Just how poisonous is laundry detergent?

Options

Replies

• jordansilvia
    jordansilvia Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is literally the craziest thing I've ever heard in my entire life. This girl has some serious problems and needs help (a straight jacket and padded room maybe). Toilet cleaner is for toilets, and laundry detergent for laundry.

The girl needs to go.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it is time for a new roommate.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Find a new roommate or a new place to live IMMEDIATELY. GEEZ.

ETA: I think it's noble that you feel sorry for her, but your personal health and well being is more important.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    and people think I'm a snob for saying I refuse to live with/have flatmates !!

It's the toilet cleaner on the pans that would do it for me ! (it's vile and just wrong)
    also we used to have a a guy (my mums church go-er) who refused to dry using the kitchen towels, but choose the paper towels....until we stopped buying them
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Ever buy coffee anywhere? I found out one of the places I get coffee runs bleach through their coffee machine daily...

That is a good thing. Bleach won't kill you if ingested, unless you drink it straight. Even then, it'll burn you pretty badly but probably not kill you.

Bleach water is recommended for disinfecting lots of things. It also rinses pretty cleanly... because it's easily diluted.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    All places that serve food will clean items that can't be run through a high temp dishwasher.

Yeah, it's usually called "dish sanitizer" in this use case. (And you want this to happen - soap doesn't kill germs (it emulsifies) - this does.)
    she told me "that's only science" and you can't believe everything science says...

This is probably more true than anyone would like to admit - but I LOLed anyway. :)

Otherwise - unless there is a machine involved - you're probably ok using many soaps outside of the window they are marketed for. Especially, if they are well rinsed with, as you mentioned, "boiling water". (Although - depending on what you meant by toilet cleaner - you'd probably want to wear gloves.)
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Boiling water doesn't "kill" germs in cleaning solutions. They are called "CLEANing Solutions" for a reason... they dont have germs in them! And one simple rinse with boiling water isn't necessarily going to wash away all the soap either. Scrub pots and pans with toilet bowl cleaner?!?!?!? This woman is seriously stupid or just nuts.

Time to buy your own plates, bowls, silverware and cookware and lock it in your bedroom! Then start looking for a new housemate or a new place to live!
    ^^THIS!
  • suzetteducrepe
    suzetteducrepe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Roommates: Why I live alone!

:explode:
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I would be more worried for the health of your room mate! My Grandmother used to clean her false teeth in bleach and then complained of indegestion!!! A quick lesson in the uses of bleach soon corrected her thinking, but I fear that you made need something a little more direct! Time for some tough decisions I fear!
  • very dangerous those pods are killing kids who eat them.
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Ever buy coffee anywhere? I found out one of the places I get coffee runs bleach through their coffee machine daily...

Bleach is chlorine.. Its in your drinking water and swimming pools, when diluted its fine.

Also chlorine bleach off-gasses pretty quickly. If you leave a bucket of water standing for 24 hrs the chlorine will offgass and be gone. (This is what you do for chlorinated water if you want to use it in a fishtank but ran out of de-chlorinator.) If you want it to offgass quicker, aerate the water- swizzle it around for a while to get more air in it and make it offgass quicker. I see no problem at all with running bleach through a coffee machine, especially if you run water through it afterward.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Ick! :sick:

I agree with the people who said your own health comes first. Since she won't listen to you, it's time to protect yourself and get away from her.

If you really want to help her, there are organizations that help immigrants and refugees. They offer advice and assistance in finding housing, learning daily life skills, and adapting to life in their new country. See if you can refer her to a place like this.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Ick! :sick:

I agree with the people who said your own health comes first. Since she won't listen to you, it's time to protect yourself and get away from her.

If you really want to help her, there are organizations that help immigrants and refugees. They offer advice and assistance in finding housing, learning daily life skills, and adapting to life in their new country. See if you can refer her to a place like this.

She's already involved with those organisations, she just doesn't seem to think she needs to adapt to anything. Sigh.

I'm looking for apartments now. This place is cheap, but I can afford to spend a little more for my health...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

How is not having a high school education ANYONE'S fault other than her own???

Long story short, she's originally from a third-world country where education prospects were dim for women anyway, and which is currently in a state of civil war. That's why I feel sorry for her; she'd have difficulty finding another place to stay. I wonder how much of it is cultural. On the other hand, political correctness is no reason to be held hostage in my own house.

none of what you describe is cultural. It sounds like she has obsessive compulsive disorder and to be honest I can't believe there's been so many post saying she's crazy or even psychotic...? (i.e. pretty appalling attitudes towards people with mental health problems....!!!)

She would benefit from therapy (I think cognitive behaviour therapy is good for OCD). What country do you live in now? Does she have medical insurance? Can you get her to see a GP or whatever your country's equivalent of a GP is? You mentioned that she's a refugee, usually there are ways for refugees to access psychiatric services free of charge. Many of them suffer from PTSD (she may have this and it may be underlying the OCD, because they're both anxiety disorders and can be related). In any case, do what you can to get her referred to whatever psychiatric services are available for her, because it really sounds like she needs help. Trying to be rational to her when she clearly has a deepseated and irrational fear of germs or whatever else is underpinning her behaviour will get you nowhere. And thank you for caring about her enough to not kick her out in the street.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Don't drink or eat Laundry detergent.
    Lot of calories?
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    So, should I be worried about what I've been eating unknowingly? :frown:

Not as much as continuing to live with that fruit-loop of a house mate.
    Give her the boot.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Throw her out or leave....
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Housemate seems odd

Having said that, forget the plastic chopping boards and use the wooden one (wash it first if she's going to leave raw chicken dirt on it!!!). Wooden boards have natural resins that kill germs better than the plastic ones where despite cleaning germs can get caught in the texture.

YUCK!

Raw meat should NEVER be cut on a wooden chopping board. Use wooden boards for fruit and veggies only. Use plastic for meat. Heck my dad, a microbiologist, refuses to even cook with a wooden spoon anymore because you can never get those things clean enough.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Housemate seems odd

Having said that, forget the plastic chopping boards and use the wooden one (wash it first if she's going to leave raw chicken dirt on it!!!). Wooden boards have natural resins that kill germs better than the plastic ones where despite cleaning germs can get caught in the texture.

YUCK!

Raw meat should NEVER be cut on a wooden chopping board. Use wooden boards for fruit and veggies only. Use plastic for meat. Heck my dad, a microbiologist, refuses to even cook with a wooden spoon anymore because you can never get those things clean enough.

research indicates that whilst bacteria may be absorbed into the board they soon die. Plastic boards, especially those well used, have deep knife cuts that can a) retain bacteria and b) introduce small amounts of plastic into your food.

I will carry on using my wooden chopping boards and wooden spoon. I have never had food poisoning.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The only part of any of it that really concerns me health wise is the cutting board not getting washed. Laundry detergent and dish detergent are pretty much the same except for the sudsing action. Toilet bowl cleaner may do a good job on pots and isn't going to be toxic if it's rinsed off. There aren't many household cleaning products sold that will actually hurt you. The powers that be have made sure that we can't hurt ourselves!