Exercising at home (cannot afford a gym)

Options
1 thing for me that is a problem is room because I live at home with 4 other people. My room is tiny and the only space we have is in my living room behind a sofa. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone could share their experiences/tips/workout plans from working out at home? I'm currently doing The Firm: Cardio Dance Workout on DVD which I started yesterday. That's four 20 minute workouts and I'm also doing sit ups, squats and push ups - about 15 of each so far (just a beginner). Thank you :)

Replies

• kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I hit the outdoors for my cardio workouts. Indoors I do some strength workouts. Works for me without the cost of the gym.
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 30-day shred by Jillian Michaels at home and I don't need much floor space to get it done (and the DVD is pretty cheap). A lot of people have had a lot of success with that video. Besides that, you can do circuit training with various body weight exercise and exercises that take light weights (you can use soup cans or water bottles or whatever). I have a collection of little workouts on pinterest if you want to check them out: http://pinterest.com/ilanam/fitness/
  • MizMliss
    MizMliss Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? YouTube is filled with free workouts, pick up a kettlebell, some five pound weights and take your workout to a park, Take up running, couch to 5k is an excellent program for beginner runners. Swimming at your local rec. find a bank of stairs and throw yourself up and down them. The possibilities are endless. Take it from someone who refuses to accept the idea one must pay to live a healthy lifestyle. Not the case at all, you just have to get creative. Good Luck!
  • mochablend
    mochablend Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I lost a good amount of weight 2 years ago (32 lbs) I did it by walking for one hour before work every day and walking 2-3 hours on the weekend. 3 of us did it pretty regularly and then my friends started having excuses and I continued walking alone for 6 months but the truth is I really crave their company and use it as motivation. Maybe you need to get away from your place and you could use it as "me" time?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    i work out at home, in my room mostly although I have a treadmill in front of the TV. however it sounds like I have more space than you, and yes that can make things difficult. Can you move stuff around in your room to make space? even if its just for the time you exercise (moving furniture pre workout would add a little extra to your workout lol)

I have my own weights, well the barbell I have is borrowed from a friend and i'd like to buy my own. You can probably find peopel selling stuff in your local area online, and theres usually a good market for 2nd hand exercise equipment
  • EndlessSunshine
    EndlessSunshine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use my smart phone to workout. I have a yoga app, I use you tube, I have workout trainer app, i also put Zumba music to dance too on pandora. Working out is easier this way for me.
  • AmandaDawnRN
    AmandaDawnRN Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Zumba or Rockin Body with Shaun T DVDs. If you give them your all you can burn 500+ calories with each work out. They are both fun which makes them easier to stick with.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    I would say, the most important factor would be choosing what YOU enjoy doing. Because the best exercise/workout of all is whatever activity you consistently DO.

Since you have tv (as you are running a DVD) i wonder if you have either a laptop or other portable device that can access Youtube on the internet. If you do, all you need is a cable from the electronics store that will allow you to connect to the tv as if it were your monitor.

You can then try out and bookmark all kinds of things that you might want to try. If you like the cardio dance aspect, but not this instructor so much (or once you are bored with this particular routine) search under "cardio dance" If you really like this instructor, search by the name. I know The Firm has several different instructors, so maybe try some of the other ones, or rotate between them.

Don't run out and buy one ... but if your household has an XBox Kenex gaming system (or a Wii, but looking at the picture I am guessing the age bracket is more likely to be XBox), that wouldn't require any more space than you are using now. And also check video rental store, if you have any (my town doesn't any more) or the public library for DVDs or games of interest to try out before you buy.

Whatever holds your interest while challenging you is the best choice for you.

Keep at it!
  • panshee
    panshee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym but now with 2 kids don't have the time. I've been doing Jillian Michaels DVDs - 30 day shred and Ripped in 30. Both are under $10 but you can also get them on youtube I think. You don't need a ton of space, as long as you can get down on the floor and do a pushup and do jumping jacks when standing should be good enough. I was doubtful about how hard they would work me but in just 20-30 minutes a day I get in a good workout, am losing weight and building strength too. Good luck!
  • Thank you all so much, this has given me quite a few ideas! :)