How close to daily calorie goal?

Options
Hello! According to TDEE calculations, I should eat about 1,600-1,700 a day (that is subtracting out 20% for weight loss). There are days when I am close to 1,600 and days when I might be a little over and days where I am at just 1,400.

I guess my question is: how close are you guys to your calorie goal each day?

Replies

• MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Once I got within 2 calories, although not on purpose. Personally, I'm happy if I'm 100 calories on either side. I do have some friends who live and die by the numbers, though. It's just not my character.
  • raqalex
    raqalex Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I try to stay 100 cal above or below, i realize this helps me maintain my weight or at lose a little. Though there are some days i just cant seem to eat all those calories. Just listen to your body, it will let you know.
  • Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1335 and I usually have about 150-200 calories left over,I'll eat them if i'm hungry,and I don't if I'm not :)
  • juliesmithdiet
    Options
    About 200 less than what MFP suggests for me so 1000 instead of 1200 calories.
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with +/- 100 from my goal.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options

^^ That is a super bad idea. Don't eat less than 1200 calories.

I try to focus netting above my BMR, but most days I'm within 100 calories of my goal.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under my 1400 goal but not too far under. I see it as a problem if I am under 1000 calories. Sometimes I find myself having a fourth meal for the day. I'm finding that it is verry easy to eat all day long and eat very few calories.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I try to be withing 50 calories either way, but I don't object to being off by 100. Even being over by 200, you're still at a deficit. Even being over by 500, you're still maintianing. As long as I'm not over by 500 several days in a row, I'm satisfied.
  • erg2013
    erg2013 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, that's helps a lot!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm usually pretty close to my calorie goal. I use the TDEE method, so the only adjustments I make is if I can't do my intended workouts like last week...just too much crap going on and also recovering from an injury so I had to eat a bit under my goal...otherwise, if I'm doing my normal routine, it's pretty important for me to eat damn close to my goal. I'm set to lose very slowly so I don't have a lot of wiggle room up from my goal and I workout 6 days per week...3x intense cardio and 3x heavy lifting so it's important that I'm properly fueling my body as their are specific fitness results I'm looking for, not just weight loss.
  • juliesmithdiet
    Options

I try to focus netting above my BMR, but most days I'm within 100 calories of my goal.

All I am going to say on this is my diet is working for me I lose between 1lb and 2lb per week depending if I can walk or not. Really you don't know anything about me, disabled people need to eat less as with my disability I cannot exercise. I am not suggesting anyone else copy me I was saying what I do.
  • Abi_bug04
    Options
    Since I have plenty of weight to lose (~60lbs) I am currently eating at my BMR. So I try to get <50 calories within my goal on the low end, and approximately 100 calories if I am going above (but this is rare). I dont worry too much about going a bit higher, but if I am a bit low, I try to eat a small low cal snack in order to get closer. But all in all, I don't think it matters too much as long as you are staying reasonably around your goal!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I've been averaging about +1299 on a weekend basis, and -1701 on a weekday basis, so around +650 per Saturday/Sunday and -340 through the week days, this is since the new year began. My biggest single days in either direction were +2478 and -1375 (on a Saturday and a Sunday no less).

I track things in an Excel and I try to do a good job day to day, but I hold weekly importance to a higher level.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options

All I am going to say on this is my diet is working for me I lose between 1lb and 2lb per week depending if I can walk or not. Really you don't know anything about me, disabled people need to eat less as with my disability I cannot exercise. I am not suggesting anyone else copy me I was saying what I do.

You're right, I didn't know, because you said you were under eating without any context. Posting generic info like that to the forums is misleading and might lead someone to believe it's OK to eat so low when the majority of people should not.
  • juliesmithdiet
    Options
    I assumed I was speaking for myself not telling anyone else to do what I am doing. The original question is what I answered nothing else.