Not Losing Weight - MFP calorie counter correct?

Options

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    You can open your diary without divulging any personal information that you don't want out there... we might be able to pinpoint something based on what's on there. Open it?
  • alexroet
    alexroet Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think everyone's advice on here is spot on, and it sounds like you're doing all the right things- it's probably just a matter of time. Super frustrating I know, but, if you're still up after a couple months- then you need another re-eval. But anything can happen in a few weeks. And a HRM is helpful for exercise too. I'm not sure how much I trust mine (it generally tells me I'm burning more than I'd think), so to be safe I generally try to err on the side of underestimating calories out and overestimating calories in.
  • SusanaLdn
    SusanaLdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You can open your diary without divulging any personal information that you don't want out there... we might be able to pinpoint something based on what's on there. Open it?

Yes, I also don't see what an open diary would tell us about you except... what you eat. Pretty hard to track you down on that ;)
    Go on, it makes it a lot easier to help you out :)
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Maybe its simple weight fluctuations?
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Please take a look at this and start here. Never eat 1200 if you don't have to.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I find the MFP exercise database to be too high. For one thing, it tells you how many calories an average person would burn during that time, not the net burn. But you've already accounted for the base calories in your daily calories.

For example, if you run for an hour and run 6 miles, most women's net burn is 600 calories but MFP will probably tell you more like 700 to 1000 depending on how you input it into the database.

A lot of people only eat back 1/2 of their exercise calories to start with until they get an idea of how accurate the numbers are. Why not try that and see if it work better for you?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    IMO it sounds like the exercise cals are maybe over estimated?

Or you are eating a little bit over what you think you are eating.

when I was 175 lbs I thought I didn`t eat a lot and that I was working out hard at the gym and could not understand how my weight kept going up. Then I got real honest about it all and the weight started coming off slowly but surely.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    OMG; that scoobyworkshop calculator can't be right. It says I should be eating 2100 calories to lose TDEE-20%. Nonononononononono! That will never work. Never in a million years!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I'm against eating your exercise calories. You can easily calculate your exercise calories wrong. Plus it has never worked for me in the past.

I recommend not eating your exercise calories, or eating half back and see what happens.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    OMG; that scoobyworkshop calculator can't be right. It says I should be eating 2100 calories to lose TDEE-20%. Nonononononononono! That will never work. Never in a million years!

Yeah, the Scooby calculator seems to work for the very athletic, but for you average middle aged chubby lady, it is very over inflated! It figures your BMR strictly by weight, without taking into consideration your body fat %, which makes a huge difference to those whose BF% is above or below average.
    The activity levels on there also seem to be better fitted to those who are very active thru out the day.

I use the Karch Mcardle BMR calculator and for me, it is much more accurate. It takes your BF% into account.
  • dallas4u
    Options
    So - I tried that Scooby Calculator and here were the numbers.

BMR - 1305 calories
    TDEE - 2251 calories
    Daily calorie (based on Step 6) -1850 calories (Note- I plugged in 5-6 hours a week/strenuous exercise PLUS a goal of losing fat with a 20% calorie reduction. I have a desk job. However, I do work out strenously 4-6 times a week. When I go to the gym, I like to do a class like body pump or cxworks and then elliptical. I love the elliptical and cannot get enough of it).

I am very suspicious of those numbers except the 1305. Moreover, because of my short stature, I really have to be careful. I have the type of metabolism that if I look at a french fry, I could easily lose weight. My build is like Kim Kardashian so I have to watch everything.
  • dallas4u
    Options

That is what I thought. There are so many calculators out there I am overwhelmed. lol.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Read this and follow it and you will lose weight. listen to them or someone who has lost weight? your choice.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    i think you may be over estimating your calories burned.
  • chrisosgood
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned possible muscle gain? You say you are taking a bodypump and cx worx class. How are your clothes fitting? Have you had your body fat taken? You may not see the scale move or see it go up at first especially if you are building muscle back up. been there, done that.
  • dallas4u
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Read this and follow it and you will lose weight. listen to them or someone who has lost weight? your choice.

