Serving size?

Options
What is considered a serving of meat? How many oz should you consume in a single meal? Is it different depending type of meat?

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    4oz is considered a serving size
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    4 oz is technically a serving size, but the quantity I eat is usually based on the amount of calories I have left for the day. Also, 4 oz of fatty beef =/= 4 oz of seafood based on nutritional value imo.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    What is considered a serving of meat? How many oz should you consume in a single meal? Is it different depending type of meat?

Like ittybitty said, 4oz is usually considered a serving size. However, how much you eat and when you eat is all dependent on your macro/calorie needs.

I'll save calories all day to eat a 12oz steak for dinner when the occasion arises and I am able to plan that. Just track it and you should be good.
  • vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    According to canada food guide, 3 oz is a serving of meat, or a portion the size of the palm of your hand (bigger hands get bigger servings). "the size of a deck of cards" is another common serving size for meat in Canada. You will notice that these are all drastically different sizes. Personally I find that extremely aggravating and enjoy MFP in part because I don't have to think about it; I control my proteins based on how many dozens over on my protein macro they're likely to put me.