Help for oatmeal haters

Options
Hi. I am Mary Anne, and I am an oatmeal hater. There, I said it. I'm a Malto meal or Cream of Wheat type of gal. But, for the sake of health and fiber, I've been trying to choke down oatmeal. Some days I gag, others I'm ok. I feel like I just stepped off the short bus here, but I found that if I grind it up in my smoothie machine with half a frozen banana, low fat milk, protein powder and some vanilla, it's awesome! I'm sure there are a million recipes, add some berries, flax seed, etc. But for me, this was incredible, and if I can help my fellow oatmeal haters out there, this is what MyFitnessPal is for.

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am Mary Anne, and I am an oatmeal hater. There, I said it. I'm a Malto meal or Cream of Wheat type of gal. But, for the sake of health and fiber, I've been trying to choke down oatmeal. Some days I gag, others I'm ok. I feel like I just stepped off the short bus here, but I found that if I grind it up in my smoothie machine with half a frozen banana, low fat milk, protein powder and some vanilla, it's awesome! I'm sure there are a million recipes, add some berries, flax seed, etc. But for me, this was incredible, and if I can help my fellow oatmeal haters out there, this is what MyFitnessPal is for.

i hate it too. i stopped forcing myself to eat it. i found something more palatable instead.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    If you want to give it one more chance, for the sake of hot cereal and the benefits of oats, try Oat Bran cereal. I don't like regular rolled oats, and I don't have the patience for steel cut oats, but oat bran takes two minutes from scratch and isn't slimy like rolled oats. It's similar in texture to Malt-O-Meal. I think you'd like it....right next to the Malt-O-meal on the shelf....any brand will do - they're all the same...I buy Hodgson's Mill - about $3.
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    If you want to give it one more chance, for the sake of hot cereal and the benefits of oats, try Oat Bran cereal. I don't like regular rolled oats, and I don't have the patience for steel cut oats, but oat bran takes two minutes from scratch and isn't slimy like rolled oats. It's similar in texture to Malt-O-Meal. I think you'd like it....right next to the Malt-O-meal on the shelf....any brand will do - they're all the same...I buy Hodgson's Mill - about $3.

Thanks! I'll look for it. I couldn't believe how good it was raw, in the smoothie. But some days, you just need something hot. : )
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options

Thanks! I'll look for it. I couldn't believe how good it was raw, in the smoothie. But some days, you just need something hot. : )

You're welcome...I've combined it with malto meal, too. It's good that way, too. And it's really fine grained, so it would work well in the smoothie still.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I always make my oatmeal with a banana, vanilla and cinnamon whipped in, and then topped with a scoop of peanut butter. Sometimes I add other fruit (strawberries, peaches, raisins, etc). It's heavenly.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

If you hate oatmeal, then don't eat it. There's no rule that says you *have* to eat it. But if you find a way that you *do* enjoy it, that's good too. I can only eat it baked. I hate the mushy texture. So sometimes I make baked oatmeal with peanut butter and brown sugar, with some hemp hearts thrown in for good measure. :bigsmile:

ETA: FTR, I hate Malto Meal and Cream of Wheat too. I like to chew my food. :laugh:
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I love my oatmeal when I make it like this: 50 g rolled oats, 25 g sultana's, 250 ml (1 cup) milk, add a generous dash of cinnamon and cook until done. That would be in approx. 5 minutes. The sultana's give this recipe so much sweetness, that additional sugar really isn't necessary!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Don't want to sound dumb, what is sultana?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Eating should be a pleasure, if you really hate something don't eat it. There are always alternatives. :drinker:
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    overnight oats in a jar
    mix it up in your favorite way
    find what you like
    it was my key to oatmeal love
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/skinny-overnight-oats-in-jar.html
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options

sul·tan·a

Noun

1.A small, light brown, seedless raisin used in foods such as puddings and cakes.
    2.A wife or concubine of a sultan.

The concubine has more calories but is a lot higher in protein :smile:
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal but tried steel cut oats for the first time recently and LOVED them. The texture is nothing like regular oatmeal it is grainy and not slimy. Might want to give it a try.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Raisins for us Americans!
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal with real maple syrup - Yum! The real stuff is more expensive but worth it!

A fellow MFPer suggested mixing oatmeal with egg white, then cooking the two together. I've tried it and it's surprisingly good!

There are also recipes for meat loaf, muffins, and other foods that incorporate oatmeal, if you want to have it in your diet but don't want to taste it.
  • beautsarah
    beautsarah Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When you add warm peaches to the maple and brown sugar oatmeal it taste like peach cobbler, and it is so good!
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    But, for the sake of health and fiber, I've been trying to choke down oatmeal.

THIS is why I've been trying to eat it. I was just trying to share with others who might not like it as well, another option to try.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There are MUCH better sources of fiber in the world, than adding oatmeal to a milkshake...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    For the sake of health and sanity, stop trying to "choke down" food you don't like.
  • tatyajansen
    tatyajansen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You could try making granola with it. But honestly, there are many better sources of fiber.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/09/easy-pumpkin-spiced-granola.html