BOOKMARKED!!!!! I will check it out.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi, for what it's worth, I started here May 2012. I started out with 1200 calories on doctor's recommendation. I was pre diabetic, and I already deal with heart failure. So the last thing I needed was diabetes. My cardiologist told me to start at 1200 calories and walk 30 minutes per day. Which is exactly what I did, some days I didn't get my walk in but I tried really hard to do it most days. Losing was slow....... I'm 54 and post menopausal so losing isn't near as fast or easy as it had been in the past for me. In August I signed up for cross-fit training twice per week with a friend, and walked or got on the elliptical for 20 minutes on other days. It paid off by December 2012 I had lost 35 lbs. and 25+ inches! I have since received a Heart Rate Monitor (Christmas gift) and reached maintenance. I raised my calories to 1530 per day. I've successfully maintained the weight loss and I am in the best shape physically since I was diagnosed with the heart issue in 1999 and gave up running and lifting. I tried the EMTWL (eat more to weigh less) way of life it just didn't work for me, though lots of people have had success with that way of life. I would highly recommend a heart rate monitor as the calorie burn on most equipment and what is in the data base on MFP are guesses at best. The HRM is based on your height and weight, age. The cross-fit training ended in January (really pricey) and I was on my own using the elliptical and weights. In February I started Pure Barre classes. Love it! I wore my HRM and I consistently burn between 413- 465 calories per 55 minute workout. It's much easier on the heart than cross-fit. Weight loss is a very personal journey and everyone is different, what works for me isn't going to work for everyone and tips that work for others don't work for me. You have to be patient, and tweak your program. When eating 1200-1500 calories, you really have to make sure they count. Chicken, fish, eggs, nuts, avocados, olive oil, green vegetables, fresh fruit, whole grains, low fat dairy and lots of water. You can run out of food and fuel very quickly eating more processed foods. Stick with it and keep trying different ideas, you will find what works for you.
  • missymuffet
    missymuffet Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi, for what it's worth, I started here May 2012. I started out with 1200 calories on doctor's recommendation. I was pre diabetic, and I already deal with heart failure. So the last thing I needed was diabetes. My cardiologist told me to start at 1200 calories and walk 30 minutes per day. Which is exactly what I did, some days I didn't get my walk in but I tried really hard to do it most days. Losing was slow....... I'm 54 and post menopausal so losing isn't near as fast or easy as it had been in the past for me. In August I signed up for cross-fit training twice per week with a friend, and walked or got on the elliptical for 20 minutes on other days. It paid off by December 2012 I had lost 35 lbs. and 25+ inches! I have since received a Heart Rate Monitor (Christmas gift) and reached maintenance. I raised my calories to 1530 per day. I've successfully maintained the weight loss and I am in the best shape physically since I was diagnosed with the heart issue in 1999 and gave up running and lifting. I tried the EMTWL (eat more to weigh less) way of life it just didn't work for me, though lots of people have had success with that way of life. I would highly recommend a heart rate monitor as the calorie burn on most equipment and what is in the data base on MFP are guesses at best. The HRM is based on your height and weight, age. The cross-fit training ended in January (really pricey) and I was on my own using the elliptical and weights. In February I started Pure Barre classes. Love it! I wore my HRM and I consistently burn between 413- 465 calories per 55 minute workout. It's much easier on the heart than cross-fit. Weight loss is a very personal journey and everyone is different, what works for me isn't going to work for everyone and tips that work for others don't work for me. You have to be patient, and tweak your program. When eating 1200-1500 calories, you really have to make sure they count. Chicken, fish, eggs, nuts, avocados, olive oil, green vegetables, fresh fruit, whole grains, low fat dairy and lots of water. You can run out of food and fuel very quickly eating more processed foods. Stick with it and keep trying different ideas, you will find what works for you.

Dallas this is the best advice anyone can give you..........be patient.............experiment and find your own 'sweet spot'........for weight loss. I am still trying to find mine but found out quickly I could not maintain eating at 1200 cals a day for an extended period of time. Everyone is so different and you will find what works for you if you just stick with it. Feel free to add me!! :D Good luck!
    Missy
  • HCGonzalezJr87
    HCGonzalezJr87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You need to find your base first. You can search online or you can set your goal on MFP to maintain weight. Then, record that number, and edit your goal again to lose 2lbs per week.

Example
    My base is 2490 calories a day to maintain.
    To lose 2lbs per week, I need to have a 1,000 calorie per day deficit.
    1490 calories if I don't work out. If I do work out I log it and MFP will add what I burnt to my daily goal, about 2100 calories.
    I have done this in the past and lost 2lbs per week on average. This week I lost 2.6lbs.

Also, try a 40/40/20 diet. 40% carbs, protein, and 20% fat and eat every 3 hours. I usually have about 5 meals per day. And MFP default exercise calories might be higher than what you are burning. If you use a machine at the gym, enter your weight to get a close estimate.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Have you started exercising more than before? I have found that whenever I increase my exercise my body holds onto more water in my muscles and it shows up as weight gain on the scale. If 1500 worked for you before then that may be a good place to start with your calories. I would not eat back exercise calories unless you don't have enough energy to continue your workouts.