Question for women with children

Options
Hi. So I have a question. I need to lose a total of 80lbs to hit my goal weight. I have had 2 children and hit 260lbs carrying both of them. I am concerned about how my stomach will look when I hit my goal. I personally do not believe in surgery to fix a problem that I created. If I lose the weight at a gradual pace and really focus on building up my abs what are the chances that my stomach will return to looking somewhat normal? I am not saying I want to wear a 2 piece or anything I just really don't want be stuck with the hang over for the rest of my life. Any suggestions?

Replies

• lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have children though have about 70 pounds or so left but I do have a friend with 4 kids that went from above 200 to about 130 and her stomach is pretty much flat - I had no idea that she had been overweight until we were talking one day in a group about working out and she had mentioned something about taking about a year to lose the weight. So I would say yes it is possible but takes a lot of work and really watching what you eat
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight with my daughter (about 70-80 lbs) obviously more than just pregnancy weight. Some of it was water that went away right away and the other bulk of that I lost through weight watchers years ago then maintained at a comfortable weight. I'm about 20-25 lbs away from my goal. I have lost most of the weight that was on my gut and I have to say that it looks like the skin on my lower stomach will always look like a deflated balloon. The upper portion isn't too bad other than some small stretch marks. I can see some ab definition etc... If at some point I really don't like the loose skin look on my lower abdomen, I would probably have to get surgery to fix it.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be a size 6 headed for a size 4 with some extra skin, than a size 18 with a huge firm belly, but that's just me.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be a size 6 headed for a size 4 with some extra skin, than a size 18 with a huge firm belly, but that's just me.

This. I was really loathing the possibility of having a super ugly stomach, but heck, who cares, the only one who sees it is my husband, and he obviously doesn't care. lol. I was 225 at my highest (pregnant). I'm now 140, and yes I have some saggy, extra skin, but its really not that bad. Just exercise, eat right, and it will start looking better. :)
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    If I ever lose the weight I want I will be looking into a tummy tuck.
  • caseypaige84
    caseypaige84 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that I would much rather be thin and a little flabby than the size I am now. I just want to try and do as much as I can to help myself out before I hit my goal.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I gained 85, 80, and 50lbs with my pregnancies. I have a bit of loose skin, especially when I bend over or if I don't have great posture when sitting. I hit 205is, and I am now at 126.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Eat sensibly loads of veggies, lean proteins, make sure you get some good fats, and don't overdo the processed foods. Excercise. Drink loads of water. Moisturize. Probably most important - lose your weight slowly to give your skin a chance to keep up with your changing body. This is what I am telling myself will give me the best chance and it seems to be working!! :drinker: My heaviest weight pregnant was over 250 and I was at 160 post baby without lose skin - I'm back on the wagon again! Good luck on your journey.
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I lost weight after my first pregnancy and even got to below pre-pregnancy weight i had a flat stomach but excess skin sag around the pooch area. However i got a *kitten* tonne of stretch marks so i suspect that has screwed my skin elasticity in that region anyway. This time when i get that flat stomach again im going to keep it instead of eating all the pies.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Ya never know until you do it. Make sure to lift and get enough protein while losing.

I reached 190 with all 3 children but got back down to a healthy weight each time. My stomach shows very little evidence of carrying children.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    try searching this site for "derma roller". I saw a thread on this recently.
  • Diyah13
    Diyah13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have had two children, and at my heaviest I was at 245. Now that I'm losing that weight (my goal is to reach 125 and I'm at 177.4 right now), my stomach seems to be shrinking with it. How do I know? I had a hard time finding pants that didn't make my legs look huge, but had some room to tuck that tummy in. I was in plus sizes for a while, and now I'm in regular, classic-fitting clothes. I expect to keep that baby pouch, but it looks like it'll be in proportion to my size. I hope this helps.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    bump..mine isnt super huge, but big enough to give me problems..i would love to know what to do..they say after age 30, skin is harder to tighten up, and im past 30..best of luck