Breakfast Questions

Options
Hi newbie here so apologies if this is not in the right place

I just wanted to ask about breakfasts - what do you all have and roughly how many calories do you spend on this part of the day ?

I eat breakfast at my desk - god forbid I'd spend anymore minutes awake in the morning than I need to !!

So I take 25g of rice krispies eat with semi skimmed milk and a cup of tea - then have a bananna or grapes about an hour after this

I can get toast or porridge from work canteen but if train goes late than that gets sidelined. The other thing with the porridge is I don't know if it is made with milk water or what so stay clear as too hard to calculate also it bizarrely made me even more hungry !!

I just feel I am not getting the best of nutrition and wasting cals

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i have 300-400 calories for breakfast in the morning.

what i have varies although some stuff ive had this past week include:
    1 egg, 2 egg whites, shredded cheese with skim milk and blueberries
    english muffin with peanut butter and a banana
    2 whole wheat waffles with skim milk and strawberries
    cliff bar and a banana
    kashi toasted oats cereal with skim milk and a banana

the general theme is fruit with my breakfast and some dairy if i can. i find that the morning that i have protein (cliff bar, eggs, peanut butter) i'm full much longer than i would be with a bowl of cereal, which keeps me full all of an hour.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    First off, I'd say stay away from anything that you don't know how it's prepared.

I'm a coffee addict, so I have at least 2 cups of coffee with my breakfast.

I really like the carnation instant breakfasts, but they don't stick with me as long as I would like. They're easy to make (just add skim or lowfat milk!) and portable, if you get the one's in individual packets.

Lately I've discovered that I'm more satisfied if I have fruit in the morning. SO I made an awesome fruit salad, and eat it mixed with 1/2 cup of Nancy's Honey Yogurt. It's about 200 cals all together (over half of that is the fruit, because I help myself to a lot of it!) and very low in fat. I don't skimp on fat when it comes to the Honey Yogurt because I know that fat is going to keep me satisfied longer than no fat. But instead of a whole serving (1 cup, and 8 grams of fat) I go for the half, or sometimes 3/4.

I hope this helps some!
  • spuddy512
    spuddy512 Posts: 4
    Options

cliff bar and a banana

the general theme is fruit with my breakfast and some dairy if i can. i find that the morning that i have protein (cliff bar, eggs, peanut butter) i'm full much longer than i would be with a bowl of cereal, which keeps me full all of an hour.

Trying to think what protein I could take into work and eat at desk as I agree it is much better for keeping me fuller for later - drawing blanks just now though

Those breakies give me great ideas for weekends though thanks
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is on the lighter side. I eat around 8:30-9am at my desk in the mornings and I have Trader Joe's Oatmeal Complete (extra fiber and such) and a cup of natural tea or chai. It's enough to get me to lunch, which is usually my largest meal of the day. If I'm hungry, I have a few small snacks at my desk to eat around 11am. It works for me, and I'm rarely hungry afterwards.
  • spuddy512
    spuddy512 Posts: 4
    Options
    First off, I'd say stay away from anything that you don't know how it's prepared.

I'm a coffee addict, so I have at least 2 cups of coffee with my breakfast.

I really like the carnation instant breakfasts, but they don't stick with me as long as I would like. They're easy to make (just add skim or lowfat milk!) and portable, if you get the one's in individual packets.

Lately I've discovered that I'm more satisfied if I have fruit in the morning. SO I made an awesome fruit salad, and eat it mixed with 1/2 cup of Nancy's Honey Yogurt. It's about 200 cals all together (over half of that is the fruit, because I help myself to a lot of it!) and very low in fat. I don't skimp on fat when it comes to the Honey Yogurt because I know that fat is going to keep me satisfied longer than no fat. But instead of a whole serving (1 cup, and 8 grams of fat) I go for the half, or sometimes 3/4.

I hope this helps some!

I can't work out how to reply to more than one at a time - doh

I can do fruit and yougart - never considered that - I am not sure how full it would keep me but I will give it a whirl
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what your daily calories are for your weight loss goal. Mine is 1200 cals daily without exercise so I would do 300, 300, 400 & 200 in 2 divided snacks. Of course any exercise cals burned, should also be eaten.

You seem to be on the right track, if you want to try something different this is what I eat for breakfast.

3/4 c Nature's Path Organic Flax Plus & I add a tbsp of golden raisins, hemp granola & chopped walnuts with 1/2 c. skim milk or 1/4 c skim & 1/4 c. Almond Breeze Original. This will carry me through quite a few hrs, whereas I find regular cereal falls short. The count on this is well under 300 cals before I add my morning coffee! You can get it with some of this stuff added already but I found it would all be at the bottom of the box & I wanted equal portions.

Good luck with your weight loss.

151232.png
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Options
    Hi

Your breakfast doesn't sound too bad esp. if you're at the start of your journey. Well done on a sensible start! I know it's hard, but try and eat a fair bit for breakfast as it elevates your metabolism and gives you the necessary fuel to start the day (after all - your body has been fasting for around 12 hours and is dehydrated and sluggish). Ideally, you should try and gun for around 400 if you can...

