Results without the gym

Options
Can you get true results with working out at home? When I say true results I mean weight loss and muscle tone???

Replies

• jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    yeah. exercising with intensity and progressive overload will produce results, gym or no gym.
  • EdwardBarrera
    Options
    Absolutely! Muscle tone is easily achieved when we consciously pay attention to how we move.
    The magic of weight loss is more about what you eat or don't eat and not about pushing more weights about.

The guys on my soccer teams don't like me 'cause I never go the gyms like they do, I never run to train, like some of them do. And I usually out run and run by most of them. ... and I don't need ibuprofen to manage the pains they keep getting either but that's another story.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    definitely , i do it often :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I've never set foot in a gym to workout in my life. No need to spend a lot of money on fancy machines and driving all over just to workout.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've never set foot in a gym to workout in my life. No need to spend a lot of money on fancy machines and driving all over just to workout.
    There is a need when you want to take your body to the next level ...
  • LdyPsych
    LdyPsych Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    YES YOU CAN! I sincerely, honestly, really have no time for the gym. But I work out 6 days a week at home. Those workouts are spread among these and other at home workouts....

...High intensity intervals (using the iPad app "seconds" I set up the intervals using my music and doing in place "sprints" or jacks for the high intensity), Leslie sansome's many walking at home DVDs (vary from 15 minutes miles to inervals with high intensity to 5 12-minute miles), dance aerobics (tammi web has one to rock and one to Motown that are fun), step aerobics (gin miller's DVD are good and a step at "play it again" type stores are inexpensive), Buns/abs/etc of steel by Tammi Web (weights), shapely girl DVD w circuits (aerobics/weights), various "the firm" workouts suchmas their circuit and weights workouts on giam tv (pay service, but only 10/mo) or on a purchased DVD ...... Etc. etc.

With some relatively inexpensive DVDs from amazon, a set of hand weights, a step, and a small area and a tv you can definitely get fit. I have in the past had a trainer weekly and I am every bit as fit now as i was then. Trainers and gyms are great for specific needs, but far from necessary for getting fit and losing weight! Rock on :glasses:
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Yes of course you can...if...your house has a squat rack, plenty of weights, barbell, bench....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes. What matters most is your level of commitment. Also depends on your definition of toned is.

But it sure does get you there faster if you go to the gym. I mean, I live in LA and I can get to Vegas without driving or flying. But it sure is easier if I use a car instead of walk.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You can set up a gym at home. I haven't set foot in a commercial gym in several years.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    If it's weight loss and muscle maintenance with an increase in real strength rather than visual growth necessarily, all you need is your own body, a pull-up bar and a whole load of motivation.

Check out either or both:

- You Are You Own Gym; training and reference book, website, app

- Convict Conditioning: training and reference book - also a great read in it's own right.

Google either of those for great progressive bodyweight exercises.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Can you get true results with working out at home? When I say true results I mean weight loss and muscle tone???
    The air in the gym has muscles in it so that's why it smells and that's why you can only get results there.</sarcasm>

In other news, most of the bigger guys I know have their own gym if they're trying to be smart money wise.

If you're asking if you can get ripped without weights, well, you can only go so far with body weight. The heavier you can lift, the more muscle you can get. - facts from puny girl who should lift more weight.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, I do own a barbell and dumbbells, but between a small calorie deficit, a little cardio and lifting weight, I'm starting to look pretty good.
  • lovelylittlegiggles
    Options
    yes, you can. I couldn't afford to go to the gym so I worked out to dvd's from the library. Later, I received a gift, a 2 year membership to a gym, only saw that place when I went to activate my membership. I was determined, so I worked out, did the weights and everything at home and lost weight, about 29lbs, and gained some great tone. The cellulite on my thighs was gone. My stomach was flatter. My arms and back were toned and looked good. So... yes you can do this at home without spending very much money. However, this time I will be going to the gym at least once a week to use my membership.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've got my own setup at work unit.
    Made a squat rack from some old wood I had.
    I already had a bar, but just got some weights with a bar which cost me £32. Basic bench can be bought or made for not much.

Of course, there's plenty of body weight exercises you can do too - however I am liking the starting strength and similar routines - relatively low amount of time needed for better results than I've had with other stuff, including programs set by gym personal training staff etc.
  • KilannaFit
    Options
    Yes I believe you can but it really depends on the results you want.

DVDs, Youtube and some weights at home can you so far. Weight lost can be done at home without a shadow of a doubt but if you are looking to build muscle and strenght then it might be harder?

