S.O.S.!!!! WHY I GAINED WEIGHT?? S.O.S.!!!!!

Options
OK ! I STARTED GOING TO THE GYM AT FEBRUARY 1st AND ALSO STARTED COUNTING MY CALORIES...
I AM 5'4'' AND I STARTED AT 154.5 lbs. I WENT DOWN TO 148.5 IN A FEW DAYS BUT NOW I AM BACK TO
154!!!!! WHY??? I BURN 800-900 CALORIES 4-5 TIMES A WEEK AND I ONLY EAT ABOUT 1200 CALORIES
A DAY!! DO I DO SOMETHING WRONG??? WHY I GAINED WEIGHT INSTEAD OF LOSING??? PLEASE HELP
ME!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• ragedracer1977
    ragedracer1977 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's possible you're adding muscle to replace fat.
  • is that possible that soon???? only in ten days???
  • Jayeskay
    Jayeskay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's only 10th Feb now. Keep doing what you're doing and stay off the scales for at least a week.....it's frustrating, but it takes 10x longer to get the weight off than to put it on!
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Water weight. The majority of what you lost the first few days was probably just water. Then you did a few workouts and started to retain water. as your muscles started healing. A weight loss of 0.5lbs seems much more realistic than a loss of more than 5lbs in a few days.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? You should if you aren't.
  • kaee13
    kaee13 Posts: 15
    Options
    No. After 10 days at that deficit, you are not building muscle. Your problem is that you have too much big off a deficit. You need to be eating more than 1200 if you are working out that much and not eating back to exercise calories.
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle - too soon, and you're not eating enough to build muscle anyway.

Weight fluctuates daily. You've only been going to the gym for 10 days, so your body is adjusting to new exercise, and likely a lot fewer calories than you were eating before. Do you eat back your exercise cals? With a 1200 daily goal you should be eating them back. If you're not, with an 800 calorie burn is only leaving your body 400 calories to function on. :noway: Food is fuel - if you're going to ask your body to push hard through exercise and burn all those calories, you've got to give it the fuel to do it!
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Chill out.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    is that possible that soon???? only in ten days???

No, that's not why you have gained. It's likely that your body is holding on to water to repair your muscles from working out. It will come off. Allow your body time to adjust.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Starting a new workout routine or intensifying your routine can cause water weight gain of several pounds that will just hang around to help your body repair muscle and then will leave when it feels good and ready.

Take measurements or check how your clothes are fitting as well as using the scale and don't freak out about a number.
  • misseenk
    misseenk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    have you thought about your sodium intake? and have you given your body a day to rest?
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Eating too little, you are. Gained muscle, you have not.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate like that. If you are doing what you are suppose to be doing, do not worry. It will all come together.
    Some days I lose two pounds, then gain it back, but the next day I lose 3.
    Who knows why!
    Just do not worry or the frustration will make you blow the whole program, just what you do not want.
  • THANK YOU ALL! I'LL START EATING MORE AND CONTINUE EXERCISING AND I'LL GET BACK TO YOU AT THE END OF THE MONTH WITH MY RESULTS! :flowerforyou:
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    With that much exercise, you need to be NETTING 1200 calories....which means eating around 2000 cals a day. Otherwise your body will start holding on to every single calorie, every single gram of fat...because it knows that you're not eating enough to support your lifestyle! Perhaps dial back just a bit on the exercise and eat just a little bit more, and wait another week or two to weigh in, and I guarantee you will see a difference! :)
  • erg2013
    erg2013 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment above about you not eating enough and losing water weight initially.
    Don't be a slave to the scale.
  • THANK YOU LADIES... I'LL DO WHAT YOU SAY....