I've lost weight and now I'm cold all the time.. Help!

Options
So I started at 5'3" and 310lbs last February. I have always been a very warm person... like wearing- short -sleeves- in- the- Winter type person. I used to wear shorts around my house in the middle of January and have the heat set at 70. But NOW, I've lost 65lbs and I'm FREEZING!!!! I know I've lost a lot of "insulation" and I should expect to be a little colder than I was before... but does your body even out? Once I meet my goal weight, will I become warm again? Does the body have trouble regulating it's temp during weight loss? Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• fofipps
    fofipps Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Id like to know if anyone has an answer as well. I lost 40, and I am FREEZING. And I live in Wisconsin, so there is little hope to ever be warm!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have always been prone to being cold and staying tat way. But, it is worse since the weight loss. It is especially bad on workout days - post workout...I have no idea why.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Um yes !!! I have lost 128lb over the past year and I am freezing most of the time. I wear thermals and layer!!

Apparently it has something to do with red blood cells and how they are placed when you are very large.
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have always been a relatively small person and I'm always colder than those around me. The less fat and muscle you have on you, the less insulation you have. And the less you eat, the less you are burning all day, which also makes you colder. Strength training helped me become a little warmer, I am guessing because muscles provide an insulating layer and they also burn calories. But there is only so much you can do. You might have to turn up the thermostat in your home and start wearing more layers when you go out. It's generally normal for thinner people to feel colder than heavier people.
  • unchainedzulu
    unchainedzulu Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    oh, you know i've been feeling so hot here (the summer is amazing in NZ) and it made me wonder about body temperatures linked with weight. so thanks for your post.

for myself - a few years ago i learned Reiki, it's an energy healing technique. on cold nights i lay in bed and channel the energy and it warms me right up.

There is bound to be someone in your area that will teach it to you :)
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    LOL it's so ironic because I had a major sweating problem before the weight-loss but now am always cold like yourself. Am not going to complain though because sweating in public is much more embarrassing than being cold in public lol. Just wear long-johns or those under armor spandex heating material under your normal clothes.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with feeling cold (I've lost 52 pounds). But I have noticed that it is more of a problem if my net calories go below 1200 (which sometimes happens on my heavier exercise days). I'm assuming it comes from either an increase in body temperature that is a result of burning body fat and thus, one's "delta T" is higher (body temp is higher compared to "ambient" air temperature), and thus we feel colder. OR, if it is a continuous problem, it could mean that our metabolism has fallen off a bit (for example, people who are hypothyroid always complain of feeling cold). I notice that adding a bit more fat to the diet seems to make the problem go away (temporarily) for me. Don't know whether the additional fat has slightly boosted metabolism (which it does) or if it slows the fat burning and causes the body temp to go down slightly so that I don't FEEL as cold.

Here is Livestrong's suggestion on the problem:

"Consuming foods that take longer to digest may also help you feel warmer. The more active your body is, the more energy it is consuming that can result in added heat production. Fats require more energy to metabolize than carbohydrates. Your body will use nine calories for [metabolizing] each gram of fat versus four calories for each gram of carbohydrates. For added health value, you should concentrate on foods with lower saturated fat content such as poultry, turkey and lean cuts of beef. Tree nuts such as almonds, and peanuts will provide similar benefits."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/478023-diet-for-feeling-cold/#ixzz2KWp3J7AN
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Body adapts. Give it time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I'm always cold, always. Except when I'm actually exercising.
  • CountryStrongNicole
    Options
    I fight with being cold all the time... I am in Wisconsin also. I have been told it will eventually correct itself. How long that takes... not sure. I am guessing it is different for everyone. Fleece and long underwear have become some of my closest friends. :-)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Minnesota here.
    I have been wondering this myself and was going to ask this question too.
    Good to know I am not alone.......thanks for asking and the reply's.
  • losingweightatl
    Options
    LOL it's so ironic because I had a major sweating problem before the weight-loss but now am always cold like yourself. Am not going to complain though because sweating in public is much more embarrassing than being cold in public lol. Just wear long-johns or those under armor spandex heating material under your normal clothes.

I had/have a problem with sweating too.

When putting my groceries on the conveyer belt at the store I would break out in a sweat but last shopping trip I didn't! YAY

I agree that I rather be cold than sweating in public.

Wear layers and check with your doctor to make sure it isn't a serious problem.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I actually went to the doctor because I was freezing all the time and she told me that my body would adapt and learn how to reregulate body heat over time. She told me its very normal to have this problem! and that I should by some clothes to layer :)!
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Oh I hope you're right about the body adapting after a while, I'm getting so tired of wearing long johns all the time! I've always gotten cold easily,but I've never worn them 7 days a week like this before.
  • CLWitzke
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I've been wearing long pants and sweatshirts and covering up with blankets. I really I hope I adjust. If not, well, I'll buy more blankets. LOL
  • XXbrendaXX
    Options
    I have always been a very warm blooded person as well, but no longer! I have lost 93 lbs, but am still a good 50+ lbs overweight...which you would think would keep me warm, ha....but I am cold all the time now!