Healthy meals on a budget

Options
Any recipes/meal ideas using healthy foods that are cheap? My family is on a tight budget and I am trying to lose about 30lbs. I eat a ton of salad, tuna, wheat bread, eggs, (cheap yet healthy stuff)etc. Just need new ideas on how to spice them up for something new.

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Make your own pinto beans with onions and garlic and such in them. Any other beans and lentils as well. Buy in bulk when you can. Brown rice is a good go to... bananas are relatively cheap. Chicken thighs are usually around $2/lb and other meats are often on sale. Buy them when they are on sale...
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I always make big pot meals to keep for a week so these would probably feed your family for a day or two

> 1 cup bulgar/brown rice/etc
    > 1 tin of canned tomatoes
    > 3 cups of peppers (I use anaheim)
    > 8 oz stew meat/chicken/pork cubed
    > 1 med onion
    > 2 cups shredded cabbage
    > 1 cup mushrooms
    > tbsp garlic
    > taco seasoning

Cook garlic a bit, then add the meat, cook until meat is done, then remove it for nkw. Add the veg to the pan, cook and stir lightly 5mins or so. Add the meat back in, 1/2 packet of taco seasoning, water appropriate, rice/bulgar, and tinned tomatoes. Let cook covered for 10mins or so, then turn the heat off and let the grain rest a bit to absorb all the liquid.

Serve with a bit of cheese on top, sour cream if you like. Tastes like an enchilada. Really good on a baked potato for leftovers. Made mine reaaaaally spicy though.

Otherwise beans are super cheap.

> 1 cup black beans
    > 1 cup pinto beans
    > 1 large onion
    > 3 cups cabbage
    > 4oz ham

I use that as a base for soup, then add diff things like tinned tomatoes, or mushrooms/celery, whatever needs to be used up in my fridge. Beans are really low cal and filling. You could make a big pot and a family of four could all have seconds for 500cal each max, likely.

Beans and bulgar save my budget. And carrots/onions/cabbage/potatoes. Apples and bananas for fruits. Milk/butter/sugar/flour/etc for dairy and sweets/baked goods. I don't buy chips/cookies/etc... shop at Aldi's mostly, yeah. It's an adjustment but I know all those things I dont buy don't taste as good as something I can make. And I have at least one day to mass cook and freeze food for the week.
  • jenniferlynn2477
    jenniferlynn2477 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Buy winter squash and cook it in the oven and make a soup out of it.
    Watch your grocery ads and focus on what produce or lean meats are on sale. Our local grocery store had pork loin 1.98/pound and at 130 claories per 4 ounces that is perfect.
  • joanneg572
    joanneg572 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Here is a great website for healthy recipes on a budget.
    She even calculates cost/serving!
    BUDGET BYTES
    http://budgetbytes.blogspot.ca/
    Jo
  • roozielynne
    roozielynne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Check out pinterest. They have tons of healthy meal ideas and budget meal ideas on there. I get tons of great recipes from it!
  • Bekah
    Bekah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I really don't have any meals for a budget but I have been trying to cut processed food out of my diet and do find living in Maine it is hard to get fruits and veggies during the off seasons but at our sams club they do have great prices on fruits and veggies. I can get a good amount of stuuf for right around 75 dollars give or take and if preped and and stored well will last me 1 1/2 to 2 weeks I get everything from avocado to eggs to bag salad for busy days.
  • Bekah
    Bekah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    yes pinterest is wonderful
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wheat is not really healthy, not even whole wheat. One good indication is that so many people can not tolerate it.
    Dried beans, brown rice, and fresh and frozen vegetables.
    Once you get the processed foods out of the house, you will get rid of a lot of toxins and feel healthier.

I just wash, boil the beans for an hour and put on salads, mash and put on rice tortilla

Just recently I have been experimenting with making my own veggie burgers. I dislike the bought ones.
    I mash beans, add onion and garlic powder, sage and thyme and make little meatballs, broil about 10 min.
    They taste like stuffing, but no wheat that cause intestional problems.

Use different color beans and substitute in any recipe with meat. Yesterday I overate on those bean balls and lost weight.

Oh, and FISH, not tuna. Big fish eat many little fish and accumulate mercury poisons, plus the cans have BHP? more poison.
    Besides tuna is not cheap. Figure out the cost per pound, using "net" weight on can, and fresh fish is cheaper.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Beans!

