For those that don't eat back exericse calories.

Options
2»

Replies

• LeeBee2012
    LeeBee2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you want to be more accurate then yes you need one.

This is the kind of false information you will find all over these forums. Don't drink the kool aid.

Okay, I don't think anyone NEEDS one but I don't see how that statement is false.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you want to be more accurate then yes you need one.

This is the kind of false information you will find all over these forums. Don't drink the kool aid.

Okay, I don't think anyone NEEDS one but I don't see how that statement is false.

Because the statement is not true. A HRM will not make your tracking more accurate because their readings are not that accurate. They offer a rough guess regarding calories burned, and then only under the best conditions (steady state cardio). People here are so caught up with wanting to see numbers that they don't stop to consider the accuracy of those numbers.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories but I got my HRM (Polar FT4) to make sure I was working hard enough at the gym. I'm not very connected to my body so it's been really helpful to make sure I'm "in the zone" - working hard enough but not over-doing it.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Well, I will say that I LOVE my fitbit. I wear it all the time, and I love checking the stats. Also, I base the calories I have left off of the fitbit site versus MFP, as I think it's more accurate throughout the day.

But the best past about it is what others have said. It's a great motivator for me to get up and move and to get my steps in. While I'm working (I work from home), I will set a timer for 1 minute every once in a while and jog in place to get extra steps.

I love all the numbers from MFP and fitbit, so it works for me. Obviously, it's not a necessity, but I'm sure glad I have one!