diabetic

Options
I am diabetic and want to know what is a good goal to start with in terms of calories/day, protein/day, etc

Replies

• MrsEnglund
    Options
    I was just diagnosed recently with type 2, I am keeping a close watch on carbs more so then calories.. I sure could use some help.. I am getting tired of salads.. lol
  • jiggy66
    jiggy66 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am a type II diabetic who is very insulin resistant. Oral medications were not helping and since the birth of my child I have been on insulin. I was doing Atkins, which is extremely low-carb, but high fat and it was great on my blood sugars...they were even and steady and LOW....but I ended up gaining weight. In the last couple weeks I have restricted my carbs to less than 100g per day...sometimes more. The ADA (American Diabetes Association) will tell you to have anywhere from 45-60 for breakfast and lunch and then 60-75 at dinner..plus 15-20 at each snack (2x per day). That, for me, does not work. I would suggest you experiment with your body and see what works best for you. My doctor doesn't want me eating more than 2,000 calories a day, so as I try to stay in those limits I manage to limit my carbs regardless. I hope you find a number that works for you!
  • rsandler2
    Options
    Thanks! Its always a challenge for me.

I am trying to eat 145 carbs per day total.

1400 calories or so a day.

I need to get into a groove with it.

May try Atkins
  • Swethington00
    Options
    I have been doing this...

Breakfast - 45 carbs
    Lunch - 45 Carbs
    Dinner - 45 Carbs

2 snacks at 15-20 carbs total.

Depending on your ideal calorie intake I tried keeping it 200 below but always about 1250 cal/day.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have been eating between 1250 and 1300 cals a day....more on days I work out. I try very hard to keep my carbs under 100g a day and my sugar to 20g a day. The sugar is the MOST important for me....if I keep that down, my BS readings stay lower. The more protein, the better...keeps you feeling fuller and helps sustain your muscles.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and want to know what is a good goal to start with in terms of calories/day, protein/day, etc

I am a type 2 since 1996, with all the same issues. I found that losing 10% of your total weight will make a big difference. I am no longer on insulin or oral meds. My last A1c was 5.4. It is really tough to figure out what is going on in your body. Suggest that you stay in close touch with your Dr. test at least 4 times a day to start. Remember that just about anything you do will cause your numbers to change. Start with walking small amounts. Keep testing and really work for that 10% loss. Once that is gone go for 20. We lose weight slower that normal folks. If I can be of help feel free to ask me. It can be done but it takes more time. Remember YMMV (your mileage may vary).
    I use the numbers generated by MFP for calories. Approx 2000 per day. I changed my macros to 40 Protein, 30 Fat 30 Carb. This works for me so far.
  • MrsEnglund
    Options
    I try keep my carb under 60 per meal
  • MelissaG915
    MelissaG915 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    has your doctor recommended seeing a dietician? That worked for me.