I occasionally use lentils instead of meat to make taco salad.
    Pinto beans served with polenta broiled with garlic and Parmesan.
    Refried beans on polenta slices, topped with salsa and cheddar and placed in the broiler until the cheese bubbles.
    Three bean salad (one can each kidney, green and garbanzo beans, drizzle with oil and balsamic vinegar. Salt, pepper and onion to taste)

And today, I am going to attempt what I am calling Hawaiian navy beans - beans, ham and pineapple.
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I always make big pot meals to keep for a week so these would probably feed your family for a day or two

> 1 cup bulgar/brown rice/etc
    > 1 tin of canned tomatoes
    > 3 cups of peppers (I use anaheim)
    > 8 oz stew meat/chicken/pork cubed
    > 1 med onion
    > 2 cups shredded cabbage
    > 1 cup mushrooms
    > tbsp garlic
    > taco seasoning

Cook garlic a bit, then add the meat, cook until meat is done, then remove it for nkw. Add the veg to the pan, cook and stir lightly 5mins or so. Add the meat back in, 1/2 packet of taco seasoning, water appropriate, rice/bulgar, and tinned tomatoes. Let cook covered for 10mins or so, then turn the heat off and let the grain rest a bit to absorb all the liquid.

Serve with a bit of cheese on top, sour cream if you like. Tastes like an enchilada. Really good on a baked potato for leftovers. Made mine reaaaaally spicy though.

Otherwise beans are super cheap.

> 1 cup black beans
    > 1 cup pinto beans
    > 1 large onion
    > 3 cups cabbage
    > 4oz ham

I use that as a base for soup, then add diff things like tinned tomatoes, or mushrooms/celery, whatever needs to be used up in my fridge. Beans are really low cal and filling. You could make a big pot and a family of four could all have seconds for 500cal each max, likely.

Beans and bulgar save my budget. And carrots/onions/cabbage/potatoes. Apples and bananas for fruits. Milk/butter/sugar/flour/etc for dairy and sweets/baked goods. I don't buy chips/cookies/etc... shop at Aldi's mostly, yeah. It's an adjustment but I know all those things I dont buy don't taste as good as something I can make. And I have at least one day to mass cook and freeze food for the week.

I found a great mix of spices that tastes like taco seasoning mix, but without all the weird "extras" and unpronounceable ingredients in the pouch taco seasoning. Take one tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2-1 tsp chili flakes (depending on spice level) and 1/2-1 tsp chili powder (again, depending on spice level). Mix and sprinkle with pride!

A recipe I use that in that also makes a lot to keep for the week is:

1) In a med-hot pan add 1 tbsp olive oil, then cook 1 lb ground turkey/chicken/other lean meat of your choice.

2) Once cooked, add spice mix mentioned above with 1 cup diced onion and cook until onion is tender.

3) After onion is tender, add 3 cloves minced garlic, cook for one minute.

4) Next, add 1 14oz can of tomato sauce, 1 14oz can of a bean of your choice (I like black or kidney beans) and about 1 cup of corn kernels.

5) Cook for another few minutes until heated through, serve and enjoy! Can be great with cheese grated on top.

This meal is REALLY filling, and the amount listed above makes 4 portions. Made with Extra Lean Ground Turkey, this recipe is 350 calories, 37g of carbs, 10g of fat and 30g of protein.

If you're limiting carb intake, most of the carbs in this recipe are from the corn and beans, so feel free to replace with peppers, zucchini, etc.

Hope that helps!
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I strongly encourage you to spend $10-20 on a rice cooker and start purchasing brown rice in bulk (I mix jasmine rice into my brown rice but that's a personal preference) the money you save on rice will easily pay for the machine and it's much healthier (and cheaper) than pasta.

You can also use most rice cookers to jump start cooking dried beans which are another inexpensive and healthy option.

Depending on where you live you should also check out the farmer's market. If you live in a more urban area sometimes it's cheaper to get fresh produce on the grocery store but if you live in a rural area farmer's markets are often much cheaper.

Also be sure to stock up on frozen vegetables when they're on sale.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Here's a great site with some inspiration:
    http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/

I hope you find some posts helpful!
  • TimeForMe99
    Options
    Roasted whole chicken
    Shrimp (frozen two lb bag is $7.00 on sale, compared to canned tuna at $3.20 per lb)
    Beans, lentils, grains

Try the $10 Dollar Dinners from Melissa D'Arabian. They all serve 4 and the price point includes entree and two sides. The Game Day Chili is under 400 calories and costs around $1.25 per serving (http://www.melissadarabian.net/#recipes/game-day-chili/).