Fitbit and MFP--

Options
I was hoping you can help me under stand the adjustment Fitbit makes-- This is my scenario:

I exercised for any hour with Fitbit on, and then sync fitbit I am not logging anything into Fitbit, I am logging only on MFP. I was advised if I enter the time I do the exercise and for how long it will not double but I have to be sure to enter time accurately otherwise I it screws up--
. I see the adjustment fitbit added to mfp in my exercise section however-- I want to see actual exercise so I log in diary of mfp--- this increases the extra calories even more than the adjustment fitbit made-- I am not sure if I am right in doing this? Am I doubling the exercise calories?

Appreciate your responses

Replies

• jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If you put it in MFP then you're double counting. Log it in MFP or via your Fitbit, not both.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything in the Fitbit app, I do all the logging in MFP and I've never had a problem with the 'doubling up' you seem to be seeing. I got this advice from another forum here, I think.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    MFP has a time for logged exercises when fitbit link is added. At some point fitbit will correct its automatic posting. If you're manually entering on both sites, you might have a problem. I manually log on MFP and let fitbit automatically update. As long as te time zones are set the same, fitbit is working great.
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I use a Polar HRM and digifit, which links to fitbit which links to MFP. I don't know that I fully understand it either. I work out and my data is sync'ed to Fitbit. Then, I log my exercise, and the Fitbit adjustments either adds or subtracts some calories. I don't know if it has some logic to say that we didn't really work that hard doing exercise because we were in the pre-warmup zone and subtract those cals or if it shows that we were in anaerobic/VO2Max for a long time and adds a couple of cals?
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Don't enter it on both. I personally have found that entering my exercise on Fitbit's website has been the easiest when it comes to the information crossing over correctly. As the above post said, if you enter it on both sites, it will double log it.
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I take off my fitbit and use a heart rate monitor. But you are double counting calories.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You should always enter your workouts on MFP, not fitbit. MFP has you enter the start time for each exercise. When you do this, it syncs with fitbit and auto adjusts any difference between what fitbit is giving you so it's not duplicating entries. When you enter via MFP, it will show as an activity on your fitbit dashboard when it syncs. Hope this helped!

Faithful fitbit wearer :)

BTW I too wear a Garmin HRM so I have an accurate cal burn to enter but I do keep my fitbit on as well because I love to have a history of my steps during my runs so I can see how I improve, decrease, etc. Helps me know if my stride is consistent. And wearing both is not an issue because when you log into MFP it blocks that time out on fitbit.

LOL one last edit.... I think. ;) There is a great forum for fitbit users on here and there are great tips (some will lead astray). Worth joining and reading through the topics.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, you log food on MFP and exercise on Fitbit. :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/443853-welcome-to-the-fitbit-users-group-and-how-to-get-started (see highlighted paragraph) Hope this helps.
  • Joobster
    Joobster Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    that's how I do it
  • stacyb99
    stacyb99 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am not logging anything into Fitbit, I am logging only on MFP. I was advised if I enter the time I do the exercise and for how long it will not double but I have to be sure to enter time accurately otherwise I it screwsa up--.
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You should always enter your workouts on MFP, not fitbit. MFP has you enter the start time for each exercise. When you do this, it syncs with fitbit and auto adjusts any difference between what fitbit is giving you so it's not duplicating entries. When you enter via MFP, it will show as an activity on your fitbit dashboard when it syncs. Hope this helped!

Faithful fitbit wearer :)

BTW I too wear a Garmin HRM so I have an accurate cal burn to enter but I do keep my fitbit on as well because I love to have a history of my steps during my runs so I can see how I improve, decrease, etc. Helps me know if my stride is consistent. And wearing both is not an issue because when you log into MFP it blocks that time out on fitbit.

I do the this ^^^ and have never had any issues duplicating. I just adjust in MFP to reflect what exercises I had completed.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am not logging anything into Fitbit, I am logging only on MFP. I was advised if I enter the time I do the exercise and for how long it will not double but I have to be sure to enter time accurately otherwise I it screwsa up--.

You're doing it just right then. :)
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options

You're doing it just right then. :)

This is what I do too and and works perfectly. One thing I did find yesterday - I accidentally put in 226 for calories burned (based on HRM), and later changed it to the correct 246. It was not corrected on the fitbit dashboard - it was counted twice! Had me all excited at the calories burned according to fitbit I just had to delete the first entry and it was fine, but I am so glad I checked before having that extra snack!! :tongue:
  • stacyb99
    Options
    I guess the way I originally poised my question made it sound like i actually enter it into Fitbit-- I dont. I only manual enter into MFP and I make sure to enter the acccurate time and exercise to ensure I dont double calories. Yesterday I walked 45 minutes as well as did Slim in 6 Ramp it Up, let say MFP said I burned 600 calories, Fitbit credited 1500 calories-- I know this is off---- but based on what I was advised to do and from what you are sharing-- I am doing it right-- was yesterday just a total screw up on MFP???? Today I did Slim in 6, entered in accurate time and MFP gave me 368 caloried, Fitbit adjusted -9 calories-- clearly something is out of sync-- has this ever happened to anyone?
  • stacyb99
    Options
    so it sounds like maybe others had issue with this yesterday too?
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    When I do a specific workout, I record it with FitBit - then manual log it into MFP when I'm done. The sync process lets MFP know I did burn some cals, but my HRM doesn't like the numbers FitBit uses so when I manually log it in MFP I adjust to the HRM numbers. The calories burned (FitBit adjustment numbers) double up for a moment until the next "sync pulse" (for lack of a better way to phrase it,) then MFP syncs backwards to FitBit exercise and modifies the calories burned for me.

Everything looks fine on my side. If that isn't how it's supposed to work then let's not fix it. I like it this way =P