Almost feel like giving up.

Options
Contrary to what my ticker says ( I messed up on my starting weight and MFP wont let me change it), I don't think I've lost any weight. And my measurements have not moved.
I have went from eating and binging many calories a day to now anywhere between 1,300 - 1,500 calories a day for the past 2 1/2 weeks. I was hoping I would lose a pound a day, or even maybe half a pound! Anything!
I am pretty sedentary, I wake up, I eat breakfast and digest then do 30 day shred, then walk or bikeride my dog for about 20 minutes.
Every 2 - 3 days I go to the gym for an hour, but lately i havent been able to get to it. Other than that Im usually sitting down.
What am I doing wrong? I know I have a bit of junky food in my diary, but this is a major turn around from how I use to eat.
Changing what I eat has even made me physically ill for awhile, im just recovering. Its just frustrating to put in so much work with no results -- yes, it hasnt been a long time, but so many people brag that theyve lost this many pounds this week just by changing this or that, and Im trying to do it all and failing.
If i amped up my exercise would that help? or would i have to eat more.

Replies

• AshyyMM
    AshyyMM Posts: 131
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you... though since having phone/internet problems I was just tracking my calories with paper and pen lol..but regardless I was eating around the same amount of calories that MFP has suggested on top of exercise.. I havent lost anything since the beginning of the year..worse, I put on weight!!.. There are days, I'm done and just want to give up--and others I just want to figure it out because I don't like the person looking back at me in the mirror... I use this and teambeachbody...they both give me similar amounts of calories...so I dont know if I'm eating too much..or not doing enough exercise... sure wish this were a bit easier so that I could stay motivated!!...my first 20ish off were a joke..the resy of it is brutally hard to get rid of...
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I am also one of those people who have the pleasant realization to want to lose weight for a trip. So there is a timeline on it.
    Don't get me wrong, I want to make this change for the rest of my life, but for right now ... I only have 5 months to lost 20lbs or so. And you're right, it's just not going the way we want.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I've been gaining and losing the same 3 pounds for nearly 2 months now. I'm going to hang in there and keep working with it, though. I know that my body has been in fat storage mode for at least a decade. I think it's having a hard time switching over to fat burning mode. I don't know if it will ever make the switch, but at least I don't feel like a glutton anymore - huge accomplishment, so giving up is not an option.
  • Makoce
    Options
    That sounds so frustrating. I give you credit for sticking with it.
    I just loved binge eating so much and not having to worry about my weight or what I ate, and I only did this to get healthier and see results. So when you have a borderline eating disorder like I do, it's hard to stay motivated and fight off the screaming in your head when you're not seeing anything.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I always hated myself so much for binge eating, which was exactly the point. I realized that I was doing it on purpose because it was an excellent distraction from problems in my life that I have no control over (like son's drug use). I feel so much better about myself now, but so much worse about problems that I can't do anything about. Sigh ............. I can't win!
  • Makoce
    Options
    Yep! Pretty much. I binge for the same reason. Food makes me feel amazing when Im depressed.
    My weigh in is the 13th.... I hope I see some changes, I dont know how much stronger and patient I can be.
    It's not even wanting immediate results, it's wanting some recognition for your hard work. Half a pound, an inch, something. :(
  • rsjohnb
    rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    thats got to be frustrating, but you have got to stick with it. Do you use the forums much and have any MFP friends? I found this helped alot espesially when I had a bad week and put weight ON even though i'd been eating like a sparrow.

Good luck:smile:
  • Makoce
    Options
    I use the forums a lot to ask annoying questions, haha!
    But other than that I only have a few friends on the app itself.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been in this situation too although without the binging as it's constantly in my head that if I start I'll be in a worse situation than before which is enough for me. anyway. I eat the same cals as you. I recently hit a plateau and the for a week I did low sodium, less diet drinks, upped my water, no wine or beer, no white bread,rice or pasta. The scales have started moving again. Be patient and don't be affraid to change things about a bit until you find what works for you. You'll get there. Feel free to look at my diary and add me if you like.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Yep! Pretty much. I binge for the same reason. Food makes me feel amazing when Im depressed.
    My weigh in is the 13th.... I hope I see some changes, I dont know how much stronger and patient I can be.
    It's not even wanting immediate results, it's wanting some recognition for your hard work. Half a pound, an inch, something. :(

But doesn't exercise make you feel better when you're depressed, too? You walk or bike ride the dog for 20 minutes. Can you increase that to 50 minutes or more and really push the intensity? Why not run instead of walk? The dog will surely love it.

