Going over calories?

Options
So i try to stay under my calorie goal everyday and if I go over one day i try to make it up the next day by eating less, but I'm finding it very difficult to stay under my calorie goal on sundays, thats usually the day that my mom makes some really good food. So is it ok to go over calories once a week? I went over my calories today, I had some ice cream I didn't log and a small piece of stew chicken. the thing is after i eat that I don't feel stuffed i feel content and energized not that I felt sluggish before I just feel better now. Btw I'm really close to my gaol weight only 6 lbs away. I don't really want to hear about cheat meals because i do that often as long as it fits into my calories and macros. Would it be ok for me to go over my calories once a week every Sunday or just stick to meeting my calorie goal every week?

Replies

• mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Personally I think going over once a week is not a bad thing (just so it is not 1000s). There are a lot of programs out there that allow a cheat day each week.
  • mghanie
    mghanie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks, anyone else?
  • Starrynightgrl45
    Starrynightgrl45 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day every week and it keeps me sane. I've lost 6 kgs before starting MFP and it has never put me back. I just try to go for an extra walk in the evening and still to my calories the rest of the week. I keep in mind anything I am craving through the week and if I still want it, then I get it on cheat day. Great motivator too!

Keep up the great work and you'll get there! :)
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to have at least one cheat day.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a bad thing at all, and as long as you are monitoring your weight, you will soon spot if it is causing any issues.
    Most humans don't adhere to a set calorie amount each day, they just fall into a natural rhythm, unless counting calories or trying to lose weight like many on here.

Also, your profile photo is stunning.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    When setting with MFP, it creates a deficit, so for you eat just even 100-200 calories over, your probably not even eating maintenance calories, so, it's okay!
  • lymanlouis
    Options
    If you're already eating at a deficit then going over is still less than your maintenance level so you're fine. My maintenance is about 2500 and my current level is 1700. Even if I go over by 500 calories one day I'm still at a deficit and on the right side of the coin. Don't worry about it unless, as someone else said, you're over by 1000's.

You've got this!
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So i try to stay under my calorie goal everyday and if I go over one day i try to make it up the next day by eating less, but I'm finding it very difficult to stay under my calorie goal on sundays, thats usually the day that my mom makes some really good food. So is it ok to go over calories once a week? I went over my calories today, I had some ice cream I didn't log and a small piece of stew chicken. the thing is after i eat that I don't feel stuffed i feel content and energized not that I felt sluggish before I just feel better now. Btw I'm really close to my gaol weight only 6 lbs away. I don't really want to hear about cheat meals because i do that often as long as it fits into my calories and macros. Would it be ok for me to go over my calories once a week every Sunday or just stick to meeting my calorie goal every week?
    Some days under, some days over (a little)...it all evens out
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    I have read that it actually can be beneficial to eat more on some days. It shakes your body up and keeps it guessing. I had a quick look at your diary and I really think you shouldn't beat yourself up over it, mainly coz eating around 1400 cals is too little anyway, especially if you exercise. Find your TDEE (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them) and try not to eat over that number and you should be fine :)
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My only advice would be to track everything you eat, even if you go over. It's no big deal to go over, but you need to log everything and get into that habit. It helps you to develop good eating habits.
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I always have a cheat day... weekends in general i dont always eat "healthy" but try to stay within my goal. However i rarely log everything sundays because i know i will be over, but thats okay with me. I just try to limit it to one day of the weekend that goes over my goal! It has worked for me and i am also about 6 lbs away from goal. If i go waayy over one day, i will eat less the next day or days... good luck :smile:
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It's not bad. Going over occasionally keeps your metabolism guessing. That's my theory anyway.
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yup, did it today as a matter of fact.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I go over quite often. I'm eating below maintenance anyhow (though much more than mfp suggests) so like others said, if I go over, I'm still good by the end of the week.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't give myself a 'cheat meal' or anything but I don't worry if I go over. I try to look at it as the week overall. Today I went to my parents house and my dad made cheese enchiladas from scratch. Each tortilla was 190 calories. Plus the ridiculous amount of cheese. So today I'm over by 250. All that means to me is that over the rest of the week, I will cut 40 calories a day so that my calorie average at the end of the week is the same.
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My goodness, once a week is really nothing. If you stay within your goals 6 days a week, that's amazing.
  • mghanie
    mghanie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys, but I went over my weekly goal too by 370, but I plan to make up for it tomorrow by eating less, and I'm going to start to buckle down and say no to eating extra unless its under my weekly goal. I guess I'm overly critical about everything because I haven't lost weight in 4 months and I have been mostly eating in a deficit in that time.