Quinoa Sensitivity - Need New Grains!

Options
porkchopz
porkchopz Posts: 77 Member
I am a big fan of quinoa. I like its nuttiness, its chewiness, and the fact that it can be eaten sweet or savory at ANY meal!

The problem? My body cannot digest the stuff!

I never used to rinse off the saponins, and it didn't seem to be a problem. I could eat as much quinoa as I wanted. The last few times, however, I've gotten a bad stomach ache after eating it, even after soaking and rinsing REPEATEDLY. Last night I couldn't sleep for about an hour because of the pain.

I want to try some new non-oat breakfast grains. I have not eaten wheatberries, barley or millet. What do you think of these? Anyone with quinoa allergy find these easier to digest?

Replies

• porkchopz
    Options
    Anyone? Bueller?
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I've used some barley that I had leftover from making tabouleh for breakfast before. It was tasty. Wheatberries are a bit larger and chewier, but could still probably be good. I say just play around and see what you like. Can you get these from bulk bins anywhere? That is usually what I try to do when I'm experimenting so I don't end up with a huge bag of something that I don't like.

Edit: Oops! I mean I used BULGAR, not barley for the tabouleh and later as a breakfast porridge. Barley would probably be tasty, though!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I do not have a quinoa allergy.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I've eaten barley in my soup before and love the texture of it. There are all sorts of recipes out there that use it.

I know the first time I ate quinoa I had the worst gas of my life. Sorry that is TMI but I was mortified. It just wouldnt stop. For hours. Now I will pour a bit in soup every once in a while but am afraid to go all out again for fear of that. It work me up at night even it was so bad.
  • porkchopz
    Options
    Thanks guys! Yes, I have access to bulk bins for pretty much any grain. I think I will just sample a bunch. I'm just nervous about getting sick off of them.
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You can try other ancient grains like millet, aramath, spelt or barley.

My BF is allergic to quinoa and violently vommits when he eats it :sick: ...and I love quinoa :sad:
  • porkchopz
    Options
    You can try other ancient grains like millet, aramath, spelt or barley.

My BF is allergic to quinoa and violently vommits when he eats it :sick: ...and I love quinoa :sad:

Does your boyfriend get sick off the other ancient grains?