One other thing you can do is get the foods you binge on out of the house and find something else to do when you want to binge. At the very least if you decide you won't put up with not having a binge you'll have to leave the house to buy the food, and if you buy only what you're going to eat for that binge at least none will be left the next day.

Also certain foods trigger my urge to binge on other foods and negatively affect my mood. You say your mood is making you want to binge, but could it be that there are foods affecting your moods negatively and also triggering binge eating?

Edit to add if you do increase your work out be sure to add some more calories in because too big of a calorie deficit will definitely trigger a binge.
  • Makoce
    Options
    My dog currently has a leg injury she's recovering from.
    She can only go for short bursts of walking & bike riding at the moment :(

But it depends, sometimes exercise makes me feel angry??

Also. My family does the grocery shopping.
    They tell me to just to not look at the food and pretend its not there, because they refuse to stop buying things.

Thanks for the support and friend requests guys!
  • rsjohnb
    rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I use the forums a lot to ask annoying questions, haha!
    But other than that I only have a few friends on the app itself.

OK add me and we'll get this done together. i've got 30+lb to go so im not going anywhere soon.lol
  • Makoce
    Options
    Added!
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That sounds so frustrating. I give you credit for sticking with it.
    I just loved binge eating so much and not having to worry about my weight or what I ate, and I only did this to get healthier and see results. So when you have a borderline eating disorder like I do, it's hard to stay motivated and fight off the screaming in your head when you're not seeing anything.

I hear your frustration but here's how I see it. Your food diary looks pretty good, you have a nice balance of things there and don't appear to be under eating. You are logging your food. You are coming onto the forums and "asking annoying questions". You are weighing and measuring yourself. You are acknowledging your issues with binge eating. You have set a reasonable goal for yourself; losing 1 lb a week is completely attainable. Now you need to figure out a way to keep doing these things and just keep going.

Find some friends here, people who have been on the forum since before the New Year's resolution crowd. Read the success stories and see what other people have done. Take a break from the scale for a while and just concentrate on some other goals: "I want to exercise for 30 minutes 4 times this week." "I want to make sure I hit my calorie goals and macros every day this week". Do those things and give it a month. Then check in with not only what you weigh and what your measurements are but take account of how you *feel* after doing those things consistently.

You can do this. You are doing the right things. Just stick with it.
  • Makoce
    Options
    Bah!
    That really helps, nogoldilocs.
    Ive felt discouraged because Ive had one or two people say what I was eating was wrong.
    To hear I have a nice balance makes me really happy, and doing things right makes me feel like less of a failure.
  • PrinnyMartel
    PrinnyMartel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Stick with it!
    I was in the same boat for a while (and by a while, I mean years), just gaining and losing the same 2 lbs. It was frustrating as hell, but finally just buckled down and stuck to my calorie goal for about 2 more weeks and bam! 12 pounds down and an inch off my waist. It's not an instant effect; I think it takes your body a week or so to realize you're eating differently and adjust to that.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I been diverting much of my life, but startd here precisely 46 days ago... When I went on scales after a week, I had out on, despite exercising properly, reducing calories in a big way erx. I wanted to quit, my hubby didn't let!! To cut a long story short, I didn't go on scales for 3 weeks, I just dieted hard.... Then went on, and had lost 6lbs.... Which doesn't sound a lot perhaps, but I'm 5 7 and weighed 172 to start with!! I was ecstatic, and that weight loss has spurred me on! Plze don't give up, once u start losing u will be so much happier with urself and ur body.... And that has a direct impact on ur state of mind....

U can add me if u like...

Good luck hun, u got it

Xxx
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    My dog currently has a leg injury she's recovering from.
    She can only go for short bursts of walking & bike riding at the moment :(

But it depends, sometimes exercise makes me feel angry??

