Eating Exercise Calories? Not Eating Exercise Calories?

Options
I have read that you should eat exercise calories.. or you should not. It makes sense to me to eat the calories MFP gives us then what we exercise is that much more we burn.. or am I looking at this wrong?

Thoughts, ideas?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If you are following the way that MFP is set up, then yes you eat them back

If you are doing TDEE/BMR, then it depends on how you calculate.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories, but I also don't stick to a strict cals/day goal. Working with a nutritionist, my daily goal is 1900 cals, but I try to stay in a range of 1900-2000. I figure any exercise cals I burn are just a bonus.

BUT - I'm in weight loss mode with a lot of weight to lose, and 1900 cals is plenty to keep me going even if I do burn off 400-500 cals with exercise. When I get closer to my weight goal I'll definitely be re-evaluating and doing some experimenting with eating back my exercise calories.
  • caite1988
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I think that right now I will not eat my exercise calories.. but later when I am closer to goal, may readjust.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I think that right now I will not eat my exercise calories.. but later when I am closer to goal, may readjust.

Actually, you should readjust when you hit your instead plateau.