my eating lots of tuna/mackerel/sardines, cottage cheese, pulses and turkey/chicken/beef. I also use whey powder, I normally mix this in with my milk if I have cereal for breakfast. or have it just as a shake after exercising. If you do want to eat around 30% protein after only having 15% it can take a bit of getting use to. Slowing increase it each day and soon it will be second nature.

I love mixing tuna with red onion and cottage cheese - it sounds weird but tastes delicious and is fab for hitting your protein goals

PS I'm a protein loving brit :drinker:
  • tinydancer4
    Options
    1st let me point out that the calorie goal is not a goal to come under. It's your goal to reach that. It already has a calorie deficit built in and since you've started weight lifting you want to be sure to reach and go over it if you want to build muscle. You can (maybe beginners gains at first), build muscle on a calorie dificit...only on a surplus.

Protein. If you don't like meat (land based animals) there are lots of other ways to reach it. There is fish, lentils and dairy, protein bars and powders just to name a few.

Hope this helps

On your first point - thanks, I know that now :-) Back in my pre-MFP days I would take the calorie goal I read on the side of the cereal packet (in the UK we get told women need 2000 calories a day) and then try and stay under that, even if all my calories were coming from chocolate. Thankfully those days are over!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Some days yes, I don't want to eat meat everyday so I go for fish and seafood, which are great for protein and usually low in cals depending on how you prepare it.
  • tinydancer4
    Options

Actually that's not true - it depends on what your goals are. I've just started lifting weights and need more protein to help repair and build new muscle.

I get mine in my eating lots of tuna/mackerel/sardines, cottage cheese, pulses and turkey/chicken/beef. I also use whey powder, I normally mix this in with my milk if I have cereal for breakfast. or have it just as a shake after exercising. If you do want to eat around 30% protein after only having 15% it can take a bit of getting use to. Slowing increase it each day and soon it will be second nature.

I love mixing tuna with red onion and cottage cheese - it sounds weird but tastes delicious and is fab for hitting your protein goals

Thanks, those are some good ideas. Where do you get your whey powder from? I might try it.
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one! I find it very hard - I do eat meat and fish but not often (usually two meals a week, say). But this week I filled the trolley with meat and fish as that seems to be the only way to hit the protein target. I don't like eating that much meat though and it is expensive. I've tried upping pulses but they add a lot of carb, and I've tried upping dairy but then you get too much fat. Quinoa is want to be good source of protein, so I wil try that. Any other tips anyone?
  • BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    Options
    I find it difficult as I am not really a big on eating meat
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I find it tough to keep protein high, but i'm getting better at it with more knowledge.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think meat might be the way to go...partner is a vegetarian so that means I don't eat as much as I used to.

My daily protein goal is 112 and my calorie goal is 1490 - I think these are the goals that MFP set me.

I'm amazed that other people don't find it as hard as me!! Maybe I can blame the food we have in the UK :p (that was a joke btw, don't want to offend any protein-loving Brits!)

Sounds like good goals. I'm a Brit and manage it. I find low carb is harder than high protein in the UK

Breakfast. Fage green yogurt 2%...200g is around 150 cals 20g protein. (I often add berries)
    Any kind of breakfast with eggs is good.

Snack cheese string 6g

Lunch tuna or chicken salad or wraps. Chicken noodle soup today 30g protein

Snack nuts. Few grams.

Dinner (tea). 200g any lean meat and lots of veggies. About 50g protein.

Snack anything that fits macros. Tonight home made popcorn.

I'm days where I'm struggling to meet goals I use a protein powder. Usn igf1 strawberry Is a great one!

Zara
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Thanks, those are some good ideas. Where do you get your whey powder from? I might try it.

I get this one from amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Chocolate-Protein/dp/B002DYIZH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360500421&sr=8-1

Changed link as it seemed to take you to my account! they do various flavours and sizes.

I prefer the vanilla one - its tastes great (imho) and I have it with cereal or on it's one. I also have chocolate mint for a chocolate hit and I tried the strawberry - which I hated. :sad:

If you have any health food places near you you might be able to get a smaller sample to try. as it is I'm mixing half strawberry with vanilla in smoothies to use it up. It can be an expensive mistake when you hate the flavour :grumble:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with it. I'm not a huge meat eater, although I do like to have meat with dinner. I don't really like eggs, but I've added them to my breakfast so I can make my protein goal. I also eat a lot of cottage cheese and greek yogurt, and I usually have to add something like tuna. I don't love tuna but I don't mind it. I love quinoa but it's kind of expensive so I don't have it often. Dairy is a good source of protein as well. Good luck. I feel like it's worth eating a few things that are just ok in order to get the benefits of protein.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I find it hard to get enough protein, and I'm British but not living in Britain. I eat chicken, minced beef, eggs, prawns, tuna, beans and protein powder. I would eat lentils too but my youngest (almost 3) is allergic to them and she would eat them if I let her, so I feel bad eating lentils in front of her and telling her she's not allowed any :(
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I may be the only other one. I have only met my protein goal once in the last three weeks. That includes two protein shakes a day on most days. If I eat fish at lunch and dinner and three egg whites with breakfast along with the shakes I come close but still struggle. I am not too worried because I always hear how tough all this protein is on our livers. I aim for 100grams even though my goal is closer to 150.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I sometime feel like I'm getting too much protein. I try to aim for 1-1.5 grams per lb of lean body weight, so roughly 100-150g a day for me. There are a good number of non-meat protein sources including some grains, legumes, beans, soy products, dairy, and veggies. Don't get me wrong, I like meat and eat a lot of it as my protein sources; I just like to keep a variety of sources so I don't feel like I eat a pound of chicken or tuna a day.