I try and eat a bit more than you are currently doing, 40g of special K or Bran Flakes, skimmed milk, a banana, dry wholemeal toast, at least a pint of water and some white tea if my schedule permits. Porridge is also a good idea, beans and yoghurt too. I'm not sure how many calories your allowance is, but it's better to use more calories on breakfast than to graze away any end-of-day remainder on sugary or salty snacks...

Anyway, it's a bit like the old adage, breakfast like a king, dine like a pauper.

Good luck!

ps you also burn much more fat if you exercise first thing in the morning
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It's my favourite and biggest meal, usually. I split breakfast into two, eating the first at home around 5:45am and the second at work around 7:45am. I usually have between 400-500 cals for breakfast. But... I'm on a 0.5lbs a week goal so I've got more calories to spread across the day now.

The one at home takes me about 5-10min to prepare for my family, but I do get up earlier to fit in the time to get it done. We usually have something with egg like: French toast, or omelette, or egg and english muffin, etc. Then I have oats or high-fibre cold cereal at work, depending on the season and how I feel. I've got a microwave in the kitchen at work, so I can warm/prepare the oats without a fuss :)

Oh, and coffee. Lots of coffee!

Hmm. For portable protein, I like yogurt or those babybel mini cheeses or cottage cheese. I've also pre-made breakfast wraps before, for days when I have to come into work early.

Hope you find something that works for you.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options

cliff bar and a banana

Trying to think what protein I could take into work and eat at desk as I agree it is much better for keeping me fuller for later - drawing blanks just now though

Those breakies give me great ideas for weekends though thanks

A boiled egg would be good protein and pretty portable. I know it's not the optimal breakfast form of an egg, but it'd still get ya there.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal sprinkled with walnuts for breakfast. It's filling and gets me to lunch.
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    it varies day to day and 4 morning a week i eat out and have breakfast around 9:30-10am mondays is a small omlette small amount beans and hash brown with a bread roll tuesdays is an egg mcmuffin mcdonalds wednesday is a scone or piece of cake thursdays i eat usually a slice of toast fri-sundays i usually eat scrambled egg no milk or butter my usual drink is mint tea but i will have the occaisional coffee and the calories vary between 300-450 and on most days im full until mid afternoon when i eat a light snack and a good meal at ttime
  • fonrouge82
    fonrouge82 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 hard-boiled eggs most mornings. I find if I eat carbs in the morning, I'm hungry before lunch. If I eat protein, I have no problem making it til lunchtime. I make them the night before and eat them cold. It's not the yummiest breakfast I've ever eaten...but not the worst either.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Since it takes me about an hour to get to work and I don't eat until then, I've been making a smoothie with my magic bullet.

Ice
    silk vanilla or 2% milk or almond milk - 1 cup
    1 heaping scoop of Chocolate Peanutbutter Swirl Spirutein powder (omg yum)
    baby spinach - as much as I can shove in there
    sometimes 1/2 banana if I'm out of spinach

I blend it up and it is really thick but by the time the hour goes by, the ice has melted and its a great smoothie. And it gets me through until lunch at 12.
  • Firefrog76
    Firefrog76 Posts: 45
    Options
    A lot of great breakfast ideas here to work with! I like 100 calorie sandwich thins (has fiber and some protein) with a schmear of natural peanut butter (more protein) and either a banana sliced on top or and an apple sliced with a sprinkle of raisins. Could make this at home and eat on the go, or pack the items and eat at your desk. Usually comes in about 300-400 calories and is fairly filling.
    If you want to feel full longer up your fiber along with the protein. So if you go witht he fruit and yogut option, srpinkle in some (about 1/4 cup) GrapeNuts cereal. That will add bulk, texture and leave you feeling a bit fuller.
  • MyDream
    MyDream Posts: 72
    Options
    Wow! You're getting some cool tips, I think I'll use some ideas too.

I find a little protein (mainly egg whites) and a good portion of oatmeal really keep me satisfied until lunch. The ideas about boiled eggs are helpful, and it doesn't take too long to make your own oatmeal at home, maybe you can put it in a plastic container and warm it up at work (if possible).

Good luck, you have a lot of helpful tips so I'm sure you'll find what will work for you.

Peace! :glasses:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I don't do well at eating breakfast, it is so easy for me to get out of the habit! When I am doing well, here are some meals I've found work for me. Many are portable since I used to have little time to sit and eat breakfast. Most I'd drink a glass of milk with unless I was already eating yogurt.

Eggo Nutrigrain waffle with 1 TBSP peanut butter
    Eggs (scrambled with onions or other vegetables on hand) or fried in 1 tsp olive oil with fresh fruit
    Smoothie (you could even throw some vegetables in there)
    Oatmeal (if you have access to a microwave at work you could heat up there)
    Banana or apple with peanut butter
    Homemade Egg McMuffin -- Whole Wheat English muffin with a slice of cheese and 1 egg fried in 1 tsp olive oil
    Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes (very portable if you don't put syrup on them!)

I do think that you are doing pretty well with breakfast. You could do a little healthier cereal (Cheerios or bran flakes with fruit) but what you are eating is certainly not the worst cereal out there!