Challenges between Lunch and Dinner

Options
Hey friends,
I am bound to find out how to beat this challenging time of the day. I find that often times I do great with my eating until about 3 pm. At 3 pm I have my snack which is generally some cheese and crackers, popcorn, a granola bar, etc. and then maybe some fruit, etc. But then around 5 I get a little hungry, but hold off until dinner at 6 pm, and then at dinner and after dinner I run into the rut and I end up not eating as healthy as I would like.

Does anyone else run into this problem? Help me, please!

Replies

• stevetee123
    stevetee123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I normally get famished at about 3PM. I actually try to eat a small meal then... ie, cold chicken breast, lots of veggies, and try to keep it at about 250 calories, tops. This makes all the difference come dinner time at 7PM, when I also want a glass of wine or a beer.

So, with a budget of 1630 calories a day (losing 2+ lbs a week), I have 250-300 for breakfast, 300 for lunch, 300 for afternoon snack and then dinner at 600 cals... and a bit to spare in case I want a 100 calorie SlimFast snack bar or half a protein bar or an apple or two somewhere in there!

Works for me, and I am almost never hungry... and losing 2-3 lbs a week.

Best of luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I accept that i get most hungry late afternoon and early evening. So, everyday i have a latte late afternoon that i so enjoy and it curbs my appetite. I also plan for snacks. The strategy works for me. Instead of trying to not eat at that time..i just plan for it.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    What about a protein bar? I find that fills me up.
  • RunningTowardsFit
    Options
    Those are great suggestions. Thank you for the ideas!
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    trick your mind into thinking you are eating a lot. find low calorie foods you can add to things. green veggies. 10 calorie jello? then make sure to eat some type of carb and protein the curb the appetite. i have the same problem too.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    NUTS!!! it's all about nuts for snacking!!!

Oats are great also! very filling.
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Coffee is my "weapon". I drink a cup around 3. I drink two a day (one in the morning and one at 3). It's a great appetite suppressant for me.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I drink water with Mio (either the regular Mio or the Mio energy) while I cook so I don't snack. If you feel hungry drink water, sometimes it's just your body telling you you're thirsty not hungry.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? Perhaps it is too low. I save most of my calories for later in the day.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure I understand how this is happening. Is it that you're so hungry by 6 pm that you decide to cook something heavier and less healthy? Or you stick to your original plan but eat more than you should? Or do you not cook at all and make worse choices when ordering carryout? If you have a plan for what you're making for dinner that night, and don't keep snacks accessible, it should be hard to deviate. You may also want to eat two afternoon snacks (I usually do this) or try to slide lunch a little later.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    My afternoon snack is 1/2 of a OroWheat double fiber english muffin (60 cal) and 1 Laughing Cow cheese wedge (35 cal). The fiber fills me up and these cheese makes me feel rewarded and spoiled, because I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CHEESE - it is my down fall. At 95 cals for a snack, I can even afford to double up on the snack if I need to.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a pre portioned bag of nuts or a greek yogurt around 4 pm to keep me going until dinner. If I do find myself getting hungry before dinner, I try to find something to take my mind off it. Read a book, take a walk, play a computer game. My daily budget right now is around 2100 calories (I'm at 353 pounds) but steadily going down. I try to budget around 400 for breakfast and lunch, 500-600 for dinner and 400 for snacks. good luck with your journey!!