Figure Competition

Options
Hello Everyone! My name is Rose...I would like to know have anyone every did figure competition? If so, what made you do it and how did you begin to a figure competition? Did you hire a trainer (coach) and how did you change your eating habit? Its ok if you add alittle more detail...

My goal this year is to do a figure competiton.... I have met with a trainer who saw my pics in a babysuit and said I can get there I need to train 6 days a week and a solid diet and that i could shoot for a show in November which I don't mind. Also, she mention I have a good shape to build on so its donable..and that I need to build muscle and decrease fat considerably.

After all this being said made me alittle nervous because I don't want to fail along the way..I understand people that have done this has put alot of money into this. But knowing my body is going to be transform I am happy, its better than having plastic surgery.

If you can and if that person that have postive things to say to encourage me please I need to hear from you...

Thank you

Replies

• Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I am preparing for one this fall as well. Hopefully I will be ready. I train 7 days a week, different body part everyday, and I eat clean (except a little messy now bc I am on a bulk)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I competed in 2012. My before and after pics are in my profile, its as about 5-6 months prep.

What made me do it? A lot of people over the years always mentioned to me about doing it, I don't know why. Then, my cousin wanted to and wanted someone to do it with her. I had a co-worker who was in to it along with his wife and made the mistake of mentioning her suggestion that I do it. He was super motivational and encouraged me to do it, so I did. My cousin never even started. LOL. I also did it as a challenge to myself, to push my comfort zone.

I had a coach. She put together meal and workout plans. I did them myself. She was at the gym so I could as for help if I was unfamiliar or had questions, but she didn't work out with me. She also coached us (there were several of us from the gym) on posing and other stuff. IMO, I could not have done it without a coach. Then again, I am a direction follower, give me a program and I follow it.

Yes, I changed my eating habits A LOT. Most of it has stuck. It actually really helped me get away from junk foods, although I still eat it in moderation now but not like I used to and I don't crave it like I used to. I basically at oatmeal, eggs/eggwhites, lean meat (with red meat twice a week), white fish (with salmon twice a week), sweet potato, brown rice, and tons of veggies, plus protein powder.

It wasn't easy. My life was gym, eat, sleep and work, with food prep thrown in. I luckily had a super supportive husband who did a ton to help me out. I was up to about 3 hours a day in the last weeks before competition. Oddly enough, the prep was my favourite part. I liked the challenge but I did have bad days.

Now on to the other part. Here is a topic I wish I read before starting.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130738983
    I am not discouraging you from doing it, but honestly, I wasn't where I wanted to be when I stepped on stage. I think this topic was dead on. If your goal is just to get on stage, you can most likely do it.

My other suggestion would be to really get to know your trainer and their methods. Make sure you are comfortable with what they are. My trainer had me dehydrate for the show. Its something I would not do again, not to the extreme.

Also, I really struggled after the competition. I learned that is not uncommon. For a long time I had no perspective on how I looked. If you think that once you have stepped on stage that you will keep the body you have, not necessarily. Many women put on a ton of weight after the show. You have to work to maintain, and its much harder if you have a coach that has you on more of a crash diet.

Again, I am not trying to be negative, just giving you my perspective.

I debated on doing it again this year, however, I didn't work as hard as I should have throughout the year, then I was off the gym from September to about November (I got married, then had a 3 week honeymoon, then struggled to get back into the swing) . I just wasn't ready to start prep in time. I am kicking myself a little that I didn't.

ETA -
    there is a group on here that you may get some more feedback
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/151-fitness-competitions
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Its taken me about a year to build the muscle I have now, and at least 6 months to a year to get to where I want to be for a competition.
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    Good luck to you on your goals. I have never done it, but my hairdresser did it. I would say that she was 5'5" and about 130 lbs before she started doing it. She is naturally curvy. She decided to do it because a fellow hairdresser did it. I would talk to her about it a lot. I saw her go down to a size 0 right before a competition, and she really got in great shape. She did develop some great food and workout habits, too. But, she looks closer to the way she did before she started training now.

She always felt that she could never get her body just perfect. She worked out 6 days a week. She paid a personal trainer who trained 5 or 6 other girls at the same time. They all went together in the morning from 5:30 until 7AM. Then, she worked out at night -- maybe cardio and/or something else. I know that she ate really clean, too. And, for a couple of weeks or so before the competition, she had to water deplete.

She showed me pictures of herself in her bikini, and she looked amazing; however, I think it has been hard for her to maintain that level of fitness. She still works out a lot, but her perspective is that when you go back to eating normal -- like pancakes and whatever else you might normally eat, your body goes back to the way it was.
  • Mrsburris40
    Mrsburris40 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Heyyy Rose we have talked about this so I do not have a ton to say but I wanted to say 3dogsrunning has made a lot of great points she laid it all out from the high to the low and I agree with her.... I am in contest prep mode right now and today is a high day but hang on tomorrow might be something etc....:laugh: I would say go for it lay all your cards on the table and throw yourself into it 110% because your prep could lead to a life long love for the sport it is an amazing world... SO GO FOR IT....:flowerforyou: