Germany. What's not to miss?

Options
OutsideCreativ
OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
7 days in Germany this summer... what shouldn't I miss??

Replies

• Slimme79
    Options
    It depends on when and where exactly are you going?

I am from the south of Germany, so of course, the Octoberfest is always a must, but this is not starting until end of September...
    We have wonderful beergardens where you can bring your own food, and all our castle and historial places are well worth visiting..
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Agree with previous poster. It depends a lot on where you will be. I was stationed in Bavaria. I thought the salt mine at Berchtesgaden was very interesting. And there are castles all over the place.
  • bruningk78
    bruningk78 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lucky girl!! oh someday I would LOVE to visit Germany....Maybe I have some long lost relatives there lol
  • hulahup
    Options
    It depends on what you like. Do you like wine, Technik and Barroc Palaces? Denn south Germany and the Stuttgart Region ist beautifull, with wine near the Neckar River, Mecedes Benz and Porsche Museum in Stuttgart and Ludwigsburg Barroc Palace and barroc gartens, just like in Versailles. Three days hier are enough!
    Munich and Bayern are awesom, good beer and Munich is unglaublich! People are so friendly, and please take a seat on a Biergarten, and order a Beer: Hefeweizen with a heavy spicy touch, if you want to save calories order a Radler, Beer with lemonade (great!). Hier is also Neuschweinstein Palace, make by the crazy King von Bayern, Ludwig III? The amazing original "Disneyland Schloß"
    If you want city, history, amazing people and really flair: go to Berlin. Nothing more to say. Stay at Brandenburgertor and send me a Postcard. An pleas go to Friedrichshein: great people, great bistros: student alternative flair. If you are in Berlin, see it all and don´t miss a thing. Berlin-Postdam-Dresden ist a great combination for eight days.

OK. Viel Spaß in Deutschland!
    Have a great trip!

Hulahup
  • OutsideCreativ
    Options
    Will be second half of June. I'm chaperoning a school trip the week prior... then have 7 days to do whatever go wherever I want. :)
  • OutsideCreativ
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! My major interests are history, architecture, photography and food/beer. Looks like I have a lot of work to do.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    As said, it depends on where you're going, and also what you're interested in. I went to Munich years ago and was blown away by the churches and museums, but I'm interested in art and history. Oktoberfest was going on and I did a walk-through of that, but not really my scene so it wasn't all that thrilling. But the Alte Pinakothek (musuem) and Frauenkirche (cathedral) - amazing!
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    I went there in high school...on a class trip. We went to Munich first. The Hofbräuhaus was awesome!! I was 18 and could hit all the bars I wanted (our teachers/keepers just told us not to go overboard...they weren't there to babysit us). We also went to Baden-Württemberg (Black Forest), where they make cuckoo clocks...and are quite famous for them. We also hit Dachau and visited a remake of the concentration camps. It's really all about what you want to see. It is indeed a photographer's paradise!

We were on one of those european tours and hit Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Austria. L O V E D it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Concentration camp! It will change your life! I think the one I visited was Dachau. Also toured the castle: burg Hohenzollen and the black Forrest hiking, it's a beautiful little town where the worlds largest cuckoo clock is. Have a great time!
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Too much good beer and sausages!
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    We did Berlin which has lots of history but it gets dead at night. I did find a pizza joint under a bridge that was off the hook and a lot of fun! Big place. Also ask the water at any restaurant what is good and tell them to bring you what they like...you will be surprised!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    We did Berlin which has lots of history but it gets dead at night. I did find a pizza joint under a bridge that was off the hook and a lot of fun! Big place. Also ask the water at any restaurant what is good and tell them to bring you what they like...you will be surprised!

Berlin dead at night?!

If you are in southern Germany, Neuschwanstein castle is incredible and the surrounding country is beautiful. And Munich is easily one of the most beautiful cities in the world.