Also. My family does the grocery shopping.
    They tell me to just to not look at the food and pretend its not there, because they refuse to stop buying things.

Thanks for the support and friend requests guys!

Aww poor puppy. Well, you could run without the dog, too. It is rough when you don't have full choices over what foods are in the house, but my son has junk food here and I just don't eat it. That's his food, not mine.

As for exercise making you angry, hm. I can't relate. I might leave the house angry, but after beating the innocent pavement with my feet for awhile I get pretty happy.
  • Makoce
    Options
    Thanks guys, hopefully my body is just turning around and adjusting and Ill see progress soon!
  • Debbers10
    Debbers10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm re-posting something I just posted earlier today on another motivational discussion here on the boards & I hope that it helps encourage you and offers good suggestions to help you on your journey!! Please don't give up & don't get too discouraged! Hang in there!!!

I couldn't agree with you more! I have said this for a long time - that this is SUCH an emotional journey!! I have had many many ups and downs since starting this journey. Even with the progress I've made, I still have dark days. It's my nature to be terribly critical of myself and impatient!
    A couple things I can offer:
    1) DON'T GIVE UP! Just keep going! Keep working at it! Keep pushing yourself forward! If you stop now, you've lost all that you've already built on and you start at square one again.
    If you read my profile (which I have never updated since starting this journey), I started in a very uneduated place. Because of how I was exercising, I hit MANY plateaus and had MANY frustrating days wondering why I wasn't seeing more progress. In June of 2012, I signed up at a gym & with a personal trainer and it has made all the difference for me!! Sure, I had some progress on my own, but it wasn't until I started learning things at the gym that I have made the greatest improvements and progress.
    2) (& I think is most important) = be sure you are doing weight training! Lifting weights builds muscle which makes you burn more calories thereby making the most of the cardio you are trying to do to lose the fat! Do not be afraid of the weights or "bulking up" or something like that. And you can't just sit with the same weights over and over again - you have to push yourself forward into new weights. Our bodies adjust and adapt b/c it wants to stay in "survival" mode and retain fat --- so you need to "confuse" it by changing up routines, changing up cardio, changing up weights, etc.
    3) Try some HIIT (high intensity interval training). There's nothing more mundane than trying to stay on the stupid elliptical for 60 minutes! BORING!! Believe me - I've done this over the past year and it is the most difficult thing to stick to! I've recently adopted this HIIT to my cardio portion of my gym time and have seen equal or greater results in 20-30 minutes of work than the 60-minute marathons I used to do! Again, it's nothing more than pushing yourself, confusing your body, shaking up the workout to make the most of your time you're putting in!
    4) If you're on Facebook, check out the Ripped Goddess page! She posts fantastic motivational pics/stories, nutrition info, workout routines, exercise examples/education, etc etc etc! I've learned a ton from that page!

Oh - and, I don't know what your fitness/weight goal may be, but know that it most likely will change. Again, I started off on my journey very uneducated and I have now come to learn that the weight goal I originally set is not healthy nor "necessary". And I've replaced fat with muscle so it's not like i have anything more to "lose" on the scale, if that sort of makes sense? - i hope so! And I do not weigh myself very often at all. 1) B/c I know if it's a number I don't like, it puts me straight into one of those dark days and I get terribly frustrated with myself. 2) Your weight changes every day and throughout the day!! The very best measurement I've had is the ever-growing stack of clothes that no longer fit!! And, honestly, you visually see the changes! Just look back a few pics from just a few months ago! I'm telling you, you will see the differences already and THAT, MY FRIEND, HAS BEEN MY BEST MOTIVATOR!!! :) Plus makes me want to tear down the old ones and light a bonfire, but....I digress.... ;)

Hang in there. We all have dark days. And, yes, we're allowed to wallow in them, but only for a minute!! :) I've done it. More than a few times. :) But I climb back out of it b/c I know where I want to go, know that I can do it, believe fully in myself to learn and accomplish what I set out to do, and do NOT want to lose all that I've sacrificed and already put into it!!