I am happy with that for now doing the DB/Cardio work outs with DVDs but once I saved to buy my house I'll be back in the gym.

Personally what I miss from the gym is:

Huge spongy work out mats because the floor at home is hard and is a bugger on my knees.
    Having a huge range of weights and barbells which I cannot have at home due to lack of space
  • K398
    K398 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to manage a gym in the late 80's early 90's and competed in powerlifting. I can absolutely confirm that I have gotten far better results for overall fitness at home by using a good workout space with body-weight exercises, good adjustable dumbbells (Ironmaster), HIIT, Tabata, a TRX, and a Concept2 rower. I go at my own pace, don't have anyone bothering me, I don't have to go anywhere, and my workouts are only limited by my imagination. For what it costs to travel to a gym and the membership, you can outfit your home gym in a small amount of space and get fantastic results. I did have Olympic weights, cages, stands and benches with the dumbbells, but I sold everything except the dumbbells and one bench a few years ago and started on just fitness with that and some elastic bands and p90x. My body was being torn up by "feats of strength" after 25 years of it. Best thing I ever did and I feel so much better and stronger. I added the TRX, rower, etc. over the years. Just start simple and work your way up.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    The air in the gym has muscles in it so that's why it smells and that's why you can only get results there.</sarcasm>

In other news, most of the bigger guys I know have their own gym if they're trying to be smart money wise.

If you're asking if you can get ripped without weights, well, you can only go so far with body weight. The heavier you can lift, the more muscle you can get.

Well - and there I was thinking it was just steroids! </also sarcasm>

"you can only go so far with body weight."

You can take bodyweight as far as your own limits if you keep progressing the movements. I don't see bodyweight as the poor relations of strength building; it is a skill and strength pursuit in it's own right. You can build more strength without building so much muscle size - depends on what you want to achieve.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

If you're asking if you can get ripped without weights, well, you can only go so far with body weight. The heavier you can lift, the more muscle you can get.

Well - and there I was thinking it was just steroids! </also sarcasm>
    bf47ed587b7e1b4719a19edabd9319c7.jpg
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I live in the middle of nowhere and it's a 35-40 minute car ride to the nearest gym. Plus I have a 3 hour round trip work commute on top of working at least a 10 hour work day. Even if I joined a gym, I would lack motivation to go (other than paying $60/month).

I have an elliptical at home for cardio and I run when the weather is decent. I have dumbbells ranging from 5lbs to 60lbs. I have 3 kettlbells, 10lb, 20lb and 40lb. I have a Swiss ball, a Bosu, and 8lb and 10lb medicine balls. I also use my husbands weight bench bar and plate weights for heavier lifting. I also have a pull up bar.

I can set up a circuit and everything is right there in my basement. No need to go out and drive 40 minutes to get there.

Sure I can't max out my squat at home (no squat rack)..or do lat pull downs on a cable machine....but I can do a pretty challenging workout at home. I've figured out that most common strength exercises can me made way more challenging if done while standing on an upside down Bosu (curls, rows, tricep kickbacks, shoulder press) or using a Swiss ball as a bench (Chest press, chest flys).
  • mizzred4
    Options
    YES YOU CAN! I sincerely, honestly, really have no time for the gym. But I work out 6 days a week at home. Those workouts are spread among these and other at home workouts....

...High intensity intervals (using the iPad app "seconds" I set up the intervals using my music and doing in place "sprints" or jacks for the high intensity), Leslie sansome's many walking at home DVDs (vary from 15 minutes miles to inervals with high intensity to 5 12-minute miles), dance aerobics (tammi web has one to rock and one to Motown that are fun), step aerobics (gin miller's DVD are good and a step at "play it again" type stores are inexpensive), Buns/abs/etc of steel by Tammi Web (weights), shapely girl DVD w circuits (aerobics/weights), various "the firm" workouts suchmas their circuit and weights workouts on giam tv (pay service, but only 10/mo) or on a purchased DVD ...... Etc. etc.

With some relatively inexpensive DVDs from amazon, a set of hand weights, a step, and a small area and a tv you can definitely get fit. I have in the past had a trainer weekly and I am every bit as fit now as i was then. Trainers and gyms are great for specific needs, but far from necessary for getting fit and losing weight! Rock on :glasses:

I have used and still use Leslie Sansone and I found a new one I like of hers on youtube. Completely free. I lost all my weight before my baby without a gym. I am working on it again without a gym. It can be done