Sunflower seeds - eating the shell

Options
Okay, so I'm one who eats seeds--shell and all. Done it all my life. I've done a lot of research and can't find ANY source for nutritional information for seeds when you eat the shell. The info is just for the unshelled kernels.

The representative from David sunflower seeds said "while the shell is safe, we don't recommend eating eat and thus don't provide nutritional information for that." I've heard from others who have said they are sure the nutritional info for the shells is "close" to that of the kernels.

I'm sure that may be true, but if anyone else is like me they'd like to know exactly what they're eating. I don't expect the info with the shells to be dramatically different, but it probably does contain some more fiber/calories that I'd like to track.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Gerry

Replies

• kamiAK
    kamiAK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    weird
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Funny you say that. David brand was the only brand I bought because the shells were dry enough to eat. Too salty for me now though. I think the shell is mostly fibre. The high cals come from the fat in the kernel. Not positive though...
    Not weird. :wink:
    Shell crunchers unite!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would probably assume about half the caloric content that the seeds provide, and quite a lot of fiber and sodium if they're the salted kind. Just an assumption though, haha.. so it's really hard to say.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you think about it, there's probably a reason animals (and most people) discard them and that's because they have little nutritive value...again, guessing. I've found watching animals teaches me a lot though.
  • jshot278
    jshot278 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you, but, since you already think they may have too many cals, I'd avoid. I love sunflower seeds, but gave
    them up when I found out how much fat is in them. I was very